Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Jetstream JTD1 Discone Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Jetstream JTD1 Discone Antenna
Jetstream JTD1 Discone Antenna Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $43.95
Description: Wideband discone antenna (with no vertical radiator), 25-1300 MHz receive, 144,220,440,900,1290 MHz transmit (200W max. 32" high X 32" wide). Same as Workman T601 and available under following manufacturer names: Jetstream, Workman, Tram, Opek, Midland, Alan and others.
More info: http://www.jetstream-usa.biz/product_info.php?products_id=39599

You can write your own review of the Jetstream JTD1 Discone Antenna.

N3HFS Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2015 20:48 Send this review to a friend
Good quality build and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had terrific results from a rather expensive discone antenna I used nearly twenty years ago to great effect with 144, 220, and 440 MHz rigs. This wasn't my main VHF+ antenna, but it served as really nice secondary antenna for local (Baltimore) repeaters and for basic suburban/local simplex work. Additionally, I could use it for GMRS and for monitoring all sorts of frequncies on my scanner.

Fast-forward to last week when I took delivery of this Jetstream JTD1 antenna. It will serve pretty much the same duties here in Seattle as the discone antenna I had back then near Baltimore, mounted just below my Diamond CX-333 multi-collinear 2m-220-440 antenna up on my roof about 400' above the Puget Sound.

This antenna - which cost me a mere $34 at the K1CRA online store, is made with the same solid steel elements (8 rods for the "cone" and 8 more for the "disc") and a very nicely machined central core piece that received the threaded elements without any binding or complaint. Fortunately, I had a very small wrench (9/32") for tightening down the nuts, but a small adjustable wrench or even a pair of slip-lock pliers will do the job. For portable use, this antenna will easily break down into its included storage sleeve to take up very little space for storage or transportation - reassembly or disassembly should take well under 5 minutes. The SO-238 connector is fine (no threading or size problems), and I understand that an N-connector version is also available. The antenna at my QTH is mounted on schedule-40 PVC pipe, but be sure the outer diameter is at or under 1-3/8" because the antenna fits OVER (rather than being clamped to) the mast. Also, keep in mind that the feed line has to exit the mast somewhere - often a lot easier to accomplish with PVC fittings than with steel! Be sure to have a properly angled exit from the mast if you are using a stiff or otherwise limited-bending-radius feed line.

With good-quality LMR-400 feed line, I can work pretty much all of the metro area on this one alone, and have the flexibility of hooking up nearly any transceiver on or over 2 meters while getting great SWR results and very good signal out. Despite the reputation of having "zero gain," I have always found this antenna design to perform very well in urban and suburban environments. I really believe that this antenna design performs as well as any other dipole design, and the added "widebandedness" advantages simply complete the package!

To make my long story short, just allow me to say that this antenna seems to be of very nice quality and, based on my initial evaluation, I expect it to last me quite a long time - perhaps 10 years or even many more - up on my roof. For the price, this purchase was a STEAL! And it led me to making this my very first eHam review.