Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | National NC-125 Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for National NC-125 Receiver
National NC-125 Receiver Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $139.95 (1963)
Description: .55 KHz to 36 MHz General Coverage Receiver

You can write your own review of the National NC-125 Receiver.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2016 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: months
BTW- Replace the 6SG7 RF amplifier tube with a Western Electric 717A. The increase in sensitivity on 10 meters is about 6-8 S units.

The Select-O-Jet makes the difference in-between no copy of weak AM stations to comfortable copy. The NC-125 must have a high AM Signal to Noise ratio on weak modulated signals. Almost no matter how bad the conditions, 75 meter AM is good about every night on this radio.

W4ZFL Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2016 22:14 Send this review to a friend
Bringd back memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
Atter nI upgraded to General class in b1953 I obtainedf a National NC1215. Wiyjk a harvey wells bandmaster TBS60 CD abd va 4 element 19 meter4 beam I worked stations all over the world. I bfound vthe selecto jet feature very useful. I wish we had the great propagation we had in the 50s. ... Today I live in San Antonio, Texas and have a Yaesu FT-990.

Cliff, W4ZFL

KAPT4560 Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2016 14:31 Send this review to a friend
An interesting National.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found a good unrestored and complete one at the AWA auction some years ago and went through it.
I was impressed by the large dial scale and I already had an NC-200, NC-98 and an NC-109.
The NC-125 uses the 'built-in' Select-o-ject in lieu of an IF xtal selectivity stage.
The S-O-J feature reminds me of a graphic equalizer control as you can 'tune' and either 'boost' or 'reject' the audio frequency response to pick out the audio signal you want emphasized.
While this may work OK, it is somewhat limiting and I do miss a xtal selectivity control. (Maybe because that is what I have become accustomed to over the years?)
With the S-O-J turned off, it has good AM audio fidelity.
When trying to pick a weaker signal a signal out of the adjacent noise is when you want to use the S-O-J.
National pushed Dr. Villard's 'patented' S-O-J as an exclusive feature, but I don't really think that it caught on with amateurs or SWL.
Anyways, this is a good quality, nostalgic (early-mid '50's) general-duty, sensitive band-cruiser.
The following is a factory description of the S-O-J and the stand-alone model that could be adapted to most any receiver: