Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-3200DR Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-3200DR
Yaesu FTM-3200DR Reviews: 32 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $180
Description: The FTM-3200DR is a ruggedly built yet compact C4FM/FM VHF mobile transceiver, providing high output power of up to 65 Watts to ensure stable long-distance communications. One of the distinguishing features of this exciting new mobile transceiver is the Front Panel Speaker delivering 3 Watts of loud and crystal clear audio; designed for stress-free and enjoyable communications - even in noisy environments.

While the new FTM-3200DR is a solid and durable transceiver in keeping with Yaesu’s legendary mechanical toughness, it also incorporates new technology such as Automatic Mode Select (AMS), one of the most advanced features of System Fusion. The AMS mode instantly recognizes whether a transmission is digital or analog, and appropriately switches the operating mode to allow flawless co-existence of both digital and analog users. The versatile FTM-3200DR transceiver also utilizes the ever-popular Digital Group Monitor (GM) function; a terrific asset allowing users to see at a glance if registered members of a group are within communication range.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=1C299659CDFD4B56DDBBA4BA23026510&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-3200DR.

N4MU Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2018 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Latest Version has Nasty Secret Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall I am satisfied with the radio. All performance so far is as expected and no gripes there. With the latest (current at this time) firmware however Yaesu has added digital group monitoring, something I have absolutely no use for. I can completely understand its' use in emergency/group use but for everyday casual use it is completely unnecessary. The real kicker is that this "improvement" "steals" two of the four programmable mic buttons, leaving me with only two to use. There are no options...they took away two of the four to make the group access "easier" as they say. Why the "3" and not "4" then? Well, I admit 3 might be a tad low but a 4 I feel is too high considering the unexpected loss of very useful features that are on earlier models. Impossible to live with? Of course not but they should have added features without taking away any to do so...made the buttons for group access optional, leaving me to program them as I need. Very disappointed in their lack of foresight...and this coming from one who has and likes other Yaesu gear!

KM4HIB Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2018 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Solid mobile or base  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using as a fixed base station with Diamond X50 antenna.

Firmware: CPU version 2.01 DSP 4.15
Overall I am very happy with the radio. I might even buy more for other needs I have. It was a tough decision vs the newly updated 2980R but I think this radio trumps the 2980R with c4fm and still having 65W of power in a more modern radio while nearly matching it in cooling and powerful sound.

Here are pros and cons I have noticed while owning it.

Pro
- solid construction
- High quality SUNON brand cooling fan mounted externally on rear center
-clear screen adjustable for brightness and contrast
- my radio does not run the fan at all until it gets pretty warm from TX. Appears to be a simple thermostat type operation based on internal temp which the radio can tell you via a setup screen
- Wide receive for single band, covers commercial, public safety, railroad in my area
- simple programming
- loud front speaker
- better quality bracket and wire kit than previous yaesu mobiles I've bought
- 3yr warranty
- Pairs very well with FTM-3207D 70cm radio

Con
- dislike the power indicator on screen, reads low/low/nothing when power setting is low/mid/high
- volume knob is sensitive big change for little movement
- radio makes a single audible pulse noise through speaker when it comes out of squelch on a received signal even when volume is all the way down. Would never notice in intended mobile use
-OK but not noteworthy mic. typical MH48
- no 6 pin din for easy line-in and PTT for potential repeater use or PC based digital modes
(May be able to make a 6pin RJ12 connector to replace mic for these purposes, don't know yet.
I would really like to be able to cross band repeat this radio with the FTM-3207 sitting right next to it.)

For C4FM System Fusion digital
It works well but I would like to set a fixed GPS coordinate for it to inter-op with GPS equipped mobiles for range finding such as my FTM-400DR in truck. I know my VX8DR HT can take a fixed coordinate for APRS and I believe my FT-1DR system fusion HT can do this too. I do not think my 3200 can truly TX/RX voice wide mode. It can not right now, but I have not updated the software yet. Everything else about the C4FM is squared away.

K4FIL Rating: 1/5 Jul 6, 2017 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Poor analog mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Two radios bought (6-17) in our club have gone back to Yaesu for capacitor mods,I have sent dozens of emails ( with videos) to yaesu,to several different tech/help people with NO progress. The radio operates great digital however analog mobile is poor , audio clips while moving , stop moving and 1 bar receive is %100 copy, use as a base and all is well, unfortunately I operate 95% mobile. At some point Yaesu emails should say : Houstan we have a problem

KI5DR Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2017 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Decent audio, solid firmware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio as an entry-level radio for C4FM. As such, this radio knocks it out of the park. Simple features, plenty of TX power, excellent audio reports, and easy-to-understand programming (within limits) makes this a good radio to get someone into C4FM digital without breaking the bank. Front-firing speaker.

Room to improve?
- Front-end filtering. The receiver does suffer from Intermod.
- The FAN. I completely understand a heatsink fan kicking on after talking on high-power for a while. However, why this fan cycles on-and-off constantly while the radio sits on the bench, idle, in an air-conditioned room, on RX - is baffling. ??
Overall - Good solid digital entry-level radio. Worth it!

VK5MYK Rating: 1/5 Apr 28, 2017 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor image rejection  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
YAESU FTM-3200DR (USA version)
I have had this transceiver for 6 months now and contacted the retailer about the POOR image rejection, I had to purchase a cavity filter to try block the pagers. This helped a little bit, but did not stop it. I had to return it to the retailer for a change over. (AUS version)

K7CTC Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2017 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu, please update the firmware to fix the fan issue.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What would otherwise be a straightforward 5 star review has been downgraded to a 3 for one simple reason... The fan. Like many others have previously stated, it cycles on/off at room temperature on receive and is not particularly quiet either. One would assume this could be easily fixed by adjusting the parameters by which the fan cycles in a future firmware update.

I really hope Yaesu monitors product reviews and will respond with a software fix for the fan problem sometime in the not to distant future.

Otherwise it's a solid, easy to use, great for the price digital/analog 2m rig. Since I intend on using it as a base, the fan noise is really a killer for me and I will be shelving it in favor of my FT-2900R which lacks a fan altogether.

Should this issue be resolved I will update my review to 5 stars.

NL7W Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2017 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Not a Fan of the Fan Either!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Agree with N1TI, KD8UXB and many others. The fan is OBNOXIOUS!

If one plans on operating this rig as a base station in a quiet room, please be ready for a loud and cyclic fan while it operates at room temperature.

It is my hope firmware is introduced to up the fan’s quiescent operating temperature by at least 10 degrees F.

Other than this, it operates okay.

Summary: I cannot give it more than a 3-star rating.

Good grief!

AF5IU Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2017 01:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 2 meter radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 3200 came in yesterday. I hit a Fusion repeater in Brenham which is 57 miles from me. Other than a couple of drop outs the digital audio quality was superb. I have to say that I am very impressed with this radio. I also had an analog conversation that was also great quality. For the price I paid I have to say that I want another one. My FT-2900 is also a great radio but it was made in China. The 3200 was made in Japan. The radio is high quality and very impressive. I do not know what others are talking about when they mention the fan. This radio is so quiet that you can hardly even hear the fan.

KK9H Rating: 4/5 Jan 17, 2017 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Good intro to System Fusion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My local club recently installed a System Fusion repeater in place of a 2M analog FM only unit. One of the club's members is providing network connectivity through his node station and everything appears to be working very well. As the club's repeater trustee I wanted to get a radio to be able give this new digital mode a try as well as be able to monitor the activity as I should. I bought a 3200DR to accomplish these goals and it performs that job as a base station just fine. As a basic dual mode 2M radio it works well. I especially like the AMS feature which follows the repeater as it goes back and forth between analog and digital modes perfectly. There are a couple things that would improve this radio a bit without adding to its cost. One would be to reduce the default mic gain slightly. The mid-range setting of 5 appears to be too high for everyone in our club that has one of these radios. Each of us have had to reduce this menu setting to 2 or 3. Second, since both the FTM-100 and FTM-400 series radios can give distance and headings on their displays, it would be nice to be able to enter your coordinates on as a menu item if you are going to use the 3200DR as a base station. Lastly, the fan has been mentioned previously, and I agree that it is pretty odd to have iit cycle on and off constantly the way that it does with minimal use. All in all, this is a nice, inexpensive rig to get your feet wet in the use of System Fusion digital operation.

KD8UXB Rating: 3/5 Jan 16, 2017 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Decent radio - terrible fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this to use as a base radio but am switching it to my mobile and bringing my Icom in instead. The radio was not an issue to set up, programming was no more difficult than any other radio. I especially like the extended receive as I appreciate having the local sheriff frequency set but wasn't interested in getting a dedicated scanner. But the fan, oh the fan. First, it is noisy. No problem I figured, I threw a resistor in and that quieted it down slightly. The real problem with it is the programming. It is set to turn on at 80 degrees and off below it. There is zero extra programming such as a minimum on time, rather in a room that is 68 degrees it turns on and off every few seconds when just scanning the channels. I tried to solve this by taping over one of the vents which helped slightly to keep it on longer at a time, but the problem persisted. A droning noise is easy to ignore and if this fan had been designed to run constantly it would have been fine, but to constantly hear it speed up and down is unacceptable for a relatively quiet room. That said it should be fine mobile and I plan to keep it and move it to there.