Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-3200DR Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-3200DR
Yaesu FTM-3200DR Reviews: 30 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $180
Description: The FTM-3200DR is a ruggedly built yet compact C4FM/FM VHF mobile transceiver, providing high output power of up to 65 Watts to ensure stable long-distance communications. One of the distinguishing features of this exciting new mobile transceiver is the Front Panel Speaker delivering 3 Watts of loud and crystal clear audio; designed for stress-free and enjoyable communications - even in noisy environments.

While the new FTM-3200DR is a solid and durable transceiver in keeping with Yaesu’s legendary mechanical toughness, it also incorporates new technology such as Automatic Mode Select (AMS), one of the most advanced features of System Fusion. The AMS mode instantly recognizes whether a transmission is digital or analog, and appropriately switches the operating mode to allow flawless co-existence of both digital and analog users. The versatile FTM-3200DR transceiver also utilizes the ever-popular Digital Group Monitor (GM) function; a terrific asset allowing users to see at a glance if registered members of a group are within communication range.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=1C299659CDFD4B56DDBBA4BA23026510&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-3200DR.

K4FIL Rating: 1/5 Jul 6, 2017 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Poor analog mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two radios bought (6-17) in our club have gone back to Yaesu for capacitor mods,I have sent dozens of emails ( with videos) to yaesu,to several different tech/help people with NO progress. The radio operates great digital however analog mobile is poor , audio clips while moving , stop moving and 1 bar receive is %100 copy, use as a base and all is well, unfortunately I operate 95% mobile. At some point Yaesu emails should say : Houstan we have a problem

KI5DR Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2017 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Decent audio, solid firmware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio as an entry-level radio for C4FM. As such, this radio knocks it out of the park. Simple features, plenty of TX power, excellent audio reports, and easy-to-understand programming (within limits) makes this a good radio to get someone into C4FM digital without breaking the bank. Front-firing speaker.

Room to improve?
- Front-end filtering. The receiver does suffer from Intermod.
- The FAN. I completely understand a heatsink fan kicking on after talking on high-power for a while. However, why this fan cycles on-and-off constantly while the radio sits on the bench, idle, in an air-conditioned room, on RX - is baffling. ??
Overall - Good solid digital entry-level radio. Worth it!

VK5MYK Rating: 1/5 Apr 28, 2017 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor image rejection  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
YAESU FTM-3200DR (USA version)
I have had this transceiver for 6 months now and contacted the retailer about the POOR image rejection, I had to purchase a cavity filter to try block the pagers. This helped a little bit, but did not stop it. I had to return it to the retailer for a change over. (AUS version)

K7CTC Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2017 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu, please update the firmware to fix the fan issue.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What would otherwise be a straightforward 5 star review has been downgraded to a 3 for one simple reason... The fan. Like many others have previously stated, it cycles on/off at room temperature on receive and is not particularly quiet either. One would assume this could be easily fixed by adjusting the parameters by which the fan cycles in a future firmware update.

I really hope Yaesu monitors product reviews and will respond with a software fix for the fan problem sometime in the not to distant future.

Otherwise it's a solid, easy to use, great for the price digital/analog 2m rig. Since I intend on using it as a base, the fan noise is really a killer for me and I will be shelving it in favor of my FT-2900R which lacks a fan altogether.

Should this issue be resolved I will update my review to 5 stars.

NL7W Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2017 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Not a Fan of the Fan Either!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Agree with N1TI, KD8UXB and many others. The fan is OBNOXIOUS!

If one plans on operating this rig as a base station in a quiet room, please be ready for a loud and cyclic fan while it operates at room temperature.

It is my hope firmware is introduced to up the fan’s quiescent operating temperature by at least 10 degrees F.

Other than this, it operates okay.

Summary: I cannot give it more than a 3-star rating.

Good grief!

AF5IU Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2017 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 2 meter radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 3200 came in yesterday. I hit a Fusion repeater in Brenham which is 57 miles from me. Other than a couple of drop outs the digital audio quality was superb. I have to say that I am very impressed with this radio. I also had an analog conversation that was also great quality. For the price I paid I have to say that I want another one. My FT-2900 is also a great radio but it was made in China. The 3200 was made in Japan. The radio is high quality and very impressive. I do not know what others are talking about when they mention the fan. This radio is so quiet that you can hardly even hear the fan.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2017 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good intro to System Fusion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My local club recently installed a System Fusion repeater in place of a 2M analog FM only unit. One of the club's members is providing network connectivity through his node station and everything appears to be working very well. As the club's repeater trustee I wanted to get a radio to be able give this new digital mode a try as well as be able to monitor the activity as I should. I bought a 3200DR to accomplish these goals and it performs that job as a base station just fine. As a basic dual mode 2M radio it works well. I especially like the AMS feature which follows the repeater as it goes back and forth between analog and digital modes perfectly. There are a couple things that would improve this radio a bit without adding to its cost. One would be to reduce the default mic gain slightly. The mid-range setting of 5 appears to be too high for everyone in our club that has one of these radios. Each of us have had to reduce this menu setting to 2 or 3. Second, since both the FTM-100 and FTM-400 series radios can give distance and headings on their displays, it would be nice to be able to enter your coordinates on as a menu item if you are going to use the 3200DR as a base station. Lastly, the fan has been mentioned previously, and I agree that it is pretty odd to have iit cycle on and off constantly the way that it does with minimal use. All in all, this is a nice, inexpensive rig to get your feet wet in the use of System Fusion digital operation.

KD8UXB Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2017 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio - terrible fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to use as a base radio but am switching it to my mobile and bringing my Icom in instead. The radio was not an issue to set up, programming was no more difficult than any other radio. I especially like the extended receive as I appreciate having the local sheriff frequency set but wasn't interested in getting a dedicated scanner. But the fan, oh the fan. First, it is noisy. No problem I figured, I threw a resistor in and that quieted it down slightly. The real problem with it is the programming. It is set to turn on at 80 degrees and off below it. There is zero extra programming such as a minimum on time, rather in a room that is 68 degrees it turns on and off every few seconds when just scanning the channels. I tried to solve this by taping over one of the vents which helped slightly to keep it on longer at a time, but the problem persisted. A droning noise is easy to ignore and if this fan had been designed to run constantly it would have been fine, but to constantly hear it speed up and down is unacceptable for a relatively quiet room. That said it should be fine mobile and I plan to keep it and move it to there.

W7NUK Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic! Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio. With the loud front firing speaker which was one of the main decisions on this for me is awesome. You crank it up and it will hurt your ears before distortion. It boasts a beefy 65 watts when needed but 5 watts when high power isn't needed. The radio isn't too hard to manually program. Once you go through a few times you get the hang of it. The manual is not very good for explaining things. They really could have improved it.

On the audio quality I got lucky. My install didn't have any alternator whine and reception is great. I love being able to get the noaa weather alerts and weather which is a single key press. And on digital it's awesome! It sounds like they are there with you. It's a touch robotic but I'm guessing it's like that on most digital modes. This is my only radio outside a couple baofeng handhelds. I like how you can flip between analog and digital with one key press so those without digital aren't left in the dark.

Conclusion: This radio is fantastic. I highly recommend it as it's cheap yet very capable. I don't like it's a mono band but as 2m is mostly used around Laramie and the hills it's not much of a loss. I haven't even used 70cm here yet. Nor heard anyone. It's a tough radio and so far I'm believing it will hold up to my dirt roads and rough treatment. I would buy another as a base station! And I believe you will love it too. I don't regret anything about it! I'm glad I went for this over a cheap Chinese rig.

KF7NN Rating: 2/5 Nov 29, 2016 20:55 Send this review to a friend
not good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
got this for a decent price, i should have known. the squelch system in a mobile makes it impossible to operate when the signal flutters a little. the squelch chops off the audio every time the signal drops just a little like when your moving. i think i am going to return it its useless to me in my car unless you set the squelch at 0 which allows white noise continuously .