Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna
Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $27.99
Description: A wonder to behold, the RD-98 is a 17" dualband HT antenna that is only 1/16th of an inch in diameter. The antenna is made of extremely strong and very flexible material -- you can even tie it in a knot without hurting it! This combination of strength and gain (2.15 dBi on Two Meters and 3.2 dBi on 70 Centimeters) has made the RD-98 the favorite antenna of emergency service volunteers and portable packet operators everywhere. The antenna's BNC (or SMA) connector is even fitted with a black rubber guard to keep out moisture. <br>
More info: http://www.pryme.com

You can write your own review of the Pryme RD-98 144/440 HT SMA Antenna.

W1SCB Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2003 00:12 Send this review to a friend
Good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this and 8 other SMA antennae to use on my two handhelds, A Yaesu VX@ and Kenwood TH-F6. This one performs fine, and is one of the few whose pin is long enough to reach on my VX2! The RD9 pryme I have wont. It seems weak and I treat it gingerly for fear of failure, and it whips around quite a bit. I have had suggestions of adding a layer or two of shrink wrap to stiffen the base section by the connector, but haven't gotten to it. Overall, fairly inexpensive and works well.

KQ4KK Rating: 0/5 Sep 16, 2003 19:57 Send this review to a friend
DOA The center pin is too short  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the SMA version at Dayton this year. Did not use it on my VX7 till I got home. The center pin is too short for the VX7!! Sent two emails to Pryme, never got a response. Put a message on the VX7 reflector, got 10 responses with the same outcome. Only buy one if the center pin is long enough.

KG6MXV Rating: 0/5 Sep 16, 2003 17:52 Send this review to a friend
Defective unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of theses after reading these great reviews. When installed on my Icom W32A I couldn't even hit local repeaters. Reinstalling my stock antenna put things back to normal - I could access the local repeaters with no problem.

There's nothing obvious with the Pryme antenna to show me it has a problem - no visible breaks or twists or kinks or anything.. Is there a way to somehow test it with a ohmmeter?

KD7BCY Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2003 15:11 Send this review to a friend
The perfect antenna?  Time owned: more than 12 months
This thing is great! The best HT antenna I've found. Gets out great on 2m and 70cm, and does a good job receiving anything the VX-5 can tune. Unfortunatley, it just broke. The wire snapped at the connector. I've had this antenna more than a year and has been through so much abuse, I'm suprised anything could last this long, so I'm off to buy another one! I'm just not sure if my VX-5 will last as long as this next antenna, being dropped, drowned, baked, and abused every other way I know. I suppose dropping the radio antenna first all the time might have something to do with the breakage...

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2003 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Get this antenna if you have a dual-band HT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
- don't waste your money on more expensive shorter SMA antennas! get this antenna for your HT and you won't have trouble hitting your repeater...

- this antenna is also good for the new breed of wideband-receive HTs and works a lot better than the original OEM dummy load (i shouldn't say this really, as a few HTs do come with an acceptable antenna)...

- i'm one of those idiots who, after just getting a ticket, went out and spent quite a bit of money on HTs and sundry accessories... don't make the same mistake!

- buying this antenna will be the best money spent for an accessory for your HT... (a nice case is next)...

K4III Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2003 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Better than Comet's Ver.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a Pryme RD-8 antenna and it worked ok for about 2 weeks until it went dead. I guess it was faulty. I called up for a replacement, and required a SMA version instead of the BNC because I had since picked up a new radio. They credited me the cost and I added the few extra bucks for the SMA and longer version (D-98).

WOW! I've tested the antenna compared to 7 friend's Comet "version" long wire antenna. It beat them all on 440! I could hit the repeaters 30 miles away with my HT on 2.5 watts using the RD-98 compared to a full 5 watt required with Comet's version. What is the difference, the diameter of the wire? I even tried to cut a comet down, but it didn't seem to change the results!

Anyways, great antenna, and it can fold around so if it's in the way, you can tuck the tip back under the yaesu vx-5 belt clip so that it is shorter than a 5 inches and pull it out when you need it without even putting a permanent "bend" in it!

5/5 for me!!!

WB2GOF Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2002 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Good Improvement of Stock Antennas  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very Flexible. I use it with my ALinco DJ-V5T, and the difference is astounding. I have no problem with the flexing of the antenna, whether its on my belt on in my hand. Signals do tend to fade in and out when the antenna whips about, but I just steady it for a second before transmitting. This is tolerable to me for the added gain and improvement of the HT's stock antenna. And the price is right. I can hit repeaters about 25 miles from my home!

N5VWN Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2002 15:38 Send this review to a friend
great but not perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, so far this is a really good antenna and worth the money. I almost gave it a "5". It has one drawback that is a minor irritant. As reported earlier on a weaker reception, you must hold it really still as the floppy antenna swings, the station fades in and out. Just needs to be a tad stiffer. Other than that, it's improved the performance of my icom T81a. Now it works as good as my old htx-202, which has outlasted an alinco and another icom so far. But that's another review.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2002 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for small HTs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RD-98 with a BNC connector instead of the SMA connector. I am using it with my iCOM ICW21AT, Dual Band HT and my Alinco DJS40 70cm HT.

I use an adapter made by KC2BHO to adapt the Alinco SMA jack to the BNC on the antenna. Stephen Gulyas makes a line of adapters for a growing selection of HT's. With a nod to WA3HRL, his webpage has info on these products. http://www.wa3hrl.com/smabnc/

At $11.95 + $1.50 for s/h, this is a good buy. On the HT, the rubber outer cover of the adapter seats firmly on the radio and provides of a very sturdy connection.

I consider this a good investment for any HT user who wants to utilize an antenna with a BNC connector on an HT with a SMA antenna jack.

I also purchased the AL-800 telescoping antenna, with BNC connector, from the same mfg. This one is also dual band, extends to 34" and collapses to 10". You can also uscrew the telescoping unit and replace it with a 9" flexible whip as needed.

The RD-98 for flexibility or the AL-800 for gain - your choice.

KG4TZY Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2002 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had great results with this antenna. I took my VX-150 on a trip to New York. Of course the rubber duckie did not perform so I picked up this antenna and was able to reliably hit repeaters from inside the house. Back home I was able to hit repeaters at 15 miles from inside the house. Great addition!