Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | E.F. Johnson Speed-X Key Help

Reviews Summary for E.F. Johnson Speed-X Key
E.F. Johnson Speed-X Key Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $3.50
Description: Straight key with black-crackle base, without shorting lever.

You can write your own review of the E.F. Johnson Speed-X Key.

KE6K Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2013 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Really good key  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this key for 50 years and used (and misused) it off and on the entire time. Wears like iron and still sends smoothly. Wouldn't give it up.

WB2VUO Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2004 15:07 Send this review to a friend
WB2VUO - SKN Every Night!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Johnson Speed-X in 1968 from Stewart W Smith Electronics in Syracuse, NY, the local Johnson dealer. I have no clue as to what it cost, but the same key is on its third base now and is a central fixture in the shack, and gets used regularly to this day.

It went to Diego Garcia with me in 1974 (WB2VUO/VQ9) and has travelled with the rig wherever I have operated from.

I can't think of a better deal or a better key to work with.

Keith, WB2VUO
QRP from the Depths of the Great Bergen Swamp
RM-20 and a TS-520 cranked down to Idle.

W3DCG Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2003 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly okay.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I thought it was a "3" but after getting a thing called a "J-47" from eBay, the "47" base is made of some kind of plastic. It does not keep it's settings. So the Speed X jumped up a skosh or two past a 4.

I'd rate the Speed X at 35.00 and under including shipping between 4-5 depending on the day and my mood.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the 5 rated keys cost more than I care to spend, and do not appear on the used market!

VE7BGP Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2002 01:31 Send this review to a friend
A Classic so Smooth  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend of mine had to move and brought over a box of goodies to our activity meeting. I picked out a couple of old looking hand keys. I thought I grabbed a J-38 but when I looked at it closer I scored a Speed X it looks like a E.F. Johnson version. I cleaned it up and lightly oiled the trunnion bearings. I have been pounding brass for all 32 years I have been a ham. I have never found a hand key that is honestly nicer to use it is so smooth and definately has a quality feel to it. This treasure I am keeping and will enjoy pounding some rag chews on. I am looking forward to SKN this year to give my old classic a workout. This one looks old but is like driving a nice old classic Packard or other great old car.
73 Gerry

AA1UY Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2000 15:37 Send this review to a friend
FB keys and still available !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These same Speed-X keys dating back to the 1930s are still manufactured today by Wm M. Nye Company Inc. (Nye Viking). They cost a little more than $3.50 nowadays, but are still a fantastic bargain at around $35. A classic piece of Ham Radio History and a real quality working man's key.

K9PL Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2000 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Legendary Basic Straight Key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple design, quality materials and fabrication -- works like a charm! This key holds its settings and helps you send CW smooth as glass. Hard to improve on a classic

This key was purchased nearly 40 years ago at Allied Radio. I bought it as a practice key before I knew once Morse character; now in daily use as my main key on all HF bands.