Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | MFJ-1896 6M Rigid Moxon Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1896 6M Rigid Moxon Antenna
MFJ-1896 6M Rigid Moxon Antenna Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: MFJ-1896 6M Rigid Moxon Antenna
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1896 6M Rigid Moxon Antenna.

W2OZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2017 08:44 Send this review to a friend
After repairing,good value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It took several months but eventually MFJ made good on the mis drilled booms and we could assemble the 2 antennas . The provided feedpoint lead had to be trimmed to as short as possible from the coax breakout point to the antenna terminals, it is too long as provided and lowers the feedpoint to 30 ohms . Once this is corrected the antenna shows 1.1 SWR at 50.1 MHz with the suggested dimensions properly adjusted . This is a good value , but not sure of the overall delay in realizing this . Wrote this second review because the antenna is suffering due to poor QC not the design .

W2OZ Rating: 0/5 Aug 1, 2017 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Poor Manufacturing, 4 months not resolved!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The boom drillings are not square, so the elements are skewed weirdly !, Have corresponded with MFJ, they are involved in internal finger pointing, still no resolution and no antenna in the air ! Ordered in April 2017, is dragging out like a root canal ! The drilled holes in the boom are not at good angles, elements not in the same plane and the mast mount is not at 90 deg , replacement parts are just as bad .

W4LCM Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Little 6Mts Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you looking to get in the 6Mts Band and donít want
to spend too much in this Magic/crazy band; This is
the right antenna.

After one year of used, I have no problem.
45 feet up on a TV rotor and 100 watts, I make lots of contacts.

I just order a new one, for field day and portable used.

K0IVK Rating: 4/5 Jun 21, 2016 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Great F/S & F/B ratio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been working 6 meters when it opened up for several years, but with a "make shift" antenna. The internal tuners in my radios will tune my tri-band yagi on 6M OK, but it doesn't tune the RX side, so the receive was poor. I looked at several antennas, but didn't want to donate much of my very limited space for an antenna to be used on a band that was open such a small amount of time. This year I stumbled onto the Moxon from MFJ. That looked like the answer to my 6 Meter problem. I searched for the on line manual, to check out the specs before I ordered, but couldn't find it. Maybe because it must be a new addition to the MFJ line. I ordered one anyway and when it arrived I immediately saw a problem, because the supplied U-bolt was for a 1 3/4" mast only. I intended to put the Moxon above my HF Yagi, where my 2M SSB antenna was. but my mast is 2". This created a delay installing the antenna. Why would MFJ skimp on the size of the U-bolt?? The antenna went together easily. I was skeptical about the tiny balun assembly being able to handle much power. Hope I don't blow finals because of that. The SWR is good on both the CW and JT-65 part of the band, under 1.5:1, with no mods to the balun leads. It's hard to say if I'm working anything I wouldn't have worked before, but received signals are much stronger for sure. I gave it a 4 because of the lack of support for a 2" mast. All the antennas I own will handle a 2 " mast. I am very impressed with the F/S and F/B rejection, signals drop off to almost nothing when You turn the antenna. I never expected such from a reduced size antenna. If MFJ came up with a 17 meter Moxon, I would be interested, I now use a vertical , but would welcome a little gain on 17.

KT4EP Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2016 14:37 Send this review to a friend
going to be a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Give it " good " for now since I am only testing it. Easy assembly. No parts missing. Instructions clear but there might be an error on the completed antenna diagram. Following the prior review I cut the leads from the balun to 1.5 inches and the swr at 51 mhz went from 2.6/1 to 1.5/1. I think this would be a great antenna for field or camping/portable/mountains, etc. I don't know how it will hold up to an ice storm - it seems sturdy enough, though.

NR7N Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2016 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Surprisingly Good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a new 6M antenna so I scouted around on the Internet and this popped up. I found it on the HRO web site and it seems to be relatively new. I normally am not fond of MFJ antennas as the fit and finish is not always the best and performance can be variable.

I decided to take a chance so I dropped by HRO and picked one up. When I got home the first thing I did was unpack the box and to my surprise everything was there. The hardware is stainless steel, the spacers fiberglass rod and all of the aluminum tubing was cut squarely and was nicely finished.

Assembly was easy, although some careful measuring was required. It took about an hour. This antenna is supplied with a balun that is made of coax with ferrite cores over the coax. Everything is held in place with shrink tubing that was properly done. The coax connection is a SO-239 type pigtail jack that is of good quality and shrunk wrapped as well.

The only thing that was a bit strange was the leads that came out of the balun end (for connection to the driven element) were about 5-1/2" long. I felt this might be an issue but I tried the antenna out after mounting it on a 7' PVC pipe. Sure enough, the VSWR on my Comet analyzer was 4.5:1 an resonance. At this point, it was a good chance that the long leads, which added a lot of inductance, were the culprit. I unsoldered the ring terminals off each lead and cut each wire down to 1.5". After soldering the terminals on again I tried the antenna out once more. The VSWR was an impressive 1.03:1 at 50.125 MHz (this is 50 MHz not 5 MHz)and I did not have to adjust any element lengths. At height the antenna maintained its low VSWR.

This is a surprisingly good quality 6M antenna at a bargain price.