Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | YouKits EK-1A Help

Reviews Summary for YouKits EK-1A
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $149
Description: 40/20 meter 5 watt CW transceiver. Kit form.
More info: http://vibroplex.com

You can write your own review of the YouKits EK-1A.

VK2DMH Rating: 4/5 Sep 22, 2017 03:26 Send this review to a friend
Nice but battery pack won't fit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Cute little QRP field radio from Youkits. It's ideal for portable ops like hiking and SOTA, especially since it does both CW and SSB voice on the 7 MHz 40m band.

Yimin sells the rig as a factory-built radio now, not as a kit. I would have given it 5 out of 5 if Youkits (3x 18650 cell) 12v Lithium battery pack had actually fitted inside. I had paid for three new 12v battery packs to be sent from the factory in China to me in Australia together with my new EK-1A rig. The parcel landed in Australia but was "bounced" back to Shanghai because the postal service refused to transport the lithium batteries. I eventually received my radio about a month later but no battery pack. (Yimin refunded me but I cannot buy those packs anywhere else.)

I already own two Youkits 12v battery packs for other equipment so I tried fitting one of the packs into the new EK-1A radio. The internal power connector is on the circuit board but there are about 5 or 6 electrolytic capacitors standing up vertically on the circuit board, and their height stops case from closing when the battery pack is inside! So I still have to carry a battery pack separately with my nice new radio. Sigh.

Incidentally, Youkits has since stopped offering the battery packs for sale. If they just redid the radio with a 3-cell holder for the 18650 cells, then I could use locally-bought 18650 lithium cells, no problem. I own a suitable charger.

Instructions are minimal, and like other Youkits QRP radios you can use either an iambic paddle or a straight key to send morse. If you opt for the straight key, you need to short the centre and the ring connectors on the 3.5mm (1/8th inch) 3-conductor plug. The radio then senses this when you power it up. It is quite a bit smaller and lighter than my FT-817, so I expect to carry it with me more often.

N3KCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2016 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice fun little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is just a fun little radio. Compact, great tx/rx and an easy build. I'm not a kit builder by any means, but a 2 year old could put it together. Only issue I had was getting to solder to stick to the display leads - easy work around. If someone is looking for a three band radio that has a digital display and vfo knob, for 150.00 this is it.

W3FIS Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2016 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Great value, easy to build/use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought kit from Vibroplex. Other vendors are available. Instructions a bit thin. Resistor and a couple of screws missing, but had them on hand. Build time about 4 hours, including testing. Excellent radio, lots of contacts. Solid 5 watts out. Probably not for first time builder -- instructions sparse, but photos show the important things. Board is a little tight to work on, but soldered easily. Has DDS and memories, quite stable.