Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 274 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

VA3DCF Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my ICOM7300 in November, 2017 and am pleased with it. It does everything it should.

- A nice bonus is getting signal reports on SSB and comments like "What mic are you using? What audio processor did you buy to sound so good?" Of course it is the stock mic.

- CW filters are great, it is wonderful to adjust as one wants.

- Easy interfacing to computers if you want to.

- You can remote display the rig's spectrum with some DIY python.

- There are sampling artifacts below 100 KHz, in my case, one smack on WWVB 60 KHz; and DC converter hash below 100 KHz.
N0FQN Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2018 19:01 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having this rig for 4 months and evaluating it against my other rigs, it's OK. I did a bench test with my HP 8921A service monitor between the 7300 and the 765. They compare equally, no discernible difference. On air the same, even with the DSP and dual band pass of the 7300, they were very, very close. On CW is where the 765 shines over the 7300. The 765 with 250 Hz filter on has a natural sound to the tone. The 7300 set between 1Khz and 50Hz still produces the A/D D/A hollow sound which, for my ears is unpleasant to listen to for any length of time. The 765 actually pulled out weak CW signals the 7300 couldn't, neither used the preamp. Now the surprised even me. What does this tell you? That Icom has been duping us with poor performance, up till now. For many years this has transpired. They finally brought the bar back where it should have been. Look at Sherwood specs for the 765 then look at the 756 series(any of them), 7600 and the 7700. You'll see a major drop in performance over all compared to the 765. What they did was add bling and a scope and the bass bit. Don't get me wrong, I like Icom.
NB9M Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2018 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Raised the bar for other manufacturers!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In 1971, Yaesu released the FT-101 transceiver, and it changed everything. Packing a stable, 100W transceiver with an AC supply into a gorgeous package upped the game. It was the Yaesu FT-101 that contributed to the dissolution of manufacturers like Swan and Galaxy. I believe we are witnessing the same phenomenon today with the Icom IC-7300.

To pack a full sampling SDR receiver into a smallish transceiver with a waterfall and touch screen is innovative enough. But the firmware is AWESOME. The user interface is mature and consistent. There is an overall feeling of quality and consistency that is rarely found in such a new product.

I did a quick comparison between receiver performance to the Flex 3000, and the IC-7300 was superior. The transmit audio, with the supplied stock mic, was described by one contact as sounding warm, rich and colorful.

I have had the privilege of owning hundreds of ham radio equipment, but this is truly one product that stands out. Excellent job, Icom.
WB2NEW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Icom 7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just got a used 7300. Coming from using mostly vintage radios I thought it was going to be quite a jump. I thought this was a good way to get a sample of SDR. Not really crazy about using a computer for my rig ! The radio is truly amazing for it size and price. I did a lot of research on this and the 7610. I had it on the air right away and with in the first hour got the hang of it. Love the touch screen and the rec. I have had excellent audio reports with the stock hand mic. Nothing else to buy. Might go full blown SDR!
KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't get into a long write up, there are already plenty of those.

The price, features, and operating capabilities make this a 5 in my book!

I already have another HF rig but the IC-7300 got me off the couch and back into hf!!!
W4NNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Love it and wasn't sure I would...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a new rig, and being an Icom guy, had narrowed it down to the 7610 and the 7300. I was attracted to the 7610 because, let's face it, it's just so PRETTY. And there was that nice big display. There was also the price, of course, and I finally decided that for me, buying the 7610 would be like buying a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store once a week.

Now that I have the 7300, I'm thrilled with it. I was worried at first...the display, while far better than anything on any of my older rigs, did seem a little small. After a day or two it didn't seem so small, though...and in fact came to seem just about right.

Otherwise? Great receiver with excellent audio. Great reports on transmit audio. Lots of features, but everything pretty user friendly, it seems to me.

Feels like this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship!
WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 10:45 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT ! ! ! !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To me, it's the ultimate rig. Anything I could say would just be a repeat of earlier positive comments.

I want to reply to a comment by KD7SU. He complained that the display, on his 7300, goes blank and the power light blinks. This is NOT an equipment failure. He has the screen saver turned on. It can be turned off, or set to different times before operator inactivity causes the screen to blank. I have mine set for 15 minutes. Moving any control brings the display back on.
AB9TX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Fun Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 6 months of ownership I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in on this portable radio by Icom. Number 1 the operational design is outstanding, fun and easy to use, I will call it groundbreaking as the other big radio manufacturers are scrambling, which in my opinion is a good thing for us. The receiver is super hot, and the 2 preamps are very use able. I find running the first pre-amp and turning down the receiver gain works great. When it gets too noisy, I turn off the preamp.
The receiver gain control is the key with this SDR rig.
The emergency tuner mode can go to 10:1, limiting the power output to 50 watts, but for QRP use it is great with those home brew wire antennas and experimenting, where all other radios except Elecraft have figured out how to build an internal tuner.
The display is small, but very readable. The audio is great, even better with the matching speaker. I have excellent audio reports with the stock mic.
I have this radio on my nightstand where the size is perfect, very enjoyable radio, well done Icom. Thank you.
WA2ZSB Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2018 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several 7300s. No doubt they are a great bargain and I found them extremely fun to operate. However after a short while I sold each of them. The problem is I live in an urban environment with a high noise level and the NR and NB can't cope with it as well as my 590SG. The receiver is great and for the money it is a great introduction into a SDR radio. My friend lives in the country and with a lower noise level has no problems. My advice if you live in the city go for the 590SG, if you're noise level is low either one is great with the fun factor in favor of the 7300.
KE4EVL Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2018 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just wanted to add to the review by saying how pleased I am with this radio. Huge upgrade for me from the IC-718. The menus on the radio seem intuitive to me and I can navigate quickly. The pan adapter is easy for me to ready and I absolutely love the touch screen so I can tune over on the waterfall by touching the screen.

I'd recommend this radio to anyone. I cannot believe the features for the price point. With rebates and etc. I got it for $1,100. Still just thrilled with the purchase!