Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | LNR Precision LD-5 Help

Reviews Summary for LNR Precision LD-5
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $575.
Description: 5 Band QRP SDR. All modes except AM and FM.
More info: http://www.lnrprecision.com

You can write your own review of the LNR Precision LD-5.

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2016 10:04 Send this review to a friend
A satisfying little rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In September 2015 I replaced my Elecraft KX3 with the LD-5. In my opinion, based on my experiences, LNR Precision is heading toward the same goal that Elecraft has already achieved -- the goal of producing and supporting quality equipment with class and style.

Now don't get me wrong - the little KX3 is still the ultimate QRP transceiver filled with some especially useful technology such as the dual watch function, automatic zero beat, and so forth. With its built in ATU and onboard batteries, the KX3 does it all.

But I was looking for something a bit different - I wanted quality but I didn't really need or want everything done for me. Thus, I was attracted to the LD-5. Purchasing it was just the right medicine I needed to reignite my interest in QRP operations.

I was immediately attracted to the blue screen and its ability to display well in strong light. The size of the LD-5 and its light weight also got my attention. While the KX3 has internal ATU and batteries this adds weight; the LD-5 requires outboard batteries and an external tuner. The majority of my operating is done from home where I have an SGC coupler and a power supply, so I was not put off by this.

While I cannot "prove" it, my experience suggests that the LD-5's receiver is quieter and mroe sensitive than the KX3. This is great for me because as a QRP CW operator with an attic antenna, people tend to hear me better than I can hear them. This sort of "evens the playing field" for me.

I also like the way LNR chose to put the most used functions on multifunction keys vs. having to access the menu for everything. This is a very ergonomic approach the adds to my operating pleasure. When I find that I must go into the menu, it's a very convenient approach that doesn't bury me in complexity.

Filtering is swell! I can make the QRM go away like magic and the STEP key is a most useful approach to rapidly change the tuning rate. I only operate CW so I cannot comment at all on the SSB aspects and my microphone is still in its original box.

Overall, I really like my LD-5. It's gets along well with my 56' doublet via the feed point autocoupler and its relative simplicity of operation is a refreshing change for me.

K2DLJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 12, 2015 13:44 Send this review to a friend
A work in Progress  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am surprised this is the first review of this product. I have used it on SSB and digital modes for 1 week. It gets fine reports, works well with some quirks:
1) There is no antivox. The transmitter trips on occasionally.
2) Why not use PTT? Yes, if using a microphone. If using any other mode, VOX must be used at present.
3) This is because the CAT port is non-functional. I am waiting to hear how to use the CAT port. The ARRL review led me to believe they had used it to update firmware, but they had not. I believe their unit was swapped out at the Dayton Hamfest; I have no proof. The unit I have is the ARRL review unit won at their annual auction. (No serial number is evident)

I am an experienced SDR user, currently an Anan 100D is my base rig.

Stay tuned - I hope these anomalies will be fixed quickly. I want to keep the rig!