Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | BTECH (BaoFeng) UV-2501+220 Help

Reviews Summary for BTECH (BaoFeng) UV-2501+220
BTECH (BaoFeng) UV-2501+220 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $139.83
Description: Tri-band (2m, 220, 440) mobile transceiver w/ 25/10W output on all bands
More info: http://baofengtech.com/uv-2501+220

You can write your own review of the BTECH (BaoFeng) UV-2501+220.

W9MT Rating: 2/5 Jul 20, 2017 00:11 Send this review to a friend
Great radio while it worked, but it only lasted 10 months...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update to my earlier review.

Last week my UV-2501+220 was having problems keying up local repeaters. The output meter showed a full scale of power output bar segments, so I thought it was a CTCSS tone generation problem. Then it "fixed itself" and began working fine again. This made me suspect the issue was just a software glitch that could be fixed by a reset and reprogramming. I was wrong.

Today, same problem...only this time it didn't "come back to life".

Hooking it up to an RF power meter and a dummy load showed what was truly happening. It's NOT a PL tone problem. The PA module is actually quite dead. In transmit, the radio's modulation can be heard on another nearby radio, but there is no measurable RF output in either high power or low. So all stages are functioning through the driver to the PA, but not PA to the antenna.

It also seems the output power meter function on the LCD display is "just for show". It reads full scale in high power mode, and about 4 bars in low power...even now. But, it isn't really measuring anything. It's simply an indicator of what output mode you're in !!!

My little gem of a radio is now just a crummy receiver. Sad...

I hope my more recently purchased UV-25x4 doesn't suffer the same PA module infant mortality. Is this the Chinese version of "planned obsolescence"?

Does anyone know if the PA modules available as a repair or replacement part? I'd like to fix this radio, but certainly cannot find a source, other than look for a donor radio that may have died for a different reason. (maybe a receive problem)

KJ6ZH Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2017 11:13 Send this review to a friend
The Right Rig at the Right Price for my Application  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this radio a month ago along with the Nagoya TB-320 and the programming cable from BTech. Was using a Yaesu FT-857D in my car to listen to 2 meters for several months and realized that using a $1400 radio (replacement cost when you consider the 2 filters, the MH59A8J mic and the TCXO) for only one band, since 440 is dead in the Sacramento area due to Pave Paws restrictions, on a daily basis was not the smartest move. I am very pleased with this little radio. Gives me 2 meters and 222 Mhz and can hit all the local repeaters on these bands. On air audio reports say I am crisp with no distortion. Have had no issues with intermod, overload or overheating in daily use. Programming using the cable was easy and worked the first time using both Chirp and the BTech software. Control of the many features from the microphone works well. The reported relay sound on 220 is not an issue since I donít use the dual watch function but I can see where it could be.
This is the right rig at the right price for my application.

W9PMZ Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2016 07:58 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It works.
Menu operation is much much much different than the big brands and not always intuitive.
Programming is just as bad.
It does get hot and the fan runs, but it is really don't' care in the car.
But it does work and worked out of the box.

W5RDW Rating: 1/5 Aug 8, 2016 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Wish it worked as specified......!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
o Neat little radio, especially a tri-bander with 220 MHz, BUT, it suffers from a heat dissipation problem among other problems. On HI power out, My unit dropped 3-4 dB power out in the 220 MHz band after 10 secs. key down. Two meters and 440 were not as bad, but have similar problems. I imagine the design needs to beef up the heat sinking to the final device and maybe do a better job of power matching the device.

o Easy to program with CHIRP.

o The power ON/OFF button takes a heavy finger to operate.

Sent mine back after a few days. I'll wait until they redesign it to act like a 25 watt design.

N6JSX Rating: 0/5 May 18, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
BTech no QA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got two BTech's, de Amazon, and both were DOA right out of the box. Both NIB but unsealed.

1.) apply 12VDC - radio auto-energized, could not turn OFF, via PWR button.

2,) apply 12VDC - PWR button would not turn ON the radio. (fuse good, 12VDC good into radio)

Both had PWR buttons recessed into the front bezel housing. Only press with lil finger tip - no affect?!?

ALSO I've heard (2nd hand) that when band switching you can hear relay chatter (suspect it's band filtering) - how many cycles before the relay craps out? So much for Mem Scan mode. But with no schematics, service manual, BOM - it's a $140 throw away.

Does BTech know how to spell "Quality" Assurance?

Good news Amazon gave me full money back and UPS return label - no questions.

Twice burned by BTech - never again BTech, cheap is cheap.

KE6JZ Rating: 1/5 Apr 29, 2016 11:39 Send this review to a friend
I had to return mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I really wanted to like this radio. I received reports of poor audio and determined it had a bad microphone. I switched out the Mic from my Kenwood transceiver and the audio improved. On to programming....Using the factory software was very difficult. The software would download, but would not upload. It would take many attempts to upload and, occasionally the radio would accept the file. Very buggy factory software, and yes, I was using the factory suggested cable priced at $20 extra. And yes, I tried different computers with Windows 7 and 10 with the same buggy results.
The radio had an RX audio delay in that the first second or 2 of a received transmission would be cut off. This is NOT a CTCSS decode issue either. I determined that the reason is that there is a setting in the Factory software that sets this delay as a form of "repeater reverse burst" feature. This feature is ONLY accessible through the factory software , not the front panel "Set" functions. And CHIRP software (when it worked) would reset and turn back on this delay, as there are no provisions in CHIRP to access/toggle this feature. Which means you have to again use the Factory buggy software to go in and toggle off the RX delay feature...that is IF you can get the software to upload to the radio.
The radio is very small and I really like the size. I think it was released too early before the QC issues were worked out. I am looking forward to additional reviews on this radio and will reconsider purchasing it again if/when the bugs are worked out.
RT systems now has software available for this radio ($49), but I do not know if it will access the radios "set" menu items.
Scanning was "interesting" in that there is a relay that will switch the 220Mhz bandpass filter in and out of the circuit depending on if you are scanning any 220 mhz channels. If you are not scanning 220, but only 146/440 mhz frequencies, the relay will not be making its "noise". The relay noise may bother some, but not others. In a mobile environment you may not notice it, but in a home/quiet/base station environment you will hear the relay clicking.I found it annoying.
That's it for now. Hoping improvements are being considered on this radio. It is the only tri-band 2m/220/440 rig available in this size. AND, it goes a LONG way in getting 222 mhz active again in the US after the "Big three" radio manufacturers abandoned the 222mhz band.
73.

KK4YMI Rating: 4/5 Apr 26, 2016 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've enjoyed this little radio (tiny!) it works well, though you won't get any high-end features (like memory banks.) the 220 relay does click when scanning, and TDR clicks continuously if on a 220 freq. However, I would definitely buy again. Would be a great starter radio. I think the price is a little high; I would like to see it come in at around $100.

W4RAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
good radio for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the money this is a good 3-band mobile radio.
Add a good tri-band antenna and it works very well.

Pros: Size, price, frequency range coverage, good microphone, good transmit audio, good receive audio.

Cons: Display is a little small but so is the radio. Relay clicking when scanning the bands, not loud but loud enough to hear it.

The 2501+220 is a solid performer. Audio is clear in both directions, It has a Kenwood-style microphone that is easy to use.

I installed a good tri-band antenna with this radio and I am easily keying up all of the local repeaters and some a good distance away on low power. Simplex operations are very good as well.

This model has a speaker jack, unlike the dual-band UV-2501 as well a a data jack that is used to program it. I did not use the free programming software as I have a software program that I used to program the 2501+220. It programs fast less than a minute for 40 plus memory channels.

The frequency range of the radio covers more than the ham bands, I have programmed several aircraft frequencies just to monitor them and they are clear

220mhz is making a good comeback in our area and this a great way to get on 220 in your mobile and have vhf/uhf also.

KB6LED Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2016 12:38 Send this review to a friend
it's just OK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iím not going to bash this radio too bad since itís only $139.00

Proís

-itís small
-Itís cheap

Conís

-The front end overloads easy in moderate RF environments
-The scan is not very good at all, it will stop on everything regardless of tone guard or not
- Speaker audio it not good at least to my ear
- There is a noticeable whine on a receive signals that goes away when the mic is unplugged.

Bottom line itís certainly a cheap way to get on all the popular VHF & UHF bands but itís totally lacking in receiver performance while the radio has great sensitively itís easily overloaded .

K9TMU Rating: 0/5 Feb 22, 2016 11:48 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT BUY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RECEIVED MY BTECH UV 2501+220 ON FRIDAY. WHILE TRYING TO PROGRAM THE RADIO IT DIED. THE SPEAKER IS MUTED AND YOU COULD NOT HEAR AUDIO UNTIL YOU PUSHED THE MONO BUTTON.THE UNIT DIED WHILE TRYING TO PROGRAM REPEATER INPUT. DISPLAY WENT BLACK AND TURNED IT OFF AND ON.HEARD A CLICKING SOUND NO DISPLAY OR SOUND. GOT A RETURN FROM AMAZON AND SENDING IT BACK AND WILL NOT BUY AGAIN UNTIL I SEE SOME GOOD RESPONSE TO THE PROBLEMS THEY HAVE BEING ADDRESSED.