Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | MFJ-148RC Dual Time Zone Clock With ID Timer Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-148RC Dual Time Zone Clock With ID Timer
Reviews: 7 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: Dual Time Zones, Digital Readout, Atomic Timekeeping Thru WWV, 10 Minute Timer for ID reminder
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-148RC

You can write your own review of the MFJ-148RC Dual Time Zone Clock With ID Timer.

K4HZF Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2016 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had clock for just over 3 months. Purchased from Universal Radio for 55.95 (how can MFJ itself charge more[?]). Locks up just about every night in Falls Church, VA in perhaps not the greatest location (basement ham shack). Instructions are minimal - but read carefully, particularly about sequence with battery. I asked MFJ what logic it uses to lock up WWVB since normally only mid-night reception is likely. They didn't know. When first turned on (auto mode) it seemed to search in daytime but seems (?) now to only attempt reception when likely (say 1 - 5 am local). Well satisfied and in fact comparing with atomic watch and another atomic clock it appears to be more sensitive (yes I know it's not really "atomic"!)

K9SQG Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2016 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Exchanged one works better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
MFJ exchanged my first one with another new one very, very quickly. They even paid the postage both ways! The new one is dramatically more sensitive, receives the time signal considerably more than the first clock, and both clocks seem to be staying synchronized. These findings are based upon roughly two weeks with the replacement clock. So far, I'm impressed. Now to give it the test of time...

K9SQG Rating: 0/5 Jul 14, 2016 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Experience lowers rating.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After some months of use, I have lowered my initial rating of "4". After the original set-up and sync, it hasn't received a WWV signal since. As a result, both clocks are running slower, with one being 15 seconds slow, the other 17 seconds slow. If linear, it will take a year to fall a minute behind WWV time. Maybe not a major issue, but my other atomic clock that I bought for 1/3 the price receives the WWV signal at least weekly, and often daily. Location doesn't affect reception on the cheap clock, but the MFJ dual clock no longer receives a signal no matter where I put it, even outside. Under these circumstances it is basically a manually set clock and thus overpriced for what you get.

KB2FJD Rating: 2/5 May 16, 2016 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor WWV Reception  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very disappointed with this Clock, I bought this clock for the shack to keep accurate time, I can not get the clock to sync with WWV in auto or manual mode. this clock needs a more sensitive receiver for locations in the northeast.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2016 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am not an MFJ fan. Hams who read the eHam reviews know there seem to be ongoing quality control issues. So with some trepidation, I purchase the MFJ-148RC from Universal Radio for about $55. There aren't a lot of choices for dual display digital clocks. When the clock arrived, I was very please with the appearance and quality of construction. It has a lot of nice features, including a built-in bail to position the clock vertically without the need for additional hardware. It can also be mounted directly on the wall. The display is easily read from more than 15 feet away. The atomic clock syncing function got the clock up and running in about 2 minutes after the batteries were installed.

This clock provides everything I need in a dual time clock. I highly recommend this product.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

K6SPY Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for shack desk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a neat shack accessory! After a lot of time spent indoors trying to get the atomic clock to sync, I went outside (it is 20 degrees here today!). It took a few trips around the yard moving and holding the unit in all kinds of strange positions to get the receiver to locate a solid signal, but it eventually honed in and now keeps PERFECT time. I'm thinking my neighbors got a kick out of watching me do that! hihi

KT0DD Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2015 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Dual digital readout, WWV Atomic Time.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had mine a couple of weeks now. I always wanted a station clock in black color to match my equipment but could only find silver or wood color.

The numbers are about 2 inches tall. It has a back bail for desk use and a mounting hole in back for wall mounting, but don't go very high as the display washes out quite a bit at an upward viewing angle, so I gave it a 4 out of 5. Desk use is probably best. I wall mounted mine at eye level and it works pretty good. I don't use the ID timer but it's nice to have. There's also a button on top to activate the backlight but it's only momentary. It runs on 2 AA batteries. Overall, I like it. YMMV