Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Midland 21-404C communications external speakers Help

Reviews Summary for Midland 21-404C communications external speakers
Midland 21-404C communications external speakers Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$18
Description: This rugged heavy magnet external speaker has outlasted the roughest customers. We haven't seen a failed Midland external speaker in the entire 19 years we have sold them.

Four (4) inch

6 Watts Power

8 ohm impedance

Noise-Canceling switch

10 ft. cord with 3.5mm (1/8") plug

Mounting hardware is included.
More info: http://https://midlandusa.com/product/21-404c/

You can write your own review of the Midland 21-404C communications external speakers.

KD4ONT Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2015 00:43 Send this review to a friend
Don't look elsewhere just because this is a cb external speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this speaker on many ham rigs. It is a very rugged speaker for mobile use. It is not amplified but it works great for communications purposes!

The description of this product mentions how long someone has sold them. This was copy paste from a local seller. He is a licensed extra, and has decades of experience in this field and military training in communications. I trust his recommendations. If this review gets denied because this hardware is common in the 11m world, then shame on them! This product works great and loud in the mobile. I've used it on 2m, 220, and 440 mobiles and it worked flawlessly. Granted it is not amplified, and I have to run the volume between 1 and 2 o'clock on the rig to get nice and loud audio to overcome noise while driving. Still, it hasn't shown signs of blowing the voice coil. I have a newer, non box type rat shack amplified speaker that is showing signs it might be blown. I blame loud whistles from the scanning of 40m in the am shortwave section in ssb to maybe killing the speaker.

I'm either going to buy another midland or a bearcat amplified speaker for my new hf radio. I've heard the bearcat and it is more bassy than this speaker, so I'm guessing I won't like it as much in the car.

If you like high fidelity, then look elsewhere. If you prefer a speaker that works great in the vocal range, with punch to hear in the mobile, I'd highly suggest this one.

Just a disclaimer, I'm more for understanding voice in difficult conditions than hi fidelity audio.

When I was on a fidelity quest years ago, a ham asked me a question that always stuck with me. Do you want to sound pretty or do you want to be heard and understood during difficult conditions? I'd rather be heard during high static or pileups. That's just me. I'm a dx'er,
not a ragchewer.
The switch on it is just a passive high cut. Seemingly cutting noise while filtering the static. I typically leave the switch off and use the radio to dial in the sound I prefer.