Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | 9A5N Solid State CW Paddles Help

Reviews Summary for 9A5N Solid State CW Paddles
9A5N Solid State CW Paddles Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Euros 200-235
Description: The 9A5N Solid State CW Paddles bring a new paradigm to
the art of CW. These paddles have no mechanical parts such
as bearings, contacts, springs, magnets, or adjustment
screws. Instead, they use solid state silicon sensors to
detect the minute deflection of the levers that the finger
pieces are attached to. A microprocessor detects the output
from the sensors and creates the dot and dash outputs. You
can set the activation force from 10 grams to 50 grams right
on the paddle.
Solid State sensors detect force applied to the finger
pieces.
Force is settable between 10 and 50 grams on the paddle
Silent operation
Immune to temperature and humidity changes
Available in single lever and iambic models
No bearings
No contacts
No mechanical adjustments
No magnets or springs
Four pound stainless steel no-slip base
Runs 700 hours on two AA batteries
Auto-off to conserve power
Distributed and sold in USA by Pro-Paddles/QRPworks
More info: http://web.hamradio.hr/9a5n/index.php/solid-state-cw-paddle

You can write your own review of the 9A5N Solid State CW Paddles.

W9RGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2017 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best single lever paddle I have ever had. And I have had many in the 50+ years I have been using keyers, from hacksaw blades, home brew J-38 paddles, Benchers, Kents, Begalis, K8RAs UR5CDXs, TWs. Shipping from Croatia was prompt and the downloadable instructions are well done.

G4RMV Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2017 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Morse Paddle  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Solid State CW Paddle
I have an Iambic Twin Paddle Morse key from Neno 9A5N, he manufactured to my specific specification with narrow paddle levers, 3mm (Left Paddle) 1mm (air gap) and 3mm Right Paddle) 7mm overall paddle distance. Once the initial setup was completed (fit the batteries and attach the paddle levers), only the weight of the paddle actions requires programme adjustment and this only if you prefer a slightly heavier action than what the key comes with (Not Difficult). Once completed, this key sprang into action. It is one of the finest keys I have used. No Mechanical gaps or movement is just how I like my Iambic paddles and this key fulfils my expectations to the letter.
I thoroughly recommend this key to anyone who wants an exquisite paddle/key.

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2016 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently obtained a 9A5N Solid State Single Lever Paddle and agree with all of the previous reviews. This is the smoothest operating paddle/key that I used in my 63 years as a ham operating mostly cw which includes the use of Begali, N3ZN, and other high quality paddles/keys. I did find the original finger piece to be a bit short for me and substituted a wooden finger piece from IK1OJM which is superb.

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Touch  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a single lever version from 9A5N customized to my specification. Mine has a stainless base and a brushed aluminum top with no logo, beautifully industrial in its appearance. The base is massive and does not move...period.

I have a dozen high end paddles from a original N2DAN to a couple N3ZN single levers, to Begali's, Kent, Vibroplex, Original Brown Brothers etc. When I bought my N3ZN SLR I quit looking, until I came across this paddle. It uses a MEM device for the keying element, so it's not "capacitive"like many touch paddles, and the touch is adjustable. It doesn't have a cheezy bit of circuit board sticking out. The feel is a bit like tapping your smartphone's screen. To understand the feel set your smart phone on its edge and paddle that sucker. Of course the actual paddle part is like a regular paddle, much thinner than a smart phone but the sensation is well emulated by this experiment.

It allows me to send really clean code. As I've aged I've developed fairly severe peripherial neuropathy in my hands which affects my sensation of touch and this paddle allows accurate code despite my issue. The sensation of sending is very much "extension of my will" as the feel is precise and consistent for each element you create. The CW just spills out of my hand and into the radio. Neno was a joy to work with and I got exactly the paddle I wanted. Highly recommend.

DK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 04:38 Send this review to a friend
What a great key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an amazing piece of hardware :).
I tried it on HAMRADIO Fair in Friederichshafen and said: must have it.
No moving parts, no contacts, time to time you have to change the batteires and that's it.
With 9A5N Solid Stade CW Padlle (I am using a twin one) CW is a music.

W8SDG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Top Shelf Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've spent the past year investigating paddles. My testing has been side-by-side comparing 2-5 paddles, gap set with feeler gauges and tension set with dynamometer. By increasing keyer rate 5 wpm at a time, I compared my error rate at speeds from 15 to 50 wpm. I also noted the subjective sense of touch associated with each key. Then I adjusted gap and tension and repeated the tests. It's been lots of fun, I've improved my own keying, and I now have more than 40 keys and paddles that I'll be offering at local swap meets.

I found no better paddles than the 9A5N double and single paddles. They tied for first place with the Schurr Profi and Scheunemann Einhebel. Blindfolded, I find no difference between the Profi and the dual lever 9A5N and the same goes for the Einhebel and the 9A5N single lever.

Next best? Bencher's Mercury. Third place? Hamco's Scotia. Those also are keepers.

Incidentally, I like these so much that I've asked builder Nenad Rotter to create a straight key using the same technology. If he does, I hope for an equal to the Schurr HandTaste, the finest (fastest error free) straight key I've come across.

N3KS Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2015 18:18 Send this review to a friend
It Really is a New Paradigm in CW Paddles  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I enjoy sending CW with a paddle, have a reasonable collection of them, and thought I would give this new 9A5N Solid State CW Paddle a try. I chose the dual-lever model. The ease of sending and accuracy of this paddle is by far the best of the paddles I have tried, and I have tried many. I was concerned that the motionless feel of the paddle would be an issue for me - but it turns out that for me the 'feel' is even better than any mechanical or optical paddle I have ever used. This paddle really shines when you decide to start sending fast. The lack of mechanical motion and freedom from potential missed circuit closures makes for really smooth fast CW sending. The base is quite solid and there is no undesired movement while sending. For my taste, the supplied finger paddles were just the right length - not too long or too short. The finger 'force' is adjustable, however the setting right out of the box seemed great to me and I havenít adjusted it.
The paddles I ordered were shipped quickly and nicely packed.
In summary, after receiving the first paddle, I liked it so much I ordered two more for my contest station in Costa Rica.
Kam N3KS