Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 274 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Without hesitation, the best radio deal out today.
G4KSG Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2018 10:54 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've got a small collection of transceivers demonstrating how designs have progressed over the last 60 years - they have a lot in common (HFO, filters, IF transformers etc etc). The 7300 has very little. However you'd think it's the same but has just got a fancy touch screen - so what my phone has had that for ages. This transceiver is the best package at a very reasonable price - go get one you won't be disappointed and you'll just fall in love with what SDR can do. BTW it's on the front page of the Sherwood listing.
N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2018 14:42 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the $  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an update of my feelings for the Icom 7300. I have a LOT of different radios, of every brand and cost, new and vintage.

I recently received my backordered 7610. I re-did my main operating position and have the 7300 and 7610 side-by-side.
While I enjoy using both radios, the 7300 impresses me every time I use it. Maybe it's the simplicity and LACK of knobs.
The rx performance even on 50 MHz is exactly the same as the 7610.
If the radio were larger (I have big paws), I probably would not even have purchased the 7610.

Yes, the 7610 has the external monitor, etc. I use the German FA-AS Automatic Antenna Switch which gets around the 'one antenna issue' with the 7300.

I just did the easy SW update for both radios. Easy, even for an OF like me.

Bottom line? It's one of my favorite toys.

VA3DCF Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2018 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Performs as Advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my ICOM7300 in November, 2017 and am pleased with it. It does everything it should.

- A nice bonus is getting signal reports on SSB and comments like "What mic are you using? What audio processor did you buy to sound so good?" Of course it is the stock mic.

- CW filters are great, it is wonderful to adjust as one wants.

- Easy interfacing to computers if you want to.

- You can remote display the rig's spectrum with some DIY python.

- There are sampling artifacts below 100 KHz, in my case, one smack on WWVB 60 KHz; and DC converter hash below 100 KHz.
N0FQN Rating: 3/5 Feb 26, 2018 19:01 Send this review to a friend
OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After having this rig for 4 months and evaluating it against my other rigs, it's OK. I did a bench test with my HP 8921A service monitor between the 7300 and the 765. They compare equally, no discernible difference. On air the same, even with the DSP and dual band pass of the 7300, they were very, very close. On CW is where the 765 shines over the 7300. The 765 with 250 Hz filter on has a natural sound to the tone. The 7300 set between 1Khz and 50Hz still produces the A/D D/A hollow sound which, for my ears is unpleasant to listen to for any length of time. The 765 actually pulled out weak CW signals the 7300 couldn't, neither used the preamp. Now the surprised even me. What does this tell you? That Icom has been duping us with poor performance, up till now. For many years this has transpired. They finally brought the bar back where it should have been. Look at Sherwood specs for the 765 then look at the 756 series(any of them), 7600 and the 7700. You'll see a major drop in performance over all compared to the 765. What they did was add bling and a scope and the bass bit. Don't get me wrong, I like Icom.
NB9M Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2018 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Raised the bar for other manufacturers!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In 1971, Yaesu released the FT-101 transceiver, and it changed everything. Packing a stable, 100W transceiver with an AC supply into a gorgeous package upped the game. It was the Yaesu FT-101 that contributed to the dissolution of manufacturers like Swan and Galaxy. I believe we are witnessing the same phenomenon today with the Icom IC-7300.

To pack a full sampling SDR receiver into a smallish transceiver with a waterfall and touch screen is innovative enough. But the firmware is AWESOME. The user interface is mature and consistent. There is an overall feeling of quality and consistency that is rarely found in such a new product.

I did a quick comparison between receiver performance to the Flex 3000, and the IC-7300 was superior. The transmit audio, with the supplied stock mic, was described by one contact as sounding warm, rich and colorful.

I have had the privilege of owning hundreds of ham radio equipment, but this is truly one product that stands out. Excellent job, Icom.
WB2NEW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Icom 7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just got a used 7300. Coming from using mostly vintage radios I thought it was going to be quite a jump. I thought this was a good way to get a sample of SDR. Not really crazy about using a computer for my rig ! The radio is truly amazing for it size and price. I did a lot of research on this and the 7610. I had it on the air right away and with in the first hour got the hang of it. Love the touch screen and the rec. I have had excellent audio reports with the stock hand mic. Nothing else to buy. Might go full blown SDR!
KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't get into a long write up, there are already plenty of those.

The price, features, and operating capabilities make this a 5 in my book!

I already have another HF rig but the IC-7300 got me off the couch and back into hf!!!
W4NNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Love it and wasn't sure I would...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a new rig, and being an Icom guy, had narrowed it down to the 7610 and the 7300. I was attracted to the 7610 because, let's face it, it's just so PRETTY. And there was that nice big display. There was also the price, of course, and I finally decided that for me, buying the 7610 would be like buying a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store once a week.

Now that I have the 7300, I'm thrilled with it. I was worried at first...the display, while far better than anything on any of my older rigs, did seem a little small. After a day or two it didn't seem so small, though...and in fact came to seem just about right.

Otherwise? Great receiver with excellent audio. Great reports on transmit audio. Lots of features, but everything pretty user friendly, it seems to me.

Feels like this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship!
WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 10:45 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT ! ! ! !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To me, it's the ultimate rig. Anything I could say would just be a repeat of earlier positive comments.

I want to reply to a comment by KD7SU. He complained that the display, on his 7300, goes blank and the power light blinks. This is NOT an equipment failure. He has the screen saver turned on. It can be turned off, or set to different times before operator inactivity causes the screen to blank. I have mine set for 15 minutes. Moving any control brings the display back on.