Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole
Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$130
Description: 40-20-15-10 Metre End Fed Dipole

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2018 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Product, GREAT Support  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is for the HP model of this antenna, capable of handling 1.5 KW ICAS power.

At my QTH, this antenna is relatively low to the ground, 7 feet at the feed point and perhaps 25 feet at the far end. It is also installed at our Florida 55+ HOA restricted subdivision. In general, I was skittish about getting it up undetected. When first installed, I had difficulty getting it to resonate. In order to be safe, rather than cutting off wire to resonate, I was folding it back on itself (which Danny later explained that when using insulated wire, actually added capacitance/loading rather than changing the resonant frequency). I purchased an antenna tuner and operated with 2.2:1 SWRs on 40 and 20. I then noticed that after long winded QSOs (running 600 watts), the transformer started heating up and changing it's characteristics.

So, I again emailed Danny. He responded immediately, kindly pointing out my error of folding back wire rather than cutting. He gave me approximate lengths to actually cut off. I proceeded cautiously removing first 12 inches then 6. I now have 1.6:1 SWR across 40 and 1.2:1 across 20, 15 and 10.

The antenna itself has worked very well. From Sebring, Florida running 600 watts PEP, I can easily work Europe on both 40 and 20. Stateside reports are also positive.

I highly recommend MyAntenna products as they are well made and the support is excellent.
K2MK Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2018 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Solidly built and easy to tune  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second end-fed four band dipole. I had success with another brand four band and was intrigued by the different multi-band system employed by MyAntennas’ four band. I live in a HOA restricted community so I secretly deploy my antenna on contest weekends. The transformer box is mounted to a tree (cord and pulley system) and the end insulator secured to a plastic tent peg in the ground. I’ve only been able to elevate the transformer end to 19 feet. Performance is very good. I am able to work lots of stations with 100 watts. DX can be challenging, however, I’ve worked a fair amount in a short period of time primarily on CW and RTTY.

My tip for tuning is to use a portable analyzer and slowly cut away wire while monitoring the 40 meter band SWR. Stop cutting while resonance is still below 7.0 MHz. At that point carefully review the SWR over the entire range of each of the four bands. Then very carefully trim a little at a time until the SWR on all 4 bands is acceptable to you. As you make small changes be sure to review the full effect on all 4 bands. Don’t get aggressive. Take your time.

Construction is excellent with several available mounting options on the transformer box. MyAntennas’ multi-band approach coils up 2 feet of the antenna’s radiator on a small PVC tube not far from the transformer box. This has a side benefit of shortening the overall length of the antenna by approximately two feet compared with my other four band antenna that uses three wire stubs. SWR results are very good and similar to that of the other antenna. No antenna tuner is needed.

Pre-purchase questions were quickly answered by the company owner, Danny. I wondered whether the overall wire length was long enough for CW band edge tuning. Danny decided to add two feet of wire to the overall length to allay my concerns. This turned out not to be necessary as I ended up triming off a total of 43 inches from the antenna to meet my needs.

Three benefits of interest to me helped me in my decision to make this antenna my first choice. They are: multiple mounting features on the transformer box; a slightly shorter overall length; and a cleaner antenna to wind-up after use due to the lack of wire stubs on the radiator.
W8MIB Rating: 2/5 Jan 29, 2018 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Water issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received as a Christmas gift the MEF-330-1K box that is used on this antenna. Inatalled it and it worked great for two weeks. Turned the radio on one morning and swr was crazy. I went out to check the wire and box and found the box was filled with water and frozen! The installation of the box was horizonal so the weep hole was at the bottom. The coax was waterproofed....I am glad it was a gift and I didn't pay for it!
WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2017 11:43 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous Performance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a townhouse community with antenna restrictions. Since 2010, I've been very successfully operating QRP with a doublet in my RF friendly attic managed by an SGC autocoupler. No complaints BUT I've wondered how an outside antenna would compare.

I received permission last month to install a low profile wire antenna outside. My home is two stories with both and upper and lower rear decks and there is a 30 foot high pine tree about 40 feet away. This was a perfect setup for an Inverted "L" antenna.

I chose the 63' long EFHW-4010 and ran it from the tree top to a fiberglass pole on the upper deck and then sloped it down to the matchbox mounted on the lower deck.

Clearly, I had a "Perverted" L instead of a standard geometry "L".

The darn thing works just great! Resonance is right where it should be and I've been receiving consistently good reports in spite of the poor HF conditions. Getting the antenna out and away from the house really does make a difference. I'm a happy camper.

At first I was picking up more noise than the attic antenna but a Mix 31 2.5 inch toroid with 10 turns of coax through it and mounted NOT at the matchbox but right before the transceiver took care of the noise problem.

The only further change I am going to make is to replace the #18 insulatde wire with Wireman 534 #28. I already called the MyAntennas company and was told this would be no problem. My reason for doing this is to further lower visibility. My plan is to just replace the original wire from the end insulator back to about a foot from the coil. I'll just cut and solder.

In summary, operating under present "poorer" conditions, I'm hearing more stations and hearing them with a lower noise level. On transmit I am getting very good reports for my QRP station. This antenna is a clear winner for my situation. I'm good on 40 through 10 and use my K2 internal ATU where the antenna is not resonant.
KF7DS Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2017 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Love It  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I lost my Clark Mast and TA 31jr dipole in an ice storm earlier this year, and replaced it with an EFHW-4010. It is strung in a north south alignment with the tuner box at 30’ on a fiberglass mast, and the other end up 30’ in a tree downslope from from the mast. The feedline goes through a Myantennas common mode/rfi/line isolator before the DXE antenna switch box.

It is surprisingly quiet and has a very good s/n ratio relative to my Butternut HF2V (which has 50 radials) and an Alpha Delta 40/80m dipole which is up 45’ in the trees. On A/B comparisons, it hears much better on 40m than either of my other antennas, and works great on 20, 17, 15 and 10 meters. SWR is less than 1.4:1 on all bands in the cw portions except 17 where it is 2:1 which is easily cleaned up by the internal tuner in my IC 7300.

I am so impressed I ordered another to replace the Alpha Delta dipole, and will string it E-W up 45’.

Great antenna.
G7JZD Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just erected this antenna, mainly for 40 Mts, which it works superbly, it also works great on 20 Mts = 15 Mts = 10 Mts.
Use to use a 66 feet wire for 40 Mts because of my small garden, This EFHW 4010 Fits in my garden and works great, Quiet in use and can hear stations i am certain i could not hear before, and i now can contact them, works all day at 400 watts, our allowance in the UK.
F5MWA Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna in order to work the HF bands from my US qth in Maryland (K3EK). I was planning to put up a Hexbeam next year but in view of the outstanding results this antenna gives on 20 and 40 mtrs I have abandoned this idea. Europe is contacted very day in spite of the bad conditions we are experiencing at the moment. I have installed it at aro 20 ft above the ground in my backyard. Signal reports are very good and most hams are astonished to hear I'm working with a simple end fed. I long hesitated between a vertical and this end fed. The noise floor is very low and in no comparison with the one a vertical would have had. Try it, you'll be surprised.
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Best First (or Last!) Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Though I had two great antennas, a SteppIR vertical and a 3 el yagi, I wanted to try something that might give me a little better edge with more "close-in" stations. No room for standard dipole here in suburbs near Cleveland OH, but lots of room in the back yard for a "single wire" type antenna. After searching reviews and reading a LOT of antenna theory, an "end-fed dipole" seemed like a possible solution. Well, I ordered this EFHW-4010 and suspended the black box end from a 30 foot "army pole" and the insulator end raised with thin black antenna rope up onto a tree limb at about 20 feet. Have all 3 antennas coming to an Ameritron antenna switch for easy choosing. AMAZING ANTENNA !! Most of the time it's about 50-50 between the BigIR vertical and the end fed. On 40 meters, the EF is usually better on regional nets. After several months of careful comparison, I can say with great certainty that if there was only one antenna to have, this is it (or it's longer 80-10 meter brother!) Swept the antenna SWR for resonance and it's right where it should be, as advertised, every band. Don't even use the tuner. No problem running 600 watts into it either when band conditions demand that. I've had many different antennas over almost 50 years in hamming, including some great fan dipoles, and I have to say that this outperforms any wire antenna I've ever had in the air. Inexpensive antenna for such stellar performance !
N0SA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2016 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Exactly As Described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just hung my EfHW 4010 and checked it's performance via VSWR. The tuning is spot on for all four bands. My antenna is hung flat at about 25 feet up. Before I hung the antenna I checked the matching transformer with my spectrum analyzer and sure enough the insertion loss and VSWR matched what is posted on the website. I don't know what he has inside the black box but it must be more than a simple toroid and capacitor. Whatever it is, it is well designed and meets specified parameters. It is nice to have a supplier that sells a top notch product. The quality of the build and parts used are all top notch too. I would easily buy more products from this guy if needed.
W8TK Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfect portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took this antenna on vacation to northern Arizona, tossed the end up into a pine tree. First QSO was with England. Enjoyed many QSOs with Europe and all over Asia running only 10 watts with my KX3. Our club uses the antenna monthly for National Parks events because it can be deployed in just a few minutes and it works great. Since it is end-fed, it requires only one support point and any tree will do.