Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron Clipperton QRO Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron Clipperton QRO
Dentron Clipperton QRO Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 160m-10m 1300W Linear Amp

You can write your own review of the Dentron Clipperton QRO.

W8JX Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2010 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Great amp for money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used about 17 years ago and I re-tubed it with Chinese tubes 15 years ago as original tubes were soft when from abuse when I got it and it would not make more than 800 watts on any band even with over 100 watts of drive before I re-tubed it. Now it will still make 1300 watts out with 70 watts of drive on 40m were I operate mostly and will exceed legal limit with 100 watts of drive. Typically I run amp at about 900 watts out with 50 watts of drive and amp handles this with ease even for hours at a time. Even 500 to 600 watts RTTY or SSTV is not a problem for this old amp. One mod I did do to it was change the way amp cools. From factory it would blow air in over finals and then up into tank circuit and capacitors and front panel area where it was trapped and heated up amp a lot. First took off top cover and found out that I could rotate it 180 degrees (placing vent holes in it up front) that 4 of the 6 screw holes would still line up. Next I removed fan and reversed mounting so it now pulls air out of amp by draw air in thru front vents in top and side and bottom vents and then over tubes and out back. Amp now runs cool to touch up front and just a little warm over finals and exhaust air is never really hot either. Should have been built this way to begin. I do plan to replace filter caps, diodes and bleeder resistors in near future even though they are working fine now as amp is getting old. You can spend try the money on a new 811 amp and not get even half the value or power of this amp and it is a very easy tuner too. (I tune it for about 7170 and go from 7125 to 7210 or so and never retune and get consistent output) It is not fussy at all. I plan to pick up another one for a spare when I find a nice one. If not pushed too hard 572B's will last many years (and are far stronger than 811a's)and are fairly cheap and easy to find. One more thing, make no mistake this is a 230 volt amp. While it is possible to run it on 115, performance, efficiency and output will suffer. When I got amp it was wired for 115 and I switched it to 230 before I even powered it up at home first time.

KA4CTD Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2009 03:14 Send this review to a friend
Can't Be Beat In Any Mode  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my Dentron QRO in July of 1984 Brand new from Long's Electronics, in Birmingham, AL. It has fewer than 100 hours on it, due to my previous work schedule. I have turned it on to keep it running correctly, not just sitting, but it is a new amp for all practical purposes. The sked i kept for about a year with a friend who lives about 300 miles away, always said "That Big Signal From Phenix City, AL, will open up the freq. for us." I love my amp, and it works as good today as the day I got it. It has its own 250V line and breaker; which every amp should have. I performed the 10 meter mod. a few days after the amp arrived; I had it shipped to GA to avoid sales tax. a kindergartner could've performed this mod. and it works great on all freq. bet.1.5-30 MC. If anyone needs a copy of the manual, which was just about 15 pages of standard printer paper stapled together, just let me know. This inc. the 10 Meter mod.
You can't go wrong with this amp.

73s Andy C. KA4CTD (atigercav@gmail.com)

NC9K Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2004 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Very versatile amp.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was looking for a compact linear amp to run 375 watt AM carrier on 160 to 10M. I had a chance to update the bias circuit in a FL2100B. The 572B's in that amp put out an impressive 600 watts before gain compression set in. The tubes did not turn red even after 1 min. keydown.

So I started searching for a 160m to 10M amp with tuned input running four 572B's. The Dentron QRO was it. I picked one up and put it to task. It puts out better than 1400 watts PEP before gain compression when driven with the Atlas 350XL I reworked.

The QRO has been a blast on 160M when driven by the 350XL for SSB or an Icom 706MKIIG for 375 watts AM carrier. The tubes do not turn red.

And new a new matched quad of graphite anode tubes with Cetron design are only $160 from a regular ebay seller. Talk about cheap to freshen up if ever needed. And the QRO power transformer has about 30% more mass than the transformer in my SB-220 has.

The QRO has been so easy to operate and so much fun I just bought a second one to replace the SB-220 with.

JefferyHaughtExK4QX Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2002 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Dentron Clipperton QRO is essentially the same as the Clipperton L but with a tuned input.
I purchased this amp over 20 years ago and it's four Cetron 572B's still produce 1200 Watts PEP. It's cooling fan is 1 speed and hence a little noisy. Consistent powerful blowers will make a little noise. It's keep the tubes cool and suits me fine. This amp was a demo bought from a dealer and came with the 10 meter mod. It's interesting to note it works fine on 110 Volts as long as you use a number 10 dedicated line and outlet. Otherwise it can easily be rewired to work on 220 Volts. It's simple and easy to use. The manual says the tubes need only a 3 second warm up. I recommend 5 minutes. Although I have used it in a hurry on a very short warm up to work a rare new country. As for the tubes the Cetron is a work horse 572B. If I were to replace them I'd buy Taylor 572B's. Taylor tubes will outlast a Svetlana as they simply have more metal in them and are quality made to last. The price on this amp was $ 610. In today's used market you still see the amps fetching $ 400. They're worth it as its been all the amp I'll ever need. It's a shame Dentron went out of business. If I were to need a power transformer I'd be hard pressed to find one. Still over 20 years of service says it all. I've got my money's worth and then some. For a cost effective near legal limit amp it's a tough act to follow. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used unit from a good source. You may replace the tubes in time but everything else should hold up well. I give it a thumbs up for durability and a 5 overall rating for an amp in the near legal limit class.