Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version Help

Reviews Summary for Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version
Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $599.00
Description: 9 Band HF Transceiver 20 watts
More info: http://www.cqxiegu.com

You can write your own review of the Xiegu X108G Outdoor Version.

WY7D Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2016 10:29 Send this review to a friend
Great, Fun HF transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Here is a really fun HF Transceiver!!!, March 26, 2016
By W. Davidson

This review is for the: X108G Outdoor covering 0.5MHz to 30 MHz
I am really impressed with this HF transceiver. I ordered it on Thursday the 18th of February 2016 from Amazon.com for $430 with free shipping. I was told that it would take until the 15 to the 31st of March to reach me. I was able to track the package and according to the tracking, it came from Shanghai, China to Tennessee in 40 minutes!? I really doubt that but, bottom line, it came to me within three business days. It reached me by the 22 of February, the next Monday.

I couldn't get the unit to transmit well at first. People said there was a lot of noise, like power supply noise or something. I was about to send it back. When I contacted the company, they said to wrap a magnetic tape around the power cable. That made me think of ferrite beads. I had some small beads and put one on each wire of the power cable. That fixed the problem. I later ordered a bigger, clip-on bead that covers the whole double wire and I put it up by the connector where it goes in the radio. No more problem.

This radio has a very cool, though small screen. It has a lot of great information including a non-labeled SWR meter, the local time, an S meter, power output, power input in volts, and more. By pushing in the knob, different menu options are presented which are manipulated with the four function buttons.

The microphone is amazing. It has a lot of function buttons. It is patterned after or is very similar to the Icom 7000 microphone.

The power is adjustable from1 to 20 watts. I have learned that by changing a transmitted signal from 100 to 25 watts changes the signal to the receiving station down one S unit. So with the twenty watts I am down just over one S unit from a rig putting out 100 watts. I have had a lot of QSOs to verify this. Several times I have gotten reports of 10 over nine.

I had a particularly interesting series of contacts one late afternoon on 40 meters. I was calling CQ with my Xiegu and heard a weak station in Central Florida. We had a good QSO and when we were finished, I heard a station calling me from Tennessee. That was a very good QSO also. Then I heard a station calling me from New Mexico, another great QSO. After that one, a station called me from Colorado Springs in Colorado. which was also a good QSO. Wow! I was impressed. I had four contacts that progressed across the country east, to west, starting in Florida.

I have also had a lot of contacts on other bands. The radio does all HF ham bands. My contacts have been both SSB and CW contacts. The rig presents three modes: AM, SSB and CW. I really like the .5 filter for CW.

On my local 80 meter net I get a lot of positive comments about the rig where I usually get reports of 10 over 9.
In summary, I really do like this rig. I highly recommend the radio for the price, That is, the $430 with free shipping price I paid at Amazon.com. Unfortunately, it is listed as not available there at this time. That happened before and later it became available again for a short time.
Warren
WY7D

ON6ZK Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Nice little toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my X108 G for about a month now.
I run it at 10 watts SSB and 5 watts CW.
Made great QRP contacts with it on 20/17/15 meters but I have to admitt that I run a 4 element monoband on each band.
Every stations heard I could work. It has a great quite receiver . The only minor thing is the microphone. It is very large compared with the size of the radio. Realy one of the largest handmikes I ever had.

Great holiday radio , low weight , small and with little power supply or small batterypack and a wire antenna it is the ideal holiday station to take along.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2015 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Update on squelch issue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got meanwhile the information, that the squelch issue is addressed with the latest (2015 November version) software (mine has the October release), which makes this rig even better.
At the same time, other minor niggles have been addressed, see Yahoo forum for further information.
Maybe and hopefully a next software release will add even more functions and the 5 kHz AM offset will be solved.
All that said, this rig is in itself a great addition to any amateur radio station for its high fun factor, so I personally highly recommend it.

G3UXB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2015 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Quite a brilliant radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have 2 of these radios, I bought one and had to send it back to Xiegu because the USB connector became disconnected from the motherboard, so I bought another it had the same problem. The radio itself is quite amazing on receive it is absolutely excellent very quiet sensitive receive and a full 20 watts on transmit I only run mine at 15 watts you can dial up any power output you want. It did have a lot of niggling problems but Xiegu is fully committed to this radio and the latest firmware fix fixes all the problems I have annotated and sent to Xiegu, they have now fixed the USB problem mine are firm and strong I have plugged them in quite a few times now just to check. Apart from giving it a 5 for the radio it deserves a 10 for Xiegu's customer loyalty, Stephen is just the best not what you expect from a radio from China but I guess we should now, check this radio out if it fits your bill you will not be disappointed

KH6VP Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2015 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice, feature rich transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to use it around the island when we are hiking. The things I like about it are:
- Full HF coverage;
- 20watts+ output
- Memories, USB/LSB support
- Complete computer support through a USB port (no serial interface needed - it includes a serial converter)
- Color screen
- low power receive
I also bought two 14.8V LiPO batteries @5A, which enables me to use this radio for hours. It uses around 3A for transmit (@15V, output is 27Watts). I charge both batteries and always have a backup.
- The batteries were made for radio control airplanes and I built a Deans to Anderson connector (batteries come with a Deans connector).
Quality of audio is very good (earphone helps of course).
I used it at the beach on the east side of Kauai with a dipole and it works great.
I wish it had a tuner, but then it would probably be too big and more expensive. I used an outboard tuner with a 14' MFJ collapsible vertical, on a tool mount [3/8-24 mount welded on plumbing locking pliers] and radials, some of which were placed in sea water.

VE3FAL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2015 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having owned the X1M and both versions 1 and 2 of this radio I have to say Xiegu has come a long way to almost having this radio where it needs to be.
There are a few issues that are being addressed via firmware upgrades but this radio works as it should for a minimalists bells and whistles free radio.
Power from .5-20 watts and covers all the ham bands in AM,LSB/USB and CW.
The iambic keyers issue has been addressed and that works well.

The other reviews can be seen from this link, as well as videos of teh radio in operation.