Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Ni4L ZS6BKW/G5RV Optimized Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Ni4L ZS6BKW/G5RV Optimized Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna
Ni4L ZS6BKW/G5RV Optimized Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $112.00
Description: The ZS6BKW/G5RV is capable of operating on 10, 12, 17, 20 & 40m bands generally without a tuner, with SWR readings usually 1.5:1 or less. Using a tuner 6, 15, 30 & 80m bands with much higher efficiency then the original G5RV.
More info: http://www.ni4l.com

You can write your own review of the Ni4L ZS6BKW/G5RV Optimized Multi Band HF Dipole Antenna.

K7IN Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2015 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Best multi-band I have used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been using another G5RV type multi-band dipole for about 4 years when it developed an 'open' somewhere that I could not find. So, I decided to buy another antenna. I had read about Chris Fox's antennas and liked the fact that the window line was #16 stranded conductor rather than solid. It also used a very strong termination at the top that can withstand weather quite well.

I have only had this antenna in the air for about 10 days and used it this past weekend on all the bands it covers. I use a LDG AT-100Pro auto tuner with an IC-7200 transceiver and was very pleased with it's performance. I was able to achieve a 1.1:1 SWR across all the bands except the very ends of 80/75m and 10m. It tuned the full bandwidth on 40, 30, 20, 17, 15 and 12m with no problem and only a slight reduction in output near above 29.1MHz.

My installation is not "ideal" by any means. The apex is only 28' and the ends of each leg are at 20'. I also doesn't run in a straight line but, looking down on it, the angle is about 120 degrees. The window line makes a gentle loop across an open space and then is suspended about 16" below my eaves and about 16" away from the side of the house. The 70-ft of coax runs under the eaves, around the back of the house and returns to the window where it enters my ham shack.

Since this was the CQ-WW CW contest, there were precious few places to have a casual QSO but, once the contest ended, I worked all but one station that I heard with good signal reports. I operate mostly CW but, was able to check in to a regional SSB net and received strong signal reports that were much better than my previous antenna.

In conclusion, I believe this is one of the best designs for a multi-band wire antenna available today. It make a great portable antenna and since it uses "flexweave" cable, it can be easily coiled up for storage and quickly deployed without kinking or tangling. The stranded conductor window line is very forgiving in the wind and I am sure it will tolerate a lot of movement before it ever fatigues.

I recommend this Ni4L antenna to anyone with limited space especially or for your next field day outing or your "go-kit" for emergency work. I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have. 73, Paul Cavnar, K7IN