Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna
Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $27.99
Description: A wonder to behold, the RD-98 is a 17" dualband HT antenna that is only 1/16th of an inch in diameter. The antenna is made of extremely strong and very flexible material -- you can even tie it in a knot without hurting it! This combination of strength and gain (2.15 dBi on Two Meters and 3.2 dBi on 70 Centimeters) has made the RD-98 the favorite antenna of emergency service volunteers and portable packet operators everywhere. The antenna's BNC (or SMA) connector is even fitted with a black rubber guard to keep out moisture. <br>
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna.

KB7XU Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2013 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the BNC version of this antenna for about six years mounted on an FT-60 via a BNC-SMA adaptor. I've used it daily. It's been a good antenna but the radiator is starting to bend right at the plastic cover over the connector, due to handling on my part.

It has performed a bit better on UHF than on VHF; overall, I've been satisfied with its performance but it is easy to stress the radiator at the point I mentioned above.

I think I'll seek a somewhat shorter antenna for all-around convienience. 73, ~Max

N0SSC Rating: 2/5 Sep 22, 2012 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Nope.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To $30 HT antenna manufacturers:

I too can stick a wire into an SMA connector and cover it in plastic, but for $29 less. You're all doing it wrong.

Sincerely, Sterling

***
The best part of this antenna is that it's hard to bend, aside from the fact it always aims for the eye.

KC8IMB Rating: 1/5 May 11, 2012 07:33 Send this review to a friend
No thanks.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sorry, this antenna isnít worth the money. As mentioned previously, itís just too long. Add to this the extreme flexibility and you have an inevitable eye-poking due to an uncontrolled antenna! The performance was sub-par to my stock antenna (Yaesu VX-5R) on 144/440. Save your hard-earned cash.

KC6YFR Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2010 20:49 Send this review to a friend
All I wanted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could not hit the club repeater from my recliner using the stock antenna on my FT-60R. Now with the RD-98 it's easy. It does exactly what I hoped it would.

KJ6AIW Rating: 3/5 Dec 12, 2009 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Great flexible 2m antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Swr is great on 2m, and totally unacceptable (well over 3-4:1) on 440. Price is great, got mine for 18 dollars. Quality of build is ok. Its worth every penny, for the most part.

N6VI Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2009 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for Emcomm!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a couple of years' excellent performance from this antenna, I bought two more, and all three (2 BNC & 1 SMA) are in service. The flexibility lets me roll it up in a fanny pack or leave it on the radio without fear of breakage. I handed one to a friend having trouble making a contact with his much more expensive aftermarket antenna. He popped it on, and his problem was solved. I emphasize to our newer emcomm operators the importance of being able to work simplex over distance and not rely on repeaters all the time. If they must limit themselves to a handheld, I recommend they get an RD-98 to go with it.

Marty N6VI
ARES, ACS, CERT III

KI6USU Rating: 1/5 Apr 22, 2009 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Good gain but flimsy construction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I procured this antenna on a whim at Fry's Electronics, and got the BNC version. My friend has the SMA version, and in comparing them, I can tell the construction is virtually identical. I used it on my T-90A (with an adapter for it, as Fry's didn't have the SMA antenna). There was a vast improvement in Tx on 2 meters. I got good signal reports from repeaters where I was barely perceptible with my stock duck. Moreover, wide band receive improved also, especially near where the antenna was meant to receive, including the airband, the business bands, and the police bands.

However, within two months use, the whip section broke off from the base. The antenna had a poor design, in which there is no strain relief of any kind on the base. The strain relief is important on this kind of antenna, where the whip is so thin and tends to swing around a lot (which also was annoying, it should have been stiffer and thicker).

I won't buy a Pryme antenna again. I just ordered a MFJ 1720S, because it's just about the same length as the RD-98, works with 6 meters, and is much beefier than the RD-98. Also, eHam's glowing reviews about the 1720S persuaded me. It isn't as inconspicuous as the RD-98, but it looks like it will last a good long time.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2006 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Mine works great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In reading the bad reviews here, there are several negatives cited:

- I broke it - You can break a 2x4 if you try

- It is too long - Not Pryme's fault

- The center pin is short on the SMA connector - SMA connectors are a lousy choice for the application. Blame the radio manufacturers.

- It is too dorky - That is a personal problem

My experience with this antenna has been totally positive.

VE6JJO Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2006 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Stuff  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The rubber duck on my VX-7 gets me to where I need to go most of the time. It is absolutely amazing how much of a difference it makes to have this antenna in place however. Marginal contacts become easy. My house has steel siding so sometimes I have to go to a window to use the radio with the stock antenna but with the Pryme...no problems anywhere in the house including the basement. Yeah, its not the most conventient thing to have when you have the radio clipped to your belt thats for sure, I would never use it that way it just wouldn't be good. BUT I SAW HOW LONG IT WAS BEFORE I BOUGHT IT. Its not like I unwrapped a package and was shocked. Nice high gain and yeah, its a little whippy but again - I knew that before I bought it.

I knew what I was buying before I bought it and so since it exceeds all my expectations...5 it is.

K6MTT Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine well over a year with no problems.

It's a decent performer and I have not had any issues at the base (I use the BNC version) and I really like the fact that I can bend it over (gently) to fit in luggage without damage - it always springs back to vertical.

IMHO it's not long enough to be too dorky (and being very thin, it's not so noticeable either). The performance is well worth it.

I like enough to have gotten one for a friend's HT and it's pleased him as well.