Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$130
Description: 40-20-15-10 Metre End Fed Dipole
More info: http://myantennas.com

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-4010 4-Band End Fed Dipole.

F5MWA Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2017 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna in order to work the HF bands from my US qth in Maryland (K3EK). I was planning to put up a Hexbeam next year but in view of the outstanding results this antenna gives on 20 and 40 mtrs I have abandoned this idea. Europe is contacted very day in spite of the bad conditions we are experiencing at the moment. I have installed it at aro 20 ft above the ground in my backyard. Signal reports are very good and most hams are astonished to hear I'm working with a simple end fed. I long hesitated between a vertical and this end fed. The noise floor is very low and in no comparison with the one a vertical would have had. Try it, you'll be surprised.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Best First (or Last!) Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Though I had two great antennas, a SteppIR vertical and a 3 el yagi, I wanted to try something that might give me a little better edge with more "close-in" stations. No room for standard dipole here in suburbs near Cleveland OH, but lots of room in the back yard for a "single wire" type antenna. After searching reviews and reading a LOT of antenna theory, an "end-fed dipole" seemed like a possible solution. Well, I ordered this EFHW-4010 and suspended the black box end from a 30 foot "army pole" and the insulator end raised with thin black antenna rope up onto a tree limb at about 20 feet. Have all 3 antennas coming to an Ameritron antenna switch for easy choosing. AMAZING ANTENNA !! Most of the time it's about 50-50 between the BigIR vertical and the end fed. On 40 meters, the EF is usually better on regional nets. After several months of careful comparison, I can say with great certainty that if there was only one antenna to have, this is it (or it's longer 80-10 meter brother!) Swept the antenna SWR for resonance and it's right where it should be, as advertised, every band. Don't even use the tuner. No problem running 600 watts into it either when band conditions demand that. I've had many different antennas over almost 50 years in hamming, including some great fan dipoles, and I have to say that this outperforms any wire antenna I've ever had in the air. Inexpensive antenna for such stellar performance !

N0SA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2016 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Exactly As Described  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just hung my EfHW 4010 and checked it's performance via VSWR. The tuning is spot on for all four bands. My antenna is hung flat at about 25 feet up. Before I hung the antenna I checked the matching transformer with my spectrum analyzer and sure enough the insertion loss and VSWR matched what is posted on the website. I don't know what he has inside the black box but it must be more than a simple toroid and capacitor. Whatever it is, it is well designed and meets specified parameters. It is nice to have a supplier that sells a top notch product. The quality of the build and parts used are all top notch too. I would easily buy more products from this guy if needed.
Larry
n0sa

W8TK Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Perfect portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I took this antenna on vacation to northern Arizona, tossed the end up into a pine tree. First QSO was with England. Enjoyed many QSOs with Europe and all over Asia running only 10 watts with my KX3. Our club uses the antenna monthly for National Parks events because it can be deployed in just a few minutes and it works great. Since it is end-fed, it requires only one support point and any tree will do.

NA6Z Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Manufactured antenna exceeds expectations  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My QTH is space-limited, both horizontally and vertically. I was looking for a multi-band wire antenna design that would fit. I read the reviews for the 8010 model and decided to take a chance on the shorter 4010. It performs very well on the 4 main bands, even though it is only mounted at 25 feet at one end and 15 at the other. The SWR claims are true. And it is quieter than my half-wave vertical dipole. Definitely worth the money.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2016 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Compact and Effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I traveled a great deal with this antenna and a Yaesu FT-991 this summer, running it from back yards, in the woods strung between trees, as a horizontal dipole and a sloper, etc. It worked great on 10-15-20 and 40M. SWR was usually better than 2:1 and when it was not, because I had some mighty sloppy installations, the FT-991 internal tuner brought it right down to 1.2:1 or better. Made plenty of DX contacts, too. I used this antenna with MyAntenna's CMC-330-1K in-line RF choke. The combo of the two is tiny, light and easy to pack. Just bought its big brother, the EFHW-8010 for use as an inverted V back home. I'm sold!

N2PH Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2016 04:27 Send this review to a friend
N2PH-Does the job!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had an LNR 40 through 10 meter end fed antenna and I liked it, but it was a bear to tune. After reading the reviews on the 4010 and talking to Dannie, I thought I would give it a try. No tuning was required!-the SWR’s for 40, 20, 15 and 10 were excellent. But, I am a CW operator and I love to tinker with antennas so I added about 4 inches of wire to the end and the SWR’s were even better.

But, who cares whether you have a SWR of 1.4 or 1.2 right? The key question is does the antenna work and it does. I run 40 watts or less and I have made numerous contacts all over the US and the world. I consistently get good reports. Is it a beam?-of course not, but this is a simple, very effective antenna which has worked great for me.

My set up-is the matchbox is at 30 feet and the antenna slopes down to 16 feet. I live in a very tough environment (the Jersey shore) where it is windy-average wind speed 15 MPH, and everything is affected by the salt air and this antenna seems well made to handle this tough environment.

I don't think you will be sorry if you buy one.

AB7KT Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2016 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only been using this antenna for about a week However, I have been using wire HF antennas since 1979 and have tried a lot of them. I came to the conclusion that there is no magic antenna: if you have wire antennas of approx. the same size, they are going to work about the same on the air. BUT, the difference with this antenna is that the end fed design makes installation much easier AND it does exhibit low SWR over the low end of various HF bands. I am making no claims of super performance on the air: it works about like any other wire antenna of similar length. But, my initial impressions are that this may be the best wire antenna I have ever used because it's easy to install and it loads without a tuner at certain spots.

N4UM Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2016 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Limited Power handling  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the antenna for about a week. It's mounted at 20 feet and fed thru about 100 feet of coax which serves as the counterpoise. I have a choke for common mode current in the shack. SWR, as measured at the transformer, on 40, 20 and 15 is fine and higher but still tolerable on 10 meters. On 40 meter CW the SWR starts to climb if I run more than about 300 watts while making long CW transmissions. I'm able to make similar transmissions while running 400 watts without noticing this problem on 20, 15 and 10 meters. It appears that the matching transformer may be heating up on 40 meters at the higher power levels. The antenna is rated at 1 KW ICAS but doesn't seem to live up to this rating on lengthy 40 meter CW transmissions which have a heavier duty cycle than SSB. I cannot comment on how the transformer behaves on SSB.

The literature that comes with the antenna notes: "Adjust your power to style of operation, make sure that transmit period is followed by same or longer period on receive in order to meet ICAS power rating."

Aside from the power issue, the antenna certainly works well enough. I've made numerous A/B comparisons on the Reverse Beacon Network with my ground mounted Hustler 6-BTV employing 50 20-foot radials. The end fed dipole results in stronger reports than the Hustler about half the time. The Hustler gets better reports about a quarter of the time - most often on distant DX - and both antennas produce similar reports about a quarter of the time.

I've often found it desirable to have more than one antenna along with the capability of rapidly switching back and forth between them to take advantage of whichever antenna seems to be performing better at the time. The addition of the EFHW-4010 4 band end fed dipole enables me to do just that.

K0UNX Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2016 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected to replace individual dipoles for these bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a single, multi-band dipole, but didn't have a way of mounting a traditional dipole at this location. An End Fed dipole only requires two attachment points, and was the way to go for me. After install, I found the SWR to be commensurate with the values advertised by the manufacturer. The antenna exhibited low SWR on 40, 20, 15 & 10 Metres, and was easily tuned with the internal tuner in my Flex 6500.

INITIALLY, reception was TERRIBLE on all bands, with horrific noise. I sent e-mail to the manufacturer, including screenshots of the noise from my panadapter and waterfall. The manufacturer [correctly] diagnosed my problem as CMC [Common Mode Current] on the feed line, and suggested adding a Common Mode Choke. He recommended this choke: http://myantennas.com/wp/product/cmc-330-1k/ . I ordered it, and two days later it arrived. The choke COMPLETELY solved my noise problem, and this antenna now is a solid performer. Having a single 4-band antenna allows me to have four slices open on my Flex 6500 at one time. I couldn't be happier with the result!