Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 274 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

K6LEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2018 21:09 Send this review to a friend
So much to like  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Itís only been 2-weeks since I acquired a new Icom IC-7300 transceiver. This little radio is not considered ďtop of the lineĒ or a ďfierce competitorĒ in the ham radio marketplace. In fact, in many articles, it is considered an ďentry levelĒ radio!

Well, Iím definitely NOT an entry level operator. I have been in this hobby for 58 years now, and was only 12 years old when I received my novice license. Now at 72 years of age and retired, I still find great interest in this hobby, especially CW. The many radios I have had over the years have allowed me to meet new people, and the excitement of having my energy travel all over the world without wires, repeaters, or other encumbrances continues to fascinate me.

So I got caught up in the high-end radio race. But I have since realized that I donít really require all that equipment to do what I enjoy. Since I donít contest or join pile-up's, and I am not a certificate chaser, I just look forward to making satisfying QSOís, both local and DX.

Enter the IC-7300! It sits in my shack right in front of me with itís beautiful, enticing screen. It is relatively small (not small like my KX2), but easy to turn on, listen to and operate, and the touch screen to provide most of the quick inputs I need. The receiver is quiet, easy to modify filters, and just the right amount of inputs and outputs for me. IT IS FUN TO USE!!!

I guess itís because I love its simplicity and user-friendly capabilities in such a compact package, I keep it on even when Iím doing other things on my desk. I am smitten!

For now, I think I may have met my ideal radio match. It is Fun, Easy, and Capable. Getting older does have a few advantages, like learning what feels right and not having my ego determine what is really important to me. This rig may not be for everyone, as we all have our interests and requirements, which makes this hobby so great. But I am definitely impressed! Great job Icom.

KI7SJC Rating: 4/5 Apr 11, 2018 12:05 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO; BUT--  Time owned: months
LOVE THE 7300--BUT:
AUDIO SUSCEPTIBILITY Clean audio using the SM-30 Mic is degraded by RF leakage unless lots of ferros used on every input including mic connect, also needs an RF cap at power input and a hard ground on case.
RF shows up in degrading audio. Flat topping seen on audio scope even though it sounds good on monitor (NOT the same as transmitted audio).

EVENT after 4 months in service: Good audio reports replaced with "terrible distortion" reports when one of the two (push-pull) output transistors failed at its gate. Service tech at ICOM/ Kirkland, WA says
"no known causative factors.

ALSO: Needs a BETTER "S display"; and, the RF Gain control confuses the S readout.
How about a METER WITH A NEEDLE or an equivalent on the display. The current nervous combo display sucks.

RETURNED to ICOM at Kirkland, WA for repair.

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Without hesitation, the best radio deal out today.

G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got a small collection of transceivers demonstrating how designs have progressed over the last 60 years - they have a lot in common (HFO, filters, IF transformers etc etc). The 7300 has very little. However you'd think it's the same but has just got a fancy touch screen - so what my phone has had that for ages. This transceiver is the best package at a very reasonable price - go get one you won't be disappointed and you'll just fall in love with what SDR can do. BTW it's on the front page of the Sherwood listing.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2018 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the $  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update of my feelings for the Icom 7300. I have a LOT of different radios, of every brand and cost, new and vintage.

I recently received my backordered 7610. I re-did my main operating position and have the 7300 and 7610 side-by-side.
While I enjoy using both radios, the 7300 impresses me every time I use it. Maybe it's the simplicity and LACK of knobs.
The rx performance even on 50 MHz is exactly the same as the 7610.
If the radio were larger (I have big paws), I probably would not even have purchased the 7610.

Yes, the 7610 has the external monitor, etc. I use the German FA-AS Automatic Antenna Switch which gets around the 'one antenna issue' with the 7300.

I just did the easy SW update for both radios. Easy, even for an OF like me.

Bottom line? It's one of my favorite toys.

ron
N4UE

VA3DCF Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my ICOM7300 in November, 2017 and am pleased with it. It does everything it should.

PRO:

- A nice bonus is getting signal reports on SSB and comments like "What mic are you using? What audio processor did you buy to sound so good?" Of course it is the stock mic.

- CW filters are great, it is wonderful to adjust as one wants.

- Easy interfacing to computers if you want to.

- You can remote display the rig's spectrum with some DIY python.

CON:

- There are sampling artifacts below 100 KHz, in my case, one smack on WWVB 60 KHz; and DC converter hash below 100 KHz.

N0FQN Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2018 19:01 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having this rig for 4 months and evaluating it against my other rigs, it's OK. I did a bench test with my HP 8921A service monitor between the 7300 and the 765. They compare equally, no discernible difference. On air the same, even with the DSP and dual band pass of the 7300, they were very, very close. On CW is where the 765 shines over the 7300. The 765 with 250 Hz filter on has a natural sound to the tone. The 7300 set between 1Khz and 50Hz still produces the A/D D/A hollow sound which, for my ears is unpleasant to listen to for any length of time. The 765 actually pulled out weak CW signals the 7300 couldn't, neither used the preamp. Now the surprised even me. What does this tell you? That Icom has been duping us with poor performance, up till now. For many years this has transpired. They finally brought the bar back where it should have been. Look at Sherwood specs for the 765 then look at the 756 series(any of them), 7600 and the 7700. You'll see a major drop in performance over all compared to the 765. What they did was add bling and a scope and the bass bit. Don't get me wrong, I like Icom.

NB9M Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2018 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Raised the bar for other manufacturers!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In 1971, Yaesu released the FT-101 transceiver, and it changed everything. Packing a stable, 100W transceiver with an AC supply into a gorgeous package upped the game. It was the Yaesu FT-101 that contributed to the dissolution of manufacturers like Swan and Galaxy. I believe we are witnessing the same phenomenon today with the Icom IC-7300.

To pack a full sampling SDR receiver into a smallish transceiver with a waterfall and touch screen is innovative enough. But the firmware is AWESOME. The user interface is mature and consistent. There is an overall feeling of quality and consistency that is rarely found in such a new product.

I did a quick comparison between receiver performance to the Flex 3000, and the IC-7300 was superior. The transmit audio, with the supplied stock mic, was described by one contact as sounding warm, rich and colorful.

I have had the privilege of owning hundreds of ham radio equipment, but this is truly one product that stands out. Excellent job, Icom.

WB2NEW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Icom 7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just got a used 7300. Coming from using mostly vintage radios I thought it was going to be quite a jump. I thought this was a good way to get a sample of SDR. Not really crazy about using a computer for my rig ! The radio is truly amazing for it size and price. I did a lot of research on this and the 7610. I had it on the air right away and with in the first hour got the hang of it. Love the touch screen and the rec. I have had excellent audio reports with the stock hand mic. Nothing else to buy. Might go full blown SDR!

KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't get into a long write up, there are already plenty of those.

The price, features, and operating capabilities make this a 5 in my book!

I already have another HF rig but the IC-7300 got me off the couch and back into hf!!!