Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 258 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2018 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Get one you won't regret it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got a collection of rigs (mostly Yaesu) going back to 1966 all analogue some tube of course (except those later ones with DDS VFO's and AF DSP and IF DSP) but all having up conversion, down conversion, HFO's, If transformers, balanced modulators, product detectors etc etc well bye bye to all that stuff because a self contained SDR transceiver is the way forward - believe me. The 7300 is the first and is the new stake in the ground against which alternatives will be judged. It may soon be surpassed with superior performance and features by a competitor - so what. Its brilliant as it is including the size - and am looking forward to software updates that improve it further. You don't get that on a standard analogue rig.
I am not employed by any business involved in ham radio products or services - I'm a Quality Manager working in a scientific environment

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2018 08:21 Send this review to a friend
k6ajy good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
IT IS A GOOD rig and a great field day radio HEIL PRO 7 good transceiver :73

KF7YRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 17:38 Send this review to a friend
I love the weak signal RX   Time owned: more than 12 months
After ~18 months, I am very happy with my IC-7300. I have (more than a few) other rigs available, but I always use the 7300 for HF... it just feels right. The TX audio is very good and the RX sensitivity / selectivity is superb. Once I learned how to set up the radio for weak stations, I am able to pull in the faintest stations that would never be heard on my Icom-7000 or other rigs. I don't normally write these reviews, but this radio at this price is a steal. The "fun factor" is hard to quantify, but is a big part of the equation. If this one was hit by lightning, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Just sayin...

K3EY Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 12:10 Send this review to a friend
STILL The BEST DEAL Out There  Time owned: more than 12 months
These have to be the quietest receivers I have ever used. I knew the size of the screen when I bought it, no surprise therefore no complaints there. This is an entry level radio, ENTRY. Try finding the kind of performance along with the many different personal settings possible on this ENTRY level radio on any other radio offered at this price. Then you have the fun factor, how can you measure that? If one can find fault with this relatively inexpensive radio, then I doubt anything else would satisfy your unrealistic expectations, even radios costing many thousands.

YO2LEO Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 00:33 Send this review to a friend
ICOM 7300 - It's a big TRX!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a big TRX!
It behaves very well at intermodulation and QRM. It has never been blocked (software) and I have had no problems with it. The receiver is very sensitive and very good and the filters are special. If I could make a comparison - you call crystal reception - as I've ever met, except for electronic tube receivers. Being a SDR - you do not have internal noise like in other TRXs (Kenwood TS2000) where you encounter 4 frequency changes and related noise.
DSP is good. At high signals, you can reduce the RF level so you can work in normal parameters without activating the OVF.
The tuner antenna works up to 3: 1, very fast and tunes to the 1: 1 FD-4 antenna they use.
Pro:
- a good and reliable TRX
-a sensitive, quiet and selective receptor
- All US bands including 5MHZ, 50Mhz, 70Mhz band
- It is quite small size and is also suitable for mobile use
-fun cool!
clear, clear and well modulated (you do not have to speak loud in the microphone)
-to connect directly to your PC via USB without the need for digital interfaces, so the signals are clean and powerful
- easy to handle and a generous display.
- True filters
-a good and fast tuner

Versus:
-lips of the 2 antenna sockets
- the lip of the second receiver
- noise at transmitting relays during CW operation (work resolved by pressing with a special sponge set on the relay)

Conclusion:
If I were to choose another TRX reported price / performance I would choose the whole ICOM 7300.
- the number of copies sold and the points received confirm this. He is highly sought after and sold well on the globe.

Be blessed! 73!

KK8ZZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2018 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned many/most of whatever Icom has produced since about 1978, plus a smattering of Kenwoods and Yaesu rigs. I was most interested -- as you probably were/are too - about the spectrum scope, having played with Flex 3000 and 6300 units.... so... after almost a year of play with the 7300, I can say it is certainly a great "beginner's radio", and would have cost a zillion $$ 20 years ago... but the scope is sadly lacking compared to the Flex units, if you've ever been to Dayton/Orlando Hamfests and seen those monster displays they use in their booth. The Icom's scope is just too small to be of much use.... I'll be delighted to see the 7610 with the external display option and compare apples to apples against the Flex.... if they compare well, I'll go with Icom....

WD1V Rating: 4/5 Jan 4, 2018 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Next Gen  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio sets such a high performance mark at such a low price it makes me smile every time I use it.

But as good as it is, I could imagine it better.

For instance, the Icom 706 MKII has 2 and 440 in it.

The Icom 7100 has 2 and 440 with D-Star. But neither of those have the 7300's scope.

Love to see a "7324D" with 2, 440, and D-Star. That is a Happy New Year new product request.

John - WD1V

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2018 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Bullseye! Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very easy to set up this radio out of the box. Which is hard to find. Easy to set up for digital work with one wire! The Stock microphone sounds really good. I use a Icom SM-8 microphone and a AT2020 microphone. Nobody can tell the difference. My other radio is a Kenwood TS870SAT and the IC7300 is as easy to use as the Kenwood. To sum it up I'am very happy with the Icom! Portable or base you can't go wrong. 73's

N6IJB Rating: 4/5 Jan 3, 2018 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Revolutionary radio, ergonomics need work  Time owned: more than 12 months
On a basic level the 7300 is easy to use and performs well. If you are happy emulating, say, an 80's to 90's Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu, you barely need the instructions. But you are able to go much further with this rig. In fact you can access dozens of features with a 7300 that have never been available on ANY “entry level” transceiver. However, the moment you choose to do so the 7300 can become complex, even frustrating. The unavoidable issue is the radio's cramped ergonomics. Controls are small and often access multi level menus which can be difficult to locate. You’ll want to keep the thick Icom manual close at hand and consider spending time with Youtube videos to learn the fine points.

As other manufacturers emulate the multi use scope and other ground breaking features of this rig the challenge will be to offer the same options in a more user friendly package.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2018 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Love It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry to hear people got defective units but this happens although it's rare. Icom will make it right. Also, The previous review should have been 2 reviews. The radio and software should be reviewed separately.

I've had mine 3 days and absolutely LOVE it. I have only had one other Icom, a 706MKIIG that I did like.
I was a Ten-Tec, Yaesu and Kenwood person for years but I think I've found my retirement radio. The 7300 is the best bang for buck radio in it's class.