Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sennheizer HD-518 Help

Reviews Summary for Sennheizer HD-518
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $$79.00
Description: over the ear headphones

You can write your own review of the Sennheizer HD-518.

K4MZR Rating: 3/5 Dec 19, 2015 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Mixed Bag  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 518s out of curiosity since they regularly make a showing in "best headphones under $100" lists. Before giving my impressions let me acknowledge that headphone preferences are very personal; your milage may vary.

The 518s were A/B tested against a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones. What becomes immediately apparent is that the 518s are very biased toward the midrange. This works well with contemporary music but often show poorly with classical pieces since the highs are attenuated. This tendancy is striking compared to the Sony's flat response. For radio communications use this mid-range bias often makes weak signals harder to hear (at least for me).

Two other negatives are immediately obvious: if you require a 3/8" plug the 518's 1/4 to 3/8 adapter is ridiculously long, especially when compared to the Sony's svelt screw-on version. Second, the 518s come with an absurdly long cord.

Overall, I much prefer the MDR-V6 for ham radio and general music listening although the 518s may br fine for some genres they're out of place in a ham shack.

KI0Z Rating: 0/5 Dec 6, 2015 09:20 Send this review to a friend
all Bass  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the ear headphones . with a lot of "5"s for rating but the worst headphones I have ever listened to . I sent them back as this Brand most times is very good. But for my money the Gradolabs SR-60 and up are tops for what I do on ham radio. Even revoicing the Gradolabs are tops. GL