Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WSJT-X Help

Reviews Summary for WSJT-X
WSJT-X Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: WSJT-X implements communication protocols or "modes"
called JT4, JT9, JT65, and WSPR, as well as one called
Echo for detecting and measuring your radio signals
reflected from the Moon. The JTxx modes were all designed
for making reliable, confirmed QSOs under extreme weak-
signal conditions. They use nearly identical message
structure and "source encoding," the efficient compression
of standard messages. JT65 was designed for EME
("moonbounce") on the VHF/UHF bands, and has also proved
very popular and effective for worldwide QRP communication
at HF. In contrast, JT9 is optimized for the LF, MF, and
HF bands. JT9 is about 2 dB more sensitive than JT65
while using less than 10% of the bandwidth. With either
JT9 or JT65, world-wide QSOs are possible with power
levels of a few watts and compromise antennas. JT4 is
particularly optimized for EME on the microwave bands from
2.3 to 24 GHz. Finally, as described more fully on its
own page, WSPR mode implements a protocol designed for
probing potential propagation paths with low-power
transmissions. WSPR has now been fully implemented within
WSJT-X, including automatic band-hopping, so all modes are
available in a single program.
More info: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wsjtx.html

You can write your own review of the WSJT-X.

KM6JD Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Works great with my old HP laptop  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using WSJT-X for about 5 months now and have logged close to 1,000 JT65 and JT9 contacts. I run it with an old HP laptop (about 8 years old) and my Kenwood TS-590SG. It is seemingly flawless and decodes extremely well and fast.

However, I have noticed one particular bug that occurs when in the JT65 + JT9 mode. Sometimes, when in this dual mode, and operating JT65 with the TX Enabled button on, the decode button will turn it's normal light blue when decoding but then all of a sudden you get this "error in kv decoder...." message. What happens next is that the program automatically enters into JT9 mode. I have found a workaround when this happens. Just simply put it back into JT65 mode by left clicking the JT65/JT9 button and that seems to do the trick. Also, it is best not to have the TX Enabled button on during a decode. That seems to prevent this from happening. Otherwise it is a great piece of software.

DH2ID Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2016 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Great program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have over 7000 QSO's in JT modes in my log, a good third of them in JT9, so I really can't do without WSJT-X, which decodes the two modes side-by side.
I have tried out all the other JT programs, but WSJT-X wins all the time. I do my logging with JT-AlertX and HRDLog, which also works very well.
Setting up WSJT-X is quite easy, if you remember not to use the HRD rig control program, but MiniDeluxe, and then it works with the Flex Radios I own and my TS2000X.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2016 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Great software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running Joe's WSJT suite for years. When the WSJT-X came out it was quite an improvement on otherwise great software. I've installed this on my Mac, Windoze and Linux machines without difficulty. Running less than 5 watts, and usually something more like 2 W, I have managed WAC on a vertical. It's amazing how efficient a mediocre signal can be using this software. Recommended.

KW4JA Rating: 0/5 Feb 5, 2016 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Unusable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update of my 2/5 review previously. Firstly the software still doesn't work in jt-65 mode without error messages regarding kv unable to decode. Since then I have been using the program in JT-9 mode but I realized I never work any dx which is pretty much impossible to do until I figured out why I couldn't. DX stations that were calling me weren't decoded because the audio level fed to WSJT-X isn't strong enough for the program to decode and no matter how high I adjusted the sound card audio it wouldn't increase the audio (brightness) on the screen. I have deemed the program virtually worthless for jt-65 and jt-9. With time I'll continue testing it on wspr-2.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Software  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't do many reviews. My first JT65 QSO was 3-9-2012. I have been using WSJT-X since just about the beginning. Joe would have a new updated version what seemed like every other day. WSJT-X took Joe a long time, with a lot of Hard work, to give us for FREE! This software is by far, in my opinion, the best us Hams will ever see in our lifetime. I'm sure there's a Yahoo reflector group for anybody that has a question. I don't know if there is or not, because I never ever had a question using WSJT-X. Read the Manual, I know, I hate reading manuals too!!

K5ACL Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Beginner to digital modes - this software helped me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I found this software to be one of the easiest to use, and a simple UI to boot. I use WSJT-X on both a Windows machine w/ Windows & and a Mac with the latest OS X as of today. I'm able to decode signals as deep as -28db so far using WSPR, and with JT65, QSO's are a snap.

Occasionally the software will hang, but I think that's due to the drivers with the radio and everything sharing resources on the pc, a simple restart normally does the trick, but I've had to do this rarely. I prefer WSJT-X over the regular WSPR program as well. The website has all kinds of useful information, and WSJT-X seems to be widely used - which in my book is good, because there's lots of support if you have a question!

KJ8U Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Best in class  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using WSJT-X for more than two years. Only issues I have encountered have been by fault of my own, not be the software. I have run it on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now Windows 10. Never encountered any of the issues that two previous users have been encountering. I run 2-10 watts into and end fed dipole without fail. It's a lightweight app that is simple to setup and use as compared to JT65-HF and HB9HQX's version, IMO.

WSPR mode works great, but I do use WSPR-X for long term propagation testing. I mainly use JT9 now, as it's "less crowded" at the moment :-) Using JT9, it decodes signals I do not see on the waterfall.

As of yesterday I completed the 1.70 dev version and get even more decodes in JT65 and JT9 than I have in the current prod version.

Joe and the other dev's are doing a wonderful job putting out a quality app, that I see can only get better with each release.

K2TL Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2016 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Perfect, stable, reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used WSJT-X on several different machines and operating systems..junk laptops and quad core PC's..it's all the same and all good. Works perfect on Windows 10 as well as 7. I also like that the latest version includes WSPR. Handy!

N6CEK Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2016 23:10 Send this review to a friend
Great program!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been using WSJT-X for over 6 months from my rather modest station. Max power has been 10 watts and have worked all 50 states and a number of DX stations with a simple dipole. No problem loading, upgrading or operating on my two Panasonic Toughbook laptops running Win 7 Pro. Seamless operation with WSJT-X Alert. Easy to learn and use. Note: I use an external clock synchronizing program "Dimension 4" (also Freeware) to insure that the PC clock is accurate.

AD0AR Rating: 1/5 Jan 27, 2016 22:20 Send this review to a friend
What happened?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the latest rev v1.6.0
When a piece of software makes random errors, especially during a QSO and makes me look like a tool on the air, it's coming off my computer!
Errors noticed: In the middle of an exchange with another operator on JT9 mode and I click the RRR button. It transmits a BLANK, the field that says what it is transmitting says nothing at all! Only way to get it to respond/change is to restart the program. Glad the two operators hung in there with me during the restart of the program.
Also I will be in the middle of an exchange and the program refuses to transmit. Software restart required.
Next- This latest version incorporates WSPR modes along with the JT9/JT65.
Error observed with WSPR-2 mode-
I set it up to transmit 25% of the time, verify TX operation and 20 minutes later it shut of the transmit ability by itself. I press the enable button again and two more TX cycles later it shuts itself off again!
I also noticed crazy waterfall operation too. I can dial in my settings and 5 minutes later the spectrum graph is off the chart!
Decodes have also been hit and miss too. Twice now I have been in a solitary QSO using JT9 and no decodes even with a s2 meter reading so weak signal fade was no issue here. I wonder now if they were stuck transmitting BLANK fields erratic ops that I observed on my PC.
Other than getting the bugs worked out of this new version it would be nice to add a logging system / eqsl sending option like what HB9HQX uses in his JT65 program or if HB9HQX would simply add the JT9 to his awesome version- now that would be simply baller!
Presently this program is screaming on my radio saying "Fix me! Fix me!" Homie don't play dat.
In God we trust, all others we monitor AD0AR