Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 273 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

K0UA Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2018 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 7300 is a great radio, and the best value/performance radio on the market today.

A couple of previous reviews need to be "reviewed".
1: yes there is a screen saver. If you don't touch the radio for a period of time, the screen goes dark and the power lamp flashes. This is normal operation by design. Move the volume control or the VFO or about any knob to restore the screen. THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION not a defect.

2: The transmit audio monitor is a function to allow you to listen to your transmitted audio. Yes it does not go off during transmit. How would that be of any value if it didn't work while you transmit. Yes you will experience audio feedback and squeal when you transmit if you don't listen to your transmitted audio with headphones on and the sound comes out of the speaker. What did you expect?, Why would you attempt to listen to it out of the speaker and let that sound feedback into your microphone? Of course if you are feeding audio from a digital program you can listen to the audio on the speaker without feedback as there is no way for the audio to get back into the computer generating the audio tones. THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION and is NOT a defect in any way. If you turn off the transmit monitor it will go off. If you turn it on it will go on. This is normal operation.

I would gently suggest that all users of this great radio read the manual from cover to cover, several times. The best place to put the manual is in the bathroom near the throne so that it will be handy for extended reading sessions. :)

G0UOO Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2018 07:31 Send this review to a friend
One year Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 7300 for just over a year now, and I cannot find anything to complain about at all. There are maybe one or two slight ergonomic issues, but that's purely personal. Performance-wise I remain convinced that, for the money, there is no competition.

The previous review concerns me a little. The monitor function does not switch off automatically on TX. You have it either on or off. To turn it off simply press the "Multi" control and select monitor off.

KI7SJC Rating: 2/5 Apr 24, 2018 20:02 Send this review to a friend
SECOND FAILURE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Audio monitor does not switch off at transmit resulting in feedback and audio oscillation.
So I cannot use the speaker--have to use the headset.
Turning the monitor off makes it work. Another trip back to ICOM after the one of the 2 power MOSFETS failed.
SAD. Nice radio if it would stop failing.
gil

9Q6BB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2018 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Extreeeemely pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have already put quite a few tens of thousands of QSOs on my IC7300, and I am as pleased with it as the first day. It is so easy to operate, and the receiver is so nice. I operate mostly on CW, and I really love the flexibility of the filtering. I have it connected to an Expert 1.3K amp, with which it interacts flawlessly. When I am not using headphones I listen to it through its matching external speaker, which in my opinion makes a huge, positive difference (and looks very cool too). Fantastic transceiver, and definitely a lot of radio for the money...

Fernando
9Q6BB

K6LEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2018 21:09 Send this review to a friend
So much to like  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Itís only been 2-weeks since I acquired a new Icom IC-7300 transceiver. This little radio is not considered ďtop of the lineĒ or a ďfierce competitorĒ in the ham radio marketplace. In fact, in many articles, it is considered an ďentry levelĒ radio!

Well, Iím definitely NOT an entry level operator. I have been in this hobby for 58 years now, and was only 12 years old when I received my novice license. Now at 72 years of age and retired, I still find great interest in this hobby, especially CW. The many radios I have had over the years have allowed me to meet new people, and the excitement of having my energy travel all over the world without wires, repeaters, or other encumbrances continues to fascinate me.

So I got caught up in the high-end radio race. But I have since realized that I donít really require all that equipment to do what I enjoy. Since I donít contest or join pile-up's, and I am not a certificate chaser, I just look forward to making satisfying QSOís, both local and DX.

Enter the IC-7300! It sits in my shack right in front of me with itís beautiful, enticing screen. It is relatively small (not small like my KX2), but easy to turn on, listen to and operate, and the touch screen to provide most of the quick inputs I need. The receiver is quiet, easy to modify filters, and just the right amount of inputs and outputs for me. IT IS FUN TO USE!!!

I guess itís because I love its simplicity and user-friendly capabilities in such a compact package, I keep it on even when Iím doing other things on my desk. I am smitten!

For now, I think I may have met my ideal radio match. It is Fun, Easy, and Capable. Getting older does have a few advantages, like learning what feels right and not having my ego determine what is really important to me. This rig may not be for everyone, as we all have our interests and requirements, which makes this hobby so great. But I am definitely impressed! Great job Icom.

KI7SJC Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2018 12:05 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO; BUT--  Time owned: months
LOVE THE 7300--BUT:
AUDIO SUSCEPTIBILITY Clean audio using the SM-30 Mic is degraded by RF leakage unless lots of ferros used on every input including mic connect, also needs an RF cap at power input and a hard ground on case.
RF shows up in degrading audio. Flat topping seen on audio scope even though it sounds good on monitor (NOT the same as transmitted audio).

EVENT after 4 months in service: Good audio reports replaced with "terrible distortion" reports when one of the two (push-pull) output transistors failed at its gate. Service tech at ICOM/ Kirkland, WA says
"no known causative factors.

ALSO: Needs a BETTER "S display"; and, the RF Gain control confuses the S readout.
How about a METER WITH A NEEDLE or an equivalent on the display. The current nervous combo display sucks.

RETURNED to ICOM at Kirkland, WA for repair.

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Without hesitation, the best radio deal out today.

G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got a small collection of transceivers demonstrating how designs have progressed over the last 60 years - they have a lot in common (HFO, filters, IF transformers etc etc). The 7300 has very little. However you'd think it's the same but has just got a fancy touch screen - so what my phone has had that for ages. This transceiver is the best package at a very reasonable price - go get one you won't be disappointed and you'll just fall in love with what SDR can do. BTW it's on the front page of the Sherwood listing.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2018 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the $  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update of my feelings for the Icom 7300. I have a LOT of different radios, of every brand and cost, new and vintage.

I recently received my backordered 7610. I re-did my main operating position and have the 7300 and 7610 side-by-side.
While I enjoy using both radios, the 7300 impresses me every time I use it. Maybe it's the simplicity and LACK of knobs.
The rx performance even on 50 MHz is exactly the same as the 7610.
If the radio were larger (I have big paws), I probably would not even have purchased the 7610.

Yes, the 7610 has the external monitor, etc. I use the German FA-AS Automatic Antenna Switch which gets around the 'one antenna issue' with the 7300.

I just did the easy SW update for both radios. Easy, even for an OF like me.

Bottom line? It's one of my favorite toys.

ron
N4UE

VA3DCF Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my ICOM7300 in November, 2017 and am pleased with it. It does everything it should.

PRO:

- A nice bonus is getting signal reports on SSB and comments like "What mic are you using? What audio processor did you buy to sound so good?" Of course it is the stock mic.

- CW filters are great, it is wonderful to adjust as one wants.

- Easy interfacing to computers if you want to.

- You can remote display the rig's spectrum with some DIY python.

CON:

- There are sampling artifacts below 100 KHz, in my case, one smack on WWVB 60 KHz; and DC converter hash below 100 KHz.