Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 233 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

KB3LSM Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2017 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio with the icom desk mic for about 2 years. The receiver is the best I've had so far and the waterfall is nice on the radio to see activity on nearby frequencies. It has a swell sound on SSB (I get frequent random unprompted compliments) and fair audio on AM. The touchscreen menus are nice and the built in tuner and built in USB port and sound card/TNC is great. I have plans to get the icom software for remote control of his radio, but I haven't yet. This is a lot of radio for the money. I do HAM, CB, SWL and digital modes with this radio and if it got blown up by lightning tonight I would order another one tomorrow.

N6AFV Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2017 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Worth the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used an IC-718 since 2005, and it was an adequate rig. I did some SSB, but recently more digital, using an external homebrew interface. I have been thinking about a new rig, but it was difficult deciding between the 7100, 7200, and 7300. Each has advantages and disadvantages. In the end, I liked the idea of the SDR, the spectrum scope, and the touch-screen color display, so I bought a 7300. I am really happy with this radio! Despite the very high background QRN at my location (S7-S9 on 80, 40, 20) I find the 7300 seems to be better able to recover usable audio from weak signals, most likely because of the better filtering and DSP noise reduction. The built-in digital interface works great, the pan/spectrum display is a great help in looking through a band, I now have 6m capability that my IC-718 lacked, and built-in tuner seems to work very well with my OCF antenna. The rig is compact, but packs a lot into it's case, and so far (I've just had it a week) I have found nothing that makes me regret my choice.

N0FQN Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2017 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Good radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig to replace my IC-775DSP I foolishly sold. After looking at Sherwood Eng site and seeing the specs on this rig I figured it was worth a try. Yes, the specs do tell the truth but, the final judge is your own ears. It was a toss up between the 7300(with tuner) and the 7200(without tuner). I went with the tuner. Comparing this to my IC-765 and IC-7100 it fell right into place. The receiver is very comparable to the 765. Neither one was better then the other on SSB or CW at 250Hz. The receive tonal quality of the 7300 is a little harsher. I liked the more mellow sound of the 765. Both used the same speaker. The only quirk, if you will, was the way to place a frequency into memory was different than the 746(Pro)/756 series/7100/7200/765/775. I've had them all. I like the idea of using either the buttons or menus to change the NB, NR, Notch, etc. The DSP has improved over previous models. I heard no "watery" sound that was typical in the past. The "fish finder", as it's fondly called, is of no use to me. Digital modes are difficult for me with arthritis and poor typing skills too boot. For the price range it's a dandy rig.

K2PAL Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2017 14:06 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The best radio I've seen for this price.
How could you rate 2/5 or 3/5?
No words, Thank You Icom! You are the best!

WB0UWG Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2017 14:53 Send this review to a friend
My 2 cents  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was skeptical about all the positive reviews, but it was time for a new rig, so I decided to give the IC7300 a try. Glad I did! Exceptional rig, easy to use out of the box, outstanding receiver. It took a little fiddling to get it working with Ham Radio Deluxe and WSJTX over the rigs built-in USB interface. Everything works great now. I could go on praising this rig, but it would only be repeating the many fine previous reviews. Money well spent.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2017 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Oh no! Another review.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is no perfect radio. As part of the hobby I enjoy using different radios so I have owned them all, literally. I only work cw and rarely work contest so I'm speaking from a cw ops point of view. I have no strong local stations to deal with so I have no idea how well it would perform with a guy running a KW next door to me. The negatives: I was disappointed in the fan noise compared to my other radios. I was also disappointed in the relay noise working fast cw or full QSK. With head phones on they became a non issue. That is the bad stuff. The good stuff out weighs those two negatives. It is a fun radio to use. Icom did a great job with the menu system and the touch screen. I was able to use the radio and all its features without looking at the manual. Having owned K3's and other menu intensive radios the 7300 is a little diamond to set up quickly. The receiver is a joy to use and just sounds good to me. The noise reduction works well and is not irritating. The filtering is very effective. I have not had a need to try the noise blanker as I have no pulse noise to deal with. The overall build quality is excellent and I think the rig is fairly priced. I would definitely buy this radio again without hesitation. Don't buy it if it lacks the features you are looking for. People write these reviews and complain about missing features. I don't quite get that!

WB8VLC Rating: 3/5 Sep 1, 2017 19:23 Send this review to a friend
poor receiver, mediocre noise reduction  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had it for a week and a half but gave it up, the receiver is crap I constantly had RF OVERLOAD issues even with moderate signals.

The 7300 was overloaded beyond use with a nearby neighbor 3 miles away on every band we jointly operated on, in particular 6 meters, 20 and 40.

The noise reduction in the 7300 was crap, it couldn't take out even moderate power line noise.

My replacement was a Elecraft K3S which I purchased for a steal, ah the joy of a quiet RX with excellent noise reduction features.

While the k3s was 450 more than the 7300 its an order of magnitude better than the icom and I can operate on the same band as my neighbor even when he runs his multi stack of six meter LFA's or 20meter and 40 meter dx engineering yagis and 1500 watts which couldn't be done on any of these bands with the 7300

WA0UAY Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Another discovery.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for about 14 months now and recently found something that maybe others have but I wanted to share it anyway. The 7300 has such a sensitive receiver that the noise floor was sometimes a little higher than I liked. I found that if you engage the ATT attenuater, the receiver noise floor is considerably quieter. Of course you can reduce the RF gain but the ATT makes more of a difference. Because the receiver is so sensitive, the signals, even weak ones still come thru beautifully. About everything else has been said about this great transceiver. An unbelievable radio at a bargain price!

W1WM Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Calling this an entry level rig is ICOM's way of making you long for something in their line up that is more expensive. This is not a double conversion superheterodyne radio with optional filters and dsp in the audio stage. It is truly a software defined radio in a box. Sherwood's test numbers bear out the superiority of its design. The touchscreen is a joy to use and the radio's features are highly customizable through the user interface. HIGHLY recommended.

F6GYY Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2017 10:35 Send this review to a friend
A versatile transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Absolutely an amazing transceiver for the price...
Ergonomy and menu layout are top class. The touch screen is small but very sharp. The audio quality is top notch. Got a lot of compliments concerning the modulation.
Everything can be adjusted. NR, Filters, AGC, RF-Gain and audio HPF /LPF ....so extreme sensitivity
is possible...also a QRM free reception...
In extreme case, the SCR preselector from Heros technologies ( 1.5-30 MHz ) will do it...