Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BridgeCom BCH-220 Help

Reviews Summary for BridgeCom BCH-220
BridgeCom BCH-220 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $85.
Description: Handheld Transceiver for 1.25m 220 MHz
More info: http://www.bridgecomsystems.com/collections/handheld-radios/products/bch-220

You can write your own review of the BridgeCom BCH-220.

AA6CK Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2017 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good sensitivity and easy to program from the keypad. A great and affordable way to get on the 220 Mhz. band. I carry this HT with me all the time.

WB6TNB Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2017 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Nice small radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first BCH-220 had an LCD display problem but was quickly and cheerfully replaced. Overall I'm very pleased with it. The supplied antenna is well above average and the battery life is incredible. Unfortunately a second battery costs more than half the price of the radio.

N6DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2016 19:26 Send this review to a friend
A Dandy little 220 HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is a fine little single bander. It is easy to manually program, easily cracks repeaters 30+ miles distant and receives good audio reports. Just be sure to turn off the receive tone function (button 7). Mine was on and caused me some grief before I solved the problem. The manual is pretty well written too. See the Sept. 2016 QST for their review. After reading it I decided to buy one and am glad I did!

Tony, N6DXX

K6VE Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Power packed Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Worth every penny. It's easy to program, with or without the programming cable! More hams need to realize the value and advantages of our 220 MHz band over 2 meters and 70 cm. This radio is the perfect size, weight and power for any handheld. It's biggest advantage is that it's a 220 MHz radio!!!

KB0DBJ Rating: 2/5 Aug 25, 2016 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Deaf as a doornail  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
We tried one of these in the Mansfield, Texas area & found the receiver to be quite lacking. Granted we are in a high RF environment (who isn't these days ?) but we could barely receive the repeater even 4 miles away. The Baofeng UV-82 is a better option & you get two bands for less money.

NN6B Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2016 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio on the advice of a friend as it was $85.00 on the BridgeCom website. I was able to program the HT quickly without software and was on the air! People have said that I have great audio (already set to wide on the menu). Easily can work some repeaters inside and outside and it has great battery life. I was transmitting for a few QSO's and receiving (several hours a day scanning) for 3-4 days before battery needed a charge. Radio and antenna is very small and can easily fit in your pocket.

Eric (AE2K)

KG6ANT Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2016 22:28 Send this review to a friend
cost effective and performs well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw the ad for the BCH-220 in the latest ARRL online news letter, and for $120.00 I got the handheld, and programming cable including shipping. I received the radio in 2 business days to CA using USPS.

I programmed it using the cable (downloaded) the software from their website. THANK GOD NOT A CHINESE nonsensical GUI!

Drivers loaded so smoothly under WIN 10 I had to do a double-take (AGAIN UNLIKE THE BAOFENG CLONES).

Went outside of my building and hit, and held a 16 minute QSO to a repeater ~ 45 miles away that was NOT line of site, on 5 watts with the rubber dummy-load. The repeater owner and I was very impressed! He wants one now!

Here's the map if you don't believe.

Tech support: (Tim King) was on the phone with me in minutes from my first email question regarding the programming software. He said the default of NARROW should be set to "WIDE" for USA, and that fixed the squelch issues.

MAN AM I A HAPPY CAMPER! Can't wait to retire the old Kenwood TM-123-A when the BCM-220 starts shipping!

Thanks Tim!

73! DE KG6ANT Dave (ANT MAN)

W8CWM Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2016 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mr King,

On Saturday 1/16/2016 I had the privilege of winning a BCH-220 hand held radio in a raffle held by the Huber Heights Amateur Radio Club. I had been looking at both your HT and your new mobile unit on your web site and wondering how they would perform. I am glad too report that it is extremely comfortable to carry and operate. I live about 9 miles (line of sight) from our club repeater so I first tried it out on high power and got excellent reports with people telling me that I was a clear as my base radio but slightly lower in volume. I then downloaded your software to see what type of a nightmare it would be to learn to use. I have to say that I was thrilled to discover that it was totally understandable and ready to use with no effort on my part. I went in to the menus and increased the volume and set the top button to switch from high to low power by just one touch (very nice). My next thought was how good is this rubber duck so I switched to low power and transmitted into the same repeater as before, getting reports back that they could not tell the difference between the HT and my base radio. I also like the drop in charger base it is easy to insert into the charging position, but the thing I was most impressed with was it also was a very stable holder in the non charging position. I have complained forever about HTs that fall over on the desk any time you moved so it was cool to discover you had designed a charger base that also securely supported the HT in the non charging position, yet required no effort to insert or remove.

Thank You for a great design of the complete HT system.
W8CWM

KK6YLW Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2015 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with the first review by K6RJF. It's a fine little radio, emphasis on little. I'm farther away from some of the repeaters than is K6RJF so my signal was somewhat scratchier even at the full 5w output. I suspect it's the rubber duck antenna which is only about 6" long, wavelength unknown. BridgeCom Systems does not sell a bigger antenna or an antenna kit so a tiger tail may be the only way to improve your propagation. Still, the radio works well locally, is a snap to set up and use, is highly portable because of its light weight, and is a great value for the price paid.

K6RJF Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2015 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Solid single-band HT. I like it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Initial impression (on 12/29/15, after 5 days) -- I am happy with my new BridgeCom BCH-220 HT. Last night I checked into a 220 net and received a good signal report.

From my backyard, I can hit 220 band repeaters 20-30 miles away using the rubber duck antenna. (Like other Chinese radios, the antenna SMA is gender-reversed -- something to keep in mind for antenna upgrades.)

Changing frequencies and PL tones manually is a breeze.

Being new to the 220 band, I was surprised to learn that all 220 offsets are minus. (I confirmed my suspicion by pulling up the local Band Plan.) The consistent offset is fortunate because on the BCH-220 the buttonology to change the offset from plus to minus requires several steps.

The rugged case is a little smaller and a little lighter than an FT-60 and Wouxun, and it has a good feel.

The only surprise is that the BCH-220 HT does not ship with a paper copy of the user's manual; however, the manual is available on-line.

The user's manual has a good Quick Start chapter that is written in plain, American English.