Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Baofeng (Btech UV-5001 dual band mobile Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng (Btech UV-5001 dual band mobile
Baofeng (Btech UV-5001 dual band mobile Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $149,89
Description: BTECH UV-5001 Dual Band (VHF/UHF) Analog MOBILE Two-Way Radio
More info: http://https://baofengtech.com/uv-5001

You can write your own review of the Baofeng (Btech UV-5001 dual band mobile.

KG7YSE Rating: 0/5 Mar 18, 2017 15:40 Send this review to a friend
OK for a little while   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
These should be marketed as a receiver with a microphone NOT as a transceiver. I got my first UV5001 in Jan of 2016, had an internal flaw in the receive side while moving (very inconvenient for a mobile) it stopped transmitting after 4 months.
Got my second warranty replacement, that one would not even power up out of the box, to top it off some other HAM's callsign sticker was still on the top of the radio so that tells me BTECH doesn't even look at them closely or may have sent a defective one back.The THIRD warranty replacement unit worked for 4 months and won't transmit again. BTECH always blames high SWR as the reason even though I've checked SWR on all three radios and was low in VHF and UHF. I see Amazon does not list these anymore, high return rate perhaps? I tossed the third one in the trash. Warranty is out now. I know it's cheap but also VERY poor quality control. I have a Luiton 925 that is cheap AND still working great after 3 years.

NO7Y Rating: 3/5 Oct 7, 2016 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Warrantied twice hope third radio is the charm  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the radio as a Christmas present to myself. About 6 months later, said radio stopped transmitting. B-tech warranty replaced radio. Replacement radio lasted about a month. Same problem, no transmit. During that month the fan noise in the replacement radio just about drove me nutzoid.

I am now on the replacement to the replacement. Just started using it today. So far happier. The fan is noticeably, but not drive you nutzoid.

The second replacement after discussions with B-tech support they provided shipping costs both ways.

I am really, really hoping third time is the charm.

(PS It is not my SWR's or such that did the two radios in. I have two separate meters both showing good 1.3 or lower swr's on the frequencies I use. I also use a old Alinco with same antenna no problems as well as a commercial Kenwood).

N9ZI Rating: 3/5 Sep 21, 2016 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Audio Not Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi really wanted to like this radio, was told by Btech the 3rd generation radios had taken care of the audio issues, not so, received audio & transmitted audio both were high pitched and not nearly as good as the Japanese radios.
Sent mine back & purchased an Icom, which sounds great. I do have two Baofeng HT radios & both sound good, go figure.

NO7Y Rating: 0/5 Aug 2, 2016 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Radio final died last night  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a follow up to my previous review. Radio will not transmit at this point. Took it apart and noticed very poor soldering job throughout the radio; some pads are not even tinned, let alone making good contact. My opinion at this time is to stay far away from this manufacture.

NO7Y Rating: 4/5 Dec 26, 2015 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Good price, OK radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Santa delivered me a new UV-5001. First impressions, audio incoming is good. The volume can be cranked up to hurt my ear levels (this is a good thing :) or adjusted to perfect. Sound quality is better than I expected on incoming.

Outgoing report, I am said to sound some what "nasally". To be fair I have a rather low voice, so. Tried with a Kenwood mic from another radio, audio was more normal.

I love the color changing screen. It is very informative at a glance.

Programming software is a little on the old school side. Seemed almost windows 95 style when installed. That being said, it does it's job. The cable is a simple ttl to regular 3 prong headphone style. Very easy to home brew.

Only tricky part to manually programming, is using the A/b function programming the rec freq and transmit individually, and not using offset. Not a major difficulty. Would be nice however if it did it automatically, like other radios.

Manual was easy to read. Useful in figuring out programming for the first time.

My shack is at 50 or so degrees f. So case seems to stay cold even with transmitting. Will know more once the weather heats up.

I ordered from https://baofengtech.com/ , radio was shipped in a timely manor and packaged in such a way to ensure safe arrival.

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2015 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Just got this UV5001 as a gift! So far, WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My rating is for PERFORMANCE , If you have to program the radio without the Programming Software, Its not going to exactly make you a happy camper! But that is the big negative ,If you can call it that for a radio that is doing everything I would expect from a 300 dollar rig!
Published power is 50 on 2m and 45 on 440. I measured 56 on 2 at 146.520. and the local club repeater at 443.000 was 48. There is a yellow tag warning you to be careful of the heat sinks getting hot- mine have gotten warm, But nothing like my IC-2100 would! I love the triple color display- it can change colors ! it's a lavender purple color while on standby, darker blue on receive and red/orange when you transmit! these can be swapped or not used. There is a loud alert alarm you can assign to channels so if an important call is received, you're out fishing near by, YOU'LL HEAR IT! And the usual offerings you would expect from higher priced equipment, even includes a VERY capable FM broadcast receiver, with 2 watts of audio, it sounded very nice! Dual watch, plus you can have one VFO in Alpha,the other frequency display and using the RX Sync, the VFO will display the Name AND frequency together if you like. i commute 52 miles one way to my Job- the UV-5001 IS the only mobile I have used to date that was able to hold the repeater with little issue. It was able to punch out to the repeater where my other mobiles,Radio Shack HTX 242, my Kenwood 271 and IC 2100 hit the famous "Black Hole of RF" on highway 201 in Rio, GA. the signal got "scratchy" as the guys would say, But the other were swallowed up by then! The receiver is very good, I can hear the local Police Dispatch 50 miles away with little static or loss of signal. Scanning is easy- there is a button on the brightly back-lit Mic keypad...Just hit it! no function button or hold til it beeps...The Scan moves along reasonably well, and can be set to resume after the transmission, Timed Pause or stop. the DTMF paging is compatible with most other HT's and mobiles plus, a few neat features if you happen to have the need to get one for the house, one for the car perhaps,Or if your friend has the same radio or the 2501, the 5001 little brother. The only other negative, is the fact that you have to select either high or low power in memory. There is no button or means I have found as yet to toggle between the high and low power, unless you program the same frequency twice- one on high, One on low. It may be available, But I have yet to figure it out!
A refreshing discovery, the instruction manual was not like some of the H.T. manuals that were spoke of when Baofeng, Wouxun and other Chinese H.T's came out. Some which were just comical to read.
here is what the Company posts
Features:

25KHz/12.5KHz Switchable (Wide/Narrow Band)
FM Radio (65.0MHz-108.0MHz)
Large Tri-color LCD Display (3 Selectable Colors)
High /Low RF Power Switchable
PC programmable
Transmitter time-out timer(TOT)
Busy channel lock-out(BCLO)
Remote Stun/Kill***

***(In case you don't know- it's not something for your mother in law or bratty kid in the car, If the rig is stolen, and it is still on- you can disable the radio with a code.)

According to the Website the Specs are:
UV-5001 MOBILE SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency range:
[TX] 136 - 174MHz, 400 - 520MHz
[RX] 136 - 174MHz, 400 - 520MHz, 68-108MHz (FM Broadcast)
Channel Capacity:
200 Channels
Channel Spacing
25KHz (wide band)12.5KHz (narrow band)
Sensitivity
≤0.25μV (wide band) ≤0.35μV (narrow band)
Operation Voltage
Output power:
50W / 10W
Audio Power Output
1000mW/10%

So- If you need a good, solid rig in the car, boat, RV or Base- Suggested price, 149.98 is a DARN GOOD PRICE for a 50 watt dual bander that works like this one does.