Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version Help

Reviews Summary for Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version
Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: 9 Band HF Transceiver 20 watts
More info: http://www.cqxiegu.com

You can write your own review of the Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version.

W4IA Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2017 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Review Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After almost 3 months of use the radio has proven to be great. Not Elecraft, but good selectivity and operating features for a low power radio.

It needs a stand or bail of some kind, and a decent internal speaker to make it perfect. This is a keeper.

N9PUZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2017 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable HF Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this radio about 6 weeks now. I use it on both CW and SSB. Included filters work well. With just a little speech compression I get good unsolicited audio reports. I had one question about the radio and Xiegu support answered by email promptly. I would buy this radio again. Good value for the price.

PRO:
- Good Receive audio.
- Light weight
- Clear, crisp LCD
- 20W Output provides good SSB "punch"
- Menu is intuitive and easy to operate
- Nice remote control features on supplied microphone

THINGS THAT COULD BE IMPROVED (NOT SHOW STOPPERS):
- Supplied power cord has no inline fuse
- Case has no provisions for mounting

W5GCX Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great for the Price ($460) delivered  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered this little radio from www.radioddity.com. I ordered two including one for another ham. I ordered them on a Friday afternoon and paid with paypal. The box with the two radios arrived the following Thursday afternoon at my doorstop from UPS. Very Fast delivery time from China/Hong Kong and LAX !!

I have used this radio on 20 and 15 with a shortened 3 element beam. Just about anyone I call comes right back to me and when I tell them I'm only running 20 watts they cannot believe it. Signal reports are down 2-3 s units from using 600 watt amplifier but I generally get through all ok. I am using the compressor on position 3 and get good audio reports. An Icom microphone with modular connector also works fine.

Pluses: 1. Small package
2. More than 'qrp' output
3. Sensitive receiver
4. Inclusion of 6.0/ 2.4 & 0.5 khz filters
5. Good display (note that some of the functions are a bit small)
6. Built-in speech compressor
7. Built-in keyer
8. Included multi-function microphone
9. General Coverage Receive
10. Good, intelligible audio via internal speaker

Minuses: 1. The function F1 plastic button popped out. I was able to put it back in with small needle nose pliers.
2. The noise blanker in position NB1, 2 or 3, does very little with the local power company noise
3. The Accessory port connections have limited use.
a) I tried to wire up to the PTT out connection to key my solid state amplifier but it does not provide "normal" amplifier connections, i.e. 'normally open' and 'closed to ground' when the radio is in transmit.
b) Im not sure the ALC connection is functional.

I give it a 4.6

ZL1NAY Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2016 16:46 Send this review to a friend
From humble beginings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 3rd product i own from this company. 2 X1M's and now the X108G.

Xiegu have really come a long way from their X1M model.
Why, because they have listened to their users.

This model is polished. Custom case, OLED display and easy interface.

The functions are almost identical to its sister, the X1M. Small form factor slightly smaller than the FT817 but much better display.

What were optional add ons on the first production run all now seem to be standard, which is great to see.

Im not going to start comparing it to another brand because simply there is nothing to compare it with. The closest i would suspect would be the FT817.

Filtering is excellent with all the "got to have" filters as stock.

Receive is quiet and quite hot for a single conversion design. There are no discernable birdies on my model. Any i can hear are way down and appear to be actual external carriers.
Good audio out from the speaker but much better through a larger one just like any other portable rig. I always use phones except at home.

15W out published, closer to over 20w in reality. Good audio reports. Compression is in the form of presets. Great for new starters.

I really have nothing bad to say. As a portable rig, ideal for sota or throw it in the car.

As a new starter rig, it is ideal and the output power is right on the button. The ability to wind down the power to a watt or so is great for the qrp purists.

Niggles?

The power connector cord is a little light in my opinion and comes without a fuse. The connector itself is adequate for use but again i would like to see something a bit beefier. Dont forget we are only drawing 7 amps here.

The wings as i call them on the front and rear of the case i didnt like when i first saw this model, but now i kind of like them.They do protect the knobs in a sacrificial way and are also handy to attach a strap to.

I would like to see the 2 function buttons on the right of the vfo knob moved to the left only because with the wing on its hard to push with big digits.

Also like to see a rubber gasket behind the vfo knob to keep dust and moisture out. Something i recommend you do if you buy one.

Other than that, a well polished 20w version of its baby sister the X1M.

Would i buy another? yes in a flash.

A no fuss, no confusing menus easy to use rig. What else do you need in a portable rig?

W7KDL Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2016 13:53 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Xlnt xcvr. Read the Manual. It's easy to understand. Reports on all modes (cw, ssb, am) for signal quality are xlnt. Set Mic Compressor to #2 out of 5. Great audio reports "clean and crisp with no distortion." Receiver is very sensitive with low background noise. All receive filters are very effective (6, 2.3, and 0.5 khz). The internal speaker is good but limiting in volume. I added an external 6 x 9" speaker which increased the volume and audio depth. The frequency display is very accurate. I am pleased to have purchased the X108G xcvr and highly recommend it.

CT2FZI Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Fun and performance in an affordable pack!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I could give 4.5 but otherwise it deserves the 5.

I agree with most of the reviews, it performs as advertised, great screen even under sun ligth but the most part is the LOW cost! Its indeed quality you can afford...

Very HOT receiver!! Comparable with other more expensive radios.
The VFO/Function knob is very fragile and it does run a little hot under direct sun light. No issues with AF audio.

The seller at Ebay is selling with 10% discount (http://stores.ebay.com/windcamphamradio/)
This is the official windcamp store.

NE7X Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Works, however cheaply built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a review for my X108G Outdoor HF transceiver I purchased off eBAY.

Firmware version: V1.00.3A March 15 2016

When I first unboxed the radio I heard something ratting inside, then after a few shakes the rattle stopped. Looking inside the speaker grill holes on the top of the transceiver I could see what appeared to be a small round watch battery. I emailed the seller on eBAY and informed him of this. He said I could go ahead and remove the radio from the cabinet and insert the battery back into it’s socket and he would not void the warranty with him. I did this and the radio is now working 100%. However what I discovered by doing this was some interesting things about the radio.

The coax lead from the PCB to the SO-239 had the ground shield not soldered to chassis ground. So I soldered the shield to chassis ground. I also noticed the main VFO/Function control is only attached to the PCB by the three contact pins. It is not mechanically secured to the PCB or the front face escutcheon. One other thing I noticed, the RF outputs are heatsinked to the bottom of the inside of the aluminum cabinet. With the battery falling out during shipping, and these three poor design flaws, I was starting to wonder if I should have not purchased this transceiver.

Here is a short list of some PROs and CONs

PROs
• The receiver hears quite well, very sensitive
• The receiver is right-on frequency and very stable
• All knobs and buttons function as labeled
• 12.6V DC, getting 25 watts RF output on 40 meters and 22 watts RF output on 20 meters.
• Running into open or high SWR antenna load, it folds back very nicely
• I tested two other ICOM hand-mics and they both work perfect with this transceiver
• The display is nice and bright, easy to read, even in sun light.

CONs
• The main VFO/Function knob is very fragile, need to treat it with soft easy fingers, afraid its will break off from the PCB.
• The radio cabinet runs hot after about 20+ minutes of operation. Much hotter then I would have expected.
• AF audio out the speaker is a bit raspy or muffled. Not bad, just not 100% clean. Same with external speaker.
• The S-meter is very scotch. It works, however even on strong signals with the pre-amp on, the S meter never gets above S8
• The DC power plug is very cheap, the two pins become spread apart after inserting the connector multiple times, need to continue tightening the pins.

Conclusion after three days of playing with the transceiver, for the $$$ I paid for it, I am happy I purchased it. My only concern now is durability. I will keep my fingers cross the transceiver will last for a few years.

73s, Thomas, NE7X....

KC3VO Rating: 3/5 Apr 3, 2016 02:13 Send this review to a friend
3 out of 5, needs improving!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
M "X108G outdoor version" was delivered in late 2015 direct from China, shipping was quick, unit arrived in good shape, but tuning knob was loose, I remedied that by simply retightening the setscrew. Operation revealed good ability to make contacts on SSB and CW, but receiving AM is a problem, since the frequency DISPLAYED is NOT the point where the radio actually centers its AM reception! It does appear to TRANSMIT AM as displayed, so you wind up un-intentionally operating SPLIT FREQUENCY if AM is attempted, with as much as a 4.5 KHZ offset error, that CHANGES as you switch FILTER bandwidth! While attempting to resolve this error, I inadvertently dropped the radio, and shorted out the top circuit board, so it now awaits receipt of a SCHEMATIC, so I can properly troubleshoot and service it.-Overall, it "Has great potential" but is "Not ready for big time" just yet! NOTE:I also have a YAESU FT-817, and had NO problem obtaining a SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM for it, or obtaining repair/replacement PARTS and service information, things that practically ALL manufacturers of good HAM equipment readily provide!

WY7D Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great, Fun HF transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here is a really fun HF Transceiver!!!, March 26, 2016
By W. Davidson

This review is for the: X108G Outdoor covering 0.5MHz to 30 MHz
I am really impressed with this HF transceiver. I ordered it on Thursday the 18th of February 2016 from Amazon.com for $430 with free shipping. I was told that it would take until the 15 to the 31st of March to reach me. I was able to track the package and according to the tracking, it came from Shanghai, China to Tennessee in 40 minutes!? I really doubt that but, bottom line, it came to me within three business days. It reached me by the 22 of February, the next Monday.

I couldn't get the unit to transmit well at first. People said there was a lot of noise, like power supply noise or something. I was about to send it back. When I contacted the company, they said to wrap a magnetic tape around the power cable. That made me think of ferrite beads. I had some small beads and put one on each wire of the power cable. That fixed the problem. I later ordered a bigger, clip-on bead that covers the whole double wire and I put it up by the connector where it goes in the radio. No more problem.

This radio has a very cool, though small screen. It has a lot of great information including a non-labeled SWR meter, the local time, an S meter, power output, power input in volts, and more. By pushing in the knob, different menu options are presented which are manipulated with the four function buttons.

The microphone is amazing. It has a lot of function buttons. It is patterned after or is very similar to the Icom 7000 microphone.

The power is adjustable from1 to 20 watts. I have learned that by changing a transmitted signal from 100 to 25 watts changes the signal to the receiving station down one S unit. So with the twenty watts I am down just over one S unit from a rig putting out 100 watts. I have had a lot of QSOs to verify this. Several times I have gotten reports of 10 over nine.

I had a particularly interesting series of contacts one late afternoon on 40 meters. I was calling CQ with my Xiegu and heard a weak station in Central Florida. We had a good QSO and when we were finished, I heard a station calling me from Tennessee. That was a very good QSO also. Then I heard a station calling me from New Mexico, another great QSO. After that one, a station called me from Colorado Springs in Colorado. which was also a good QSO. Wow! I was impressed. I had four contacts that progressed across the country east, to west, starting in Florida.

I have also had a lot of contacts on other bands. The radio does all HF ham bands. My contacts have been both SSB and CW contacts. The rig presents three modes: AM, SSB and CW. I really like the .5 filter for CW.

On my local 80 meter net I get a lot of positive comments about the rig where I usually get reports of 10 over 9.
In summary, I really do like this rig. I highly recommend the radio for the price, That is, the $430 with free shipping price I paid at Amazon.com. Unfortunately, it is listed as not available there at this time. That happened before and later it became available again for a short time.
Warren
WY7D

ON6ZK Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice little toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my X108 G for about a month now.
I run it at 10 watts SSB and 5 watts CW.
Made great QRP contacts with it on 20/17/15 meters but I have to admitt that I run a 4 element monoband on each band.
Every stations heard I could work. It has a great quite receiver . The only minor thing is the microphone. It is very large compared with the size of the radio. Realy one of the largest handmikes I ever had.

Great holiday radio , low weight , small and with little power supply or small batterypack and a wire antenna it is the ideal holiday station to take along.