Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Cushcraft AP8A Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft AP8A
Cushcraft AP8A Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Multiband Trapped Vertical
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft AP8A.

KC7JNJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2012 09:11 Send this review to a friend
I love this antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna for many years as a portable antenna. I ground mount it with a radial kit I built. It is laid out to where it only takes a few mins to have it on the air. I have used it for field days and I have have mountain topped with it. I have used it all over. With it we have made 1000s of contacts all over the world. It has never failed me. I have owned it coming up on 20 years. And I would love to have another one.

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Jan 25, 2010 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna for a small yard  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a small yard and can not get the wire antenna I would like installed nor could it ever be high enough. After reading the late Jerry Sevick's work on the short vertical antenna I decided to look for a multiband vertical. AP8A when I found one at a price I wanted to pay.

Installation was a breeze and setting the sections to the resonant band was quite easy. I found 10 through 20 nearly flat across the band with all being 1.7:1 VSWR at the fringes and better (most 1:1.2 or 1:1) the nearer to my chosen center frequency. 40M gets at bit worse near the band ends, near 2.0:1, but it is not designed to be flat across 40. The 80M BW is rated at 100kHz, but I found it closer to 200 and easily matched with my FC-902 across the band (efficiency not calculated).

Antenna quality is no worse or no better than any other ham antenna I have seen or used. All are over priced poor quality from new compared to a commercial antenna and none have decent connectors like Ns to keep water out. Nor can the antenna connector be changed. I will give Cushcraft one good point above Hustler, no coax pigtail is needed or extra adapter purchase needed to connect the antenna to its transmission line.

Mine is installed at ground level with 4 ground rods connected to the base with 4, 1-inch copper straps and the whole works connected to 48 radials cut as long as I could fit in the yard installed on top of the grass which eventually covered them.

So far this antenna has surpassed my expectations of it with more contacts to Europe in less than a year than I made with my dipole in over 3 years.

I have not experienced problems with VSWR varying in winds or rain.

The antenna has held up fine in high winds and rain although like most of my antennae it will be removed if there is a hurricane headed my way. This antenna is simple to remove before the storm and reinstall after.

To sum it all up if you have a small area to install an antenna and you can put down some radials and find a good AP8A for a reasonable price this may be teh antenna for you. IF it weren't for the quality of ham antennas it's probably get a 5.

Things to look for in buying a used antenna such as this one is the quality of the heat shrink seal over the trap coils, the integrity of the plastic caps on the tuning capacitors, any evidence the previous owner had the trap(s) apart or tried re-adjusting them. Any deterioration of the heat shrink, caps or evidence of adjusting are good reasons not to get any used trap vertical.

K5MO Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2008 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Typical performance for vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had mine in the woods here in NC for 7 yrs with no problems. It was unguyed and I had no mechanical issues. Performance was on a par with most reduced height verticals, but I worked a fair amount of DX with it. I DID have a lot of radials...probably in the 60-80 count range. Like ANY vertical, the quality of the performance depends on the radial plane you present.

As far as bandwidth goes, again, it's no better or worse than say, a 14AVQ or any other smallish vertical. It was fascinating to watch the 2:1 bandwidth shrink as I added radials. For short verticals, increased bandwidth means lowered Q, which means loss. If the bandwidth is narrow , it's (in THIS situation) likely a GOOD thing, and means your antenna and ground system is working as well as can be.

I ran upwards of 700 watts PEP from time to time, with no ill effect. I did NOT try and run this level of power with the antenna off resonance (as in through a tuner) and never experienced a breakdown. Never had a water or moisture problem either .

I like my 4 element yagi better, but for someone with limited space, and only an afternoon to devote to installation, this is a good value... 8 bands on one coax.

KA3TKZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna in use for over 10 years, with and without radials. The antenna is mounted on pvc pipe 10 feet off the ground with no radials. I have destroyed pileups on the first call many times. The antenna holds up to 1500 watts with NO, NO problems! I have no complaints with this vertical.

K7UNZ Rating: 2/5 Oct 6, 2005 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Not the best in the West  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I too found the only redeeming quality to this antenna was it's feedpoint base section. After several months of poor to fair operation, I returned to Butternut. However, the AP-8 lower section remains, as it was a perfect fit for the Butternut HF-9V, and eliminated the one weakness I always disliked about the Butternuts. So, I now have a Butternut that has a coax fitting at the feed point instead of the stock screws/coil arrangement.

Works fine, and this arrangement has been perking along for a bit over 10 years. Best of both worlds!

Had used several Cushcraft antennas prior to the AP-8, and still have their WARC bands only model in the garage. However, the AP-8 was such a downer, I went back to Butternut, and have been a happy fellah ever since.

Oh yeah, as already mentioned, it did make an excellent wind direction indicator when it was up!

Jim/k7unz

K2BK Rating: 0/5 Oct 6, 2005 05:46 Send this review to a friend
A low point in Cushcraft's efforts !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This replacement to the fine and robust AV3-4-5 series of verticals is a limp effort at best.

The trap parts are tiny, and the coils are covered in heat shrink wrap.
I smoked mine at 400 watts RTTY - replaced the damaged trap and the antenna broke in a mild wind storm.

I used the base section (same as the AV5 - VERY strong) to build a monoband vertical with parts left over from the damaged AP8A.

Paul - K2BK

OK1RR Rating: 1/5 Sep 8, 2004 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Flimsy  Time owned: more than 12 months
The traps are very flimsy. They stated out that AP8A is rated for 2 KW. HA HA HA! Burned out with 700 watts. Within years all traps fried out, both capacitors and inductors. Noted also narrow bandwidth. I would appreciate detailed trap description with L/C data for my own heavier design.

N3HSH Rating: 2/5 Jul 12, 2002 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Average Performer. Flimsy Construction. Narrow Bandwidth.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is flimsy and therefore must be guyed well to withstand any type of wind. One of the traps was out of resonance from the factory and I had to call tech support to resovle the problem (which they quickly did).

The usuable bandwidth is very narrow on all bands unless you use a tuner.

I replaced this antenna with a GAP Titan and find the GAP to perform much better and be better constructed with a much greater usuable bandwidth.

KF3CW Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2001 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with this vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my AP8A for over 3 years. It is chimney mounted about 18 feet above the ground. I have about 10 random length radials run thru my attic and 5 radials on the roof. I have had VERY GOOD results with the antenna. It does sway a lot in the wind and has taken on a bow due to prevailing winds but performance has not suffered. Because of my installation and perhaps not using the Cushcraft radial kit, my SWR's are greater than 1.5. However the antenna has worked great with my Ten Tec Omni 6+ and the LDG Autotuner as well as my Icom 746 with its built in autotuner. Have always gotton good signal reports and busted thru some hefty pileups.

WB7QXU Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2001 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Not the best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one of these antenna's It was ok, It did work well on 80m. On the other bands it was ok, But needed Radial to even hope to work. I put radials on all bands and the antenna was A good performer, but the construction was not the best. It was week, and flimsey. The fiberglass was not the best or the strongest. It sagged. I needed to use guy wires to keep it straight. It did seem to sway a lot in the wind, However it did stay up. Unless it is ground mounted with at least 2 radial per band it will not work. There are better antenna's out there for the money. Performance was exceptable, but the contruction could have been better. better performer than the R4, and R7000