Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FTM-3200DR Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTM-3200DR
Yaesu FTM-3200DR Reviews: 30 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $180
Description: The FTM-3200DR is a ruggedly built yet compact C4FM/FM VHF mobile transceiver, providing high output power of up to 65 Watts to ensure stable long-distance communications. One of the distinguishing features of this exciting new mobile transceiver is the Front Panel Speaker delivering 3 Watts of loud and crystal clear audio; designed for stress-free and enjoyable communications - even in noisy environments.

While the new FTM-3200DR is a solid and durable transceiver in keeping with Yaesu’s legendary mechanical toughness, it also incorporates new technology such as Automatic Mode Select (AMS), one of the most advanced features of System Fusion. The AMS mode instantly recognizes whether a transmission is digital or analog, and appropriately switches the operating mode to allow flawless co-existence of both digital and analog users. The versatile FTM-3200DR transceiver also utilizes the ever-popular Digital Group Monitor (GM) function; a terrific asset allowing users to see at a glance if registered members of a group are within communication range.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=249&encProdID=1C299659CDFD4B56DDBBA4BA23026510&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTM-3200DR.

K2MOB Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2016 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Good radio but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I join the crew complaining about the squelch level at the lowest setting of 1. Simplex and weaker repeater signals don't break squelch and I sure don't like driving around with the squelch off. Otherwise this is a solid transceiver and easy to program.

KD4AIQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2016 08:38 Send this review to a friend
great with one issue  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We have two of them mobile. My only issue is that a squelch setting of 1 prevents the reception of many strong simplex signals. So I have to turn the squelch completely off when on simplex. Seems like 1 is about 5-7 on other radios. Otherwise a great radio at a great value with digital extending the range.

KJ3P Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2016 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Solid 2-Meter w/Digital  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A solid, basic 2-meter radio, with C4FM digital, and all works just fine. Full power output as promised. The front-firing speaker is perfect for my particular tight mobile installation, as is the cooling design, which draws cool air from the bottom front and exhausts it out the back, i.e., it doesn't use side or top intakes.

As reported by others, the fan does have an audible repeating on/off cycle after warm-up. For me, this happens during receive only, at 68F room ambient temp. Easy to hear in the shack, can't hear it in the car. Of course, the fan comes on as expected during transmit. And yes, the radio has small clicks with the volume all the way down when activity comes/goes on-channel, but again, not really audible in the car. I still gave it a five, hoping that these two small items can be addressed with a firmware update.

Easy to program manually, but I chose to use G4HFQ's excellent software ( www.g4hfq.co.uk ). Makes programming the channels easier of course, but especially great to see all of the radio's menu settings in one place.

WB5LFV Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2016 07:31 Send this review to a friend
nice radio i like it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
excellent radio the fan is quiet on mine, plus the digital is super easy to use and can be turned off very easy!! I have mine in the truck and I am gonna get one more for the other truck as I own a yeasu ft-991 and wife and I use digital only mode now! much much better way to communicate! this is a very easy to use radio puts out 65 watts and is fan cooled and mine I cant hear the fan at all! the size of this radio is small and dosent take up much space! get one you'll like it!!

VE3EPA Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2016 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased mine in the summer and have it in my shack. I agree with those who have said it is easy to program without the software, but I purchased the RT CD anyway. It's a basic unit that gets the job done without any fanfare, or for me anyway, without any fan noise.

I like the radio because it is simple. Like its cousin the FT-1900, it delivers 'no fuss' operation which is what I want when driving. Ditto as a fixed stn. I have it feeding a Diamond X-50. I have not measured the output power, but audio reports are good. Full quieting out to repeaters approx. 40 mi away. I will hook up my meter one day, but like we used to say, people can hear me, so it must be okay.

The little radio performs exactly as I want. It is easy to use, quiet, easily programmed and delivers solid comms at a good price. I haven't used the digital feature much, but that's because most repeaters around here are analog.

I only thing I would have liked is a larger screen for when I had it running in the truck. That's why it went into the house and the 1900 got reinstalled in the pickup. But that's personal preference.

N1TI Rating: 3/5 Oct 6, 2016 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Not a fan of the fan  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's a basic no frills radio with C4FM. Not much for creature comforts such as memory banks and temporary scan lockouts. The fan is very irregular and annoying. When sitting cool it comes on for a couple of seconds and shuts off. In the car you don't notice it but at home in a quiet environment it kind of drives you batty. Hopefully it gets fixed in a future firmware release or with a mod to keep it on full time.

K2HAT Rating: 2/5 Sep 25, 2016 07:33 Send this review to a friend
not impressed :(   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
With the radio on RX Only

The fan is driving me nuts, it comes on for 1 second and off for 2-3 seconds the radio is arms length away as the mic cord is not very long, and so I can reach to controls. My FT-7900 fan is much much quieter. The radio even with the volume all the way down on a busy frequency makes this horrid clicking noise as folks key up or unkey.
Yes the Fusion works.

W5GIF Rating: 3/5 Sep 11, 2016 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Low power:(  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio about 3 weeks, everything is ok BUT the power is very low.
3 WATTS on low, 15 on Med., 35 WATTS on high!?
Lucky for me I have an AMP to make up for the low power but it should do what is's advertised to do.

K4YRK Rating: 0/5 Sep 10, 2016 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Dead after 10 minutes use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the radio setup with call and programmed 10 repeaters including fusion repeater. Put unit on scan and it froze up after a few minutes and would not respond. Reset radio and it would not program. It appears the processor is dead and will not even reset.

Sending back to HRO for refund.

Another local ham got one also and it was dead out of the box. Beware of this radio.

K0LEF Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2016 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased 7/20/16. Easy to program manually. I didn't need the software because it's my home base unit, so only a couple dozen repeaters in the area. Good solid construction. Nice fit and finish.