Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM
RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550
Description: The analyzer is designed for measuring SWR (standing wave ratio), return loss, cable loss, as well as other parameters of cable and antenna systems in the range of 100 kHz to 230 MHz. A built-in ZOOM capability makes graphical measurements especially effective. An integrated Time Domain Reflectometer mode can be used to locate a fault within the feedline system.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com/index?s=aa230zoom

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-230 ZOOM.

W0TDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2017 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received AA-230 a few days ago. Two day delivery from DX Engineering. There has been a price reduction... :)) I have had an MFJ analyzer many years ago, this is much better. Right out of the box it confirmed my Double extended Zepp on 75Mtrs was pretty close. Even the 4 element Bobtail Curtain on 40 Mtrs, my Tri-Bander and 2Mtr vertical are right in the Ball Park.
Just put up a 6 element Six Mtr Bobtail yesterday. Still testing, but showing good promise. The AA-230 is taking the guess work out building antennas. It has several other jobs in-store for it, including tweaking a hmbrw 4 element Six Mtr beam. Very happy with the AA-230. Only negative would be the flickering on "All". Still getting used to the software. Screen captures are easy.
My friend W4OP has had one of the more expensive models for several years...and very happy with it.
73, Tom W0TDH

VE3KKQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2017 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Why buy anything else?
Does a great job and there is to be an Android app soon.
I can see only one problem with it...once you have all your antennas sorted out the way you want them...what do you do with it?
I guess you could donate it to the local club or sell it like the guy I got it from.

KN6SU Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2017 00:24 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With this device you can analyze and tune your HF-VHF antennas far more easily and quickly than you could with non-graphic analyzers like the MFJ and Comet. It's not cheap. but the Comet costs about as much. And if you don't mind spending a great deal more time, you can get the job done with the MFJ-259 for about half the cost. Bu if you have to check antennas a lot and want to make quick work of it, the AA230 Zoom is about perfect. And the zoom function is extremely useful.

AA1K Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent instrument  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this in December 2015 and had initial setup problems but got a quick response from the company -- on a weekend -- and resolved the issue (needed firmware update). I have used an MFJ-269 for years but the hand-size AA-230 Zoom is so much more convenient for taking up the tower and it is easy to read the display even in bright sunlight. It fits in a large shirt pocket or small tool bag. My only suggestion would be to have a case or hook to attach a lanyard so there's no risk of dropping while up a tower.

KM5YV Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2016 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Super tool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the AA-230 to replace a MFJ-259 which I have used for many years. The AA-230 has worked flawlessly.It provides all the information needed in building antenna and working with coax. A well built unit with very good features. I did upgrade to the latest firmware and I do recommend to do that (it free to update).
Super Instrument!

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Quality Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased to replace an MFJ-259C. This small handheld analyzer is amazing, and works exceptionally. The analyzer is rock stable with an attractive color display. Uses 4 AAA Nimh rechargeable or regular batteries vs 10 for the MFJ. Light years ahead of the MFJ. A bit pricey, but one of the best purchases I have made.

G4AON Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had concerns about being able to view the colour screen in sunlight, having been assured by a user that it wasn't a problem, I replaced my MFJ-259B with one.

Another Rigexpert review complained about the N socket centre connector and battery cover. I have no such issues with my AA-230.

There wasn't a CD of software supplied in the box, however it's a free download from their site. The upgrade tool and Windows software work well, although tying the analyser to a PC seems a bit pointless to me, it's an antenna measuring tool and is easy to use "stand alone" either outdoors or in the shack.

While the illustrations show an orange colour scheme, in bright light I find the blue scheme seems easier to see.

Battery life is excellent, setting a frequency and span only takes a moment and you can view 5 bands at once.

I've yet to use the SWR2Air tone transmission in anger, but it might be handy for remote antenna matching. You select the SWR meter display and select a frequency to listen on (eg 145.4). You listen to the tone on a hand held, while adjusting the antenna/matching. The tone transmission is independent of the frequency you are using to test the antenna. The better the SWR the higher the pitch and more rapid the pulsing.

All the measurements and checks I've done seem easy and accurate.

K7RTM Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was going to get the RigExpert AA-54 until I discovered this newer model which has a color display and tests 2m. Can't say enough good about it, if you build/tweak or check antennas you must have an analyzer. The MFJ units will get the job done but nothing like the RigExperts. I would get a AA-54 (less expensive than the 230) in a heartbeat over a MFJ, only my opinion. The unit fits well enough sitting diagonal in a 5.11 6 X 6 Padded Pouch still with room for other items.

I hope my 230 holds over the test of time! I LOVE it! Buy it!!

VE3XKD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2016 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Very well made and intuitive to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received this unit to replace a MFJ 269. I wanted a hand held unit with color graphing capabilities for HF thru VHF antenna adjustment. The RigExpert delivered and was a pleasure to use. The display is nice nd bright and operation is fairly simple. I really like how the RigExpert helped me to test my HF delta loop and see antenna characteristics plotted for all ham bands. Adjusting the loop for best compromise SWR across three ham bands was simple once I saw the SWR across all ham bands at once.

Similarly I was able to adjust a 160 meter Inverted L with ease.

Im still exploring all of the capabilities of this analyzer and I feel that it is like a well designed and high quality lab instrument.

SV1IYF Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2016 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece of equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own it almost 3 months now. I must have been an early adopter as mine bears SN 19. It came loaded with firmware 1.1. Upon starting using it seriously the firmware was v.1.5. Since then, I reported 3 bugs that triggered the publishing of firmwares v.1.6, 1.7, 1.8. The maker, RigExpert has been exceptionally responsive and ultra-fast in dealing with my technical queries and feedback.

Regarding the analyzer itself now:
I second VK4SX's expressed opinion. In brief, a very nice and useful measuring instrument. Basic measurements are self intuitive. Diving deeper and especially using it in conjunction with the PC software AntScope involves some learning curve and inherent limitations. For example, one can't share Open-Short-Load calibration data between analyzer and AntScope. The two are incompatible, as the analyzer is more advanced regarding this.

Bottom line:
Despite the above-mentioned shortcomings, I rate it 5/5 as I like it very much and have received very nice technical service from RigExpert.

Nikos sv1iyf