Reviews Categories | Receive Pre-amps | Ameco PLF-2 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameco PLF-2
Ameco PLF-2 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1.8 to 54 MHz receive only transistorized preamp

You can write your own review of the Ameco PLF-2.

K8LBH Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2016 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Using on BC-348  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used preamp off eBay for about $27 plus shipping. I don't believe this product has been in production for a long time, contrary to the information above. I did find that all the switches and the antenna connectors needed to be cleaned with Deoxit, for the unit to properly operate.

It seems to work well, and I am happy with the purchase. I was using a home brew preamp I built using MMICs, but wanted something with a High Q tuned circuit in it. I am happy with the purchase. I do have some spare FETs if I need one, but the one installed is working fine.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2015 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Great for old Boatanchor receivers  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a bunch of different Ameco pre-amps. I enjoy collecting them. The PLF-2 uses a 40673 dual gate FET instead of the Nuvistors used in previous models.
If you see one for sale (especially with the "can't test" or "for parts" wording), be aware it has probably been transmitted into!
They are easy to repair. In addition, the "in-out" switch is probably going to be intermittent.
If you connect your antenna to your vintage receiver and you can "hear" your antenna, a preamp probably won't help. It will increase the noise along with the signals.
However, they really help on the higher frequencies (especially 6 Meters) where some of the old stuff is pretty deaf.

enjoy