Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola SL-1600 Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola SL-1600
Motorola SL-1600 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300.00
Description: 70cm handheld Radio (DMR/FM)
More info: http://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_xu/products/mototrbo/sl1600.html#tabproductinfo

You can write your own review of the Motorola SL-1600.

W2MB Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
SL300 in USA Market  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own and use the SL300 which is the US version of this device. It's RF performance is great on both Analog and DMR. Although it requires Motorola's CP$ to program, the programming cable is a low cost, generic USB to mini USB cable. The display is visually appealing, but limited in what info it displays. Audio output is very good. All considered, a lot of bang for the buck from Motorola...

HB9DUQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2016 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before I bought this unit, I was already in possession of a Hytera PD-785G, which is a nice Radio too. However for portable use (hiking and biking) I wanted something smaller and finally found the SL-1600, which has been in use by several other ham fellows, already.

The operation of the unit is very simple. However, for the proper programming you need to take your time and spend one or two hour. The SL-1600 looks like one of those low price PMR, but itsí not. Iíd rather call it a wolf in sheep's clothing. The shatterproof active view display uses a matrix of LEDs behind the radio housing to communicate radio information and shuts off when not in use to conserve battery life. I love this kind of display and so does everyone else who looks at it. It's just impressive and fun and of course also readable when exposed to sunlight. The Radio is also very rugged an IP54 rated. I dropped it twice to the ground without any harm. Modulation sounds very clear and can be adjusted like x- other parameters. The small loudspeaker sounds better and louder than many bigger ones Iíve heard in the past. The Range Max Antenna works very well too. Although the antenna is less than 5cm tall, it works better than my other portable antennas. I made several comparisons with my VX5/VX8/Ic-91. A repeater 50km away, could easely be opened from the inside of my office with the SL-1600 but with none of the others. However, donít try to replace the original Motorola Antenna with another one to get even better results. It wont work, since the rubber antenna is only one part of the antenna system. The other part is inside the Radio. Another great thing is the low voltage the Radio is powered with. The rechargeable battery works at 3.7 Volts and can be charged with a regular USB mini Cable. A great advantage is also, that it can be recharged with one of those regular cellphone/ipad powerbanks.

To come to an end: I never was one of the hams who constantly run around with a handheld radio. Since I own the SL-1600 Iíve changed my mind, however. This tiny little radio made me somehow addicted and when ever taking a walk, a hike or a biketour, the SL-1600 is in my pocket. I have a whole bunch of Radios, but this one has definitely become my favorite one.

Tom, HB9DUQ