Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WSJT-X Help

Reviews Summary for WSJT-X
WSJT-X Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: WSJT-X implements communication protocols or "modes"
called JT4, JT9, JT65, and WSPR, as well as one called
Echo for detecting and measuring your radio signals
reflected from the Moon. The JTxx modes were all designed
for making reliable, confirmed QSOs under extreme weak-
signal conditions. They use nearly identical message
structure and "source encoding," the efficient compression
of standard messages. JT65 was designed for EME
("moonbounce") on the VHF/UHF bands, and has also proved
very popular and effective for worldwide QRP communication
at HF. In contrast, JT9 is optimized for the LF, MF, and
HF bands. JT9 is about 2 dB more sensitive than JT65
while using less than 10% of the bandwidth. With either
JT9 or JT65, world-wide QSOs are possible with power
levels of a few watts and compromise antennas. JT4 is
particularly optimized for EME on the microwave bands from
2.3 to 24 GHz. Finally, as described more fully on its
own page, WSPR mode implements a protocol designed for
probing potential propagation paths with low-power
transmissions. WSPR has now been fully implemented within
WSJT-X, including automatic band-hopping, so all modes are
available in a single program.
More info: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

You can write your own review of the WSJT-X.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2017 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great program! Fun to use and allows some really nice contacts with only 5 watts while enduring terrible band conditions.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2017 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Perfect, and works with HRD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would had easily paid at least $ 50...or even $100...for the program

It is free, works seamlessly with HRD and it is easy to install, configure and operate...(I used with HRD), that made it incredibly easy...

How any Ham Operator can complain for something free, and uses cutting edge technology is beyond me...

I am more of a ragchewer, but when the band is dead, I use the FT8 mode(Or others like Olivia). Great program, and again, it is free, what more can these folks do?

K0IVK Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2017 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Big improvements in Ver 1.6  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using WSJT-X since Ver. 1.3. I especially like the Wide Graph. I was using ver. 1.5 until just recently, upgrading to try MSK144. I have noticed a BIG improvement in decoding of JT65 signals with v 1.6 During recent openings to Asia on 30M I was very surprised to have multiple decoded answers to my CQs. Often a stateside signal and an Asian station answering will both decode. Previously I would only receive 1 answer decoded, when multiple stations were visibly calling. I also have tried MSK144 on 6 meters and I'm impressed with the speed of that mode.
I was a CW only Op. until I discovered K1JTs modes in 2014 and now have more QSLs on EQsl for JT65 than I've received on CW since March of 1979.

WO2X Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2017 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Works seamlessly with the Flex 6700, JT Alert, and Log4OM.

Point of advice - Use JT Alert with WSJT-X. Adds more functionality and allows uploading to several popular logging programs.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2016 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using wsjt-x 1.6 with the
Sunsdr2 PRO, Flex6300 and Icom7300 and HRD for CAT control with no problems.
Great having WSPR included.
I mainly use JT9 which only requires 17Hz

W1FIT Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2016 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Great program (and free)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Only negative about this is that it's addictive.
I use it a lot for JT65 and more often JT9. The JT modes are becoming very popular and the JT65 segment often gets very congested.

I live in an HOA neighborhood that allows no antennas so my stealth "trellis" is the best I can do. JT makes the most of compromised antennas. I've had lots of DX contacts and when band conditions are bad, I still make some contacts.

Setup was very easy. I have an Icom 7200 that interfaces with Ham Radio Deluxe via USB. I then interfaced WSJT-X via HRD. While setting up HRD wasn't hard, setting up WSJT-X via HRD was a snap.

I'm surprised by the few negative comments here. I've experienced no software problems at all. While some may quibble about perceived "flaws", I say "Thanks Joe Taylor". And I like the price as well.

W6AAJ Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 20:29 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite Mode  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used WSJT-X for over three years and love it. So far I've made about 1200 qso's a year and have worked dx I find hard to believe (with low power and just a dipole). The add-on program JT-Alert is a "must have".

The absolute best part of this mode is that, even when the bands seem "closed", you can find someone to work.

Another benefit : it is my observation that a higher percentage of stations on JT65/JT9 are active on LOTW.

Yes, JT65 and JT9, at first, seem like "funky" modes that offer an experience much like a contest. Personally, I find it addictive. The first habit you have to shed is the need for Push to Talk. WSJT-X controls the flow of the transmissions based on time. One station transmits for about 48 seconds, there is a 12 second pause and the other station starts transmitting at the top of the next minute. You go back and forth a few times passing normal qso data then say 73. Simple

One mind blowing aspect of these modes that you will be working signals that are way(!) below the noise level. You will work many stations you can not hear or see on the waterfall. This is awesome.

A few recommendations 1) go to Utube and view a few of the vids on this topic. 2) If you are using a Signalink interface, checkout the mods documented on the internet. The simple one resistor "add" mod really had a positive effect for me --- highly recommended.

See you on the waterfall!

KM6JD Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Works great with my old HP laptop  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using WSJT-X for about 5 months now and have logged close to 1,000 JT65 and JT9 contacts. I run it with an old HP laptop (about 8 years old) and my Kenwood TS-590SG. It is seemingly flawless and decodes extremely well and fast.

However, I have noticed one particular bug that occurs when in the JT65 + JT9 mode. Sometimes, when in this dual mode, and operating JT65 with the TX Enabled button on, the decode button will turn it's normal light blue when decoding but then all of a sudden you get this "error in kv decoder...." message. What happens next is that the program automatically enters into JT9 mode. I have found a workaround when this happens. Just simply put it back into JT65 mode by left clicking the JT65/JT9 button and that seems to do the trick. Also, it is best not to have the TX Enabled button on during a decode. That seems to prevent this from happening. Otherwise it is a great piece of software.

DH2ID Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2016 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Great program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have over 7000 QSO's in JT modes in my log, a good third of them in JT9, so I really can't do without WSJT-X, which decodes the two modes side-by side.
I have tried out all the other JT programs, but WSJT-X wins all the time. I do my logging with JT-AlertX and HRDLog, which also works very well.
Setting up WSJT-X is quite easy, if you remember not to use the HRD rig control program, but MiniDeluxe, and then it works with the Flex Radios I own and my TS2000X.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running Joe's WSJT suite for years. When the WSJT-X came out it was quite an improvement on otherwise great software. I've installed this on my Mac, Windoze and Linux machines without difficulty. Running less than 5 watts, and usually something more like 2 W, I have managed WAC on a vertical. It's amazing how efficient a mediocre signal can be using this software. Recommended.