Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-250 Dummy Loads Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-250 Dummy Loads
MFJ-250   Dummy Loads Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: The MFJ-250 Versaload proides a versatile method of loading a RF transmitter

You can write your own review of the MFJ-250 Dummy Loads.

W7KKK Rating: 2/5 Feb 10, 2005 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Come On MFJ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a number of items manufactured by MFJ and had pretty good luck so far. However, I ordered an MFJ 250 Dummy load to replace one that I had been using in my shack that belongs to a friend.

The item came double boxed and the outer carton was in perfect condition when it arrived. I found the same of the inner MFJ box which was packed nicely by AES in Las Vegas.

When I opened the MFJ box I found that the paint can itself was dented in 3 places very badly. I had to do body work on the can before I could fill it with transformer oil. This was due to poor packing of the item by MFJ. The outer box had seen no stress. Add to this that the can is about the thinnest paint can I have ever seen and you have dents.

I saw immediately that one of the four screws was missing that hold the coax connector and load. I found the screw and washer in the MFJ box and the star washer/nut combination floating in the bottom of the can. I put it back on and checked the hardware. It was all lose including the 3 others on the coax connector and load resistor itself had to insecure fasters that hold it. None of the hardware was tight.

I have heard stories of MFJ quality control, and I have never had a problem until now. I am sure glad it was with a dummy load rather than an amplifier. Let us hope that the person that put this simple device together is not allowed near the amplifiers assembly area.

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2004 14:56 Send this review to a friend
It does what it's supposed to.  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very good dummy load. Mine has always sat there [out of sight] and did nothing, as well as it can be done. I have ran 2200W into it without a problem.

KE6KQV Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2004 02:42 Send this review to a friend
This is the one to buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent dummy load. I have read many complaints from people who buy the air cooled units only to have the load get hot. Take a look at the power disappation chart from MFJ and you will quickly see that this is an excellent product. I filled mine with mineral oil so I could empty it with out the trouble of disposing of transmission oil.

KC2HZW Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2003 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Reliable Unit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I purchased this unit the first thing I did was pull out my VOM and measure the resistance. At 47 Ohms it was in tolerance so I filled it per instructions and hooked it up to my amp. Tune up is a snap and it barely gets warm. Once in a while I have to wipe the top of the can around the vent, otherwise it is a zero maintenance accessory. Dummy loads are so cheap I wish everyone would use them, I really hate listening to people tuning up on the bands. Better yet, write down your plate and load settings for each band and you will rarely need this item. MFJ got this one right.

KC6VCH Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2003 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: more than 12 months
We don"t a whole lot about dummy loads.
the power rating is better than specified.
I recommend this one !

N6VUJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2003 21:15 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works like a charm.

I filled it to about 3/4 of a pint shy of a gallon to allow room for expansion.

Then placed it in a bucket with a lid just in case it ever leaks.

I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the lid for the coax to pass through.

KQ4JF Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2002 17:48 Send this review to a friend
I would give a 5 but!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a good idea to check the 50 ohm resistor with an ohm meter just to be sure before buying a dummy load as it will not give you the correct wattage reading.I was checking the wattage output of my SB 200 after purchasing new tubes and it was off. I called a friend of mine and he suggested checking the dummy load. I checked and found my resistor reading about 75 ohms. Emailed MFJ and they promptly sent me a 50 ohm resistor to replace it with. So that was great. So far it works great!