Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 271 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

WB2NEW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2018 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Icom 7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just got a used 7300. Coming from using mostly vintage radios I thought it was going to be quite a jump. I thought this was a good way to get a sample of SDR. Not really crazy about using a computer for my rig ! The radio is truly amazing for it size and price. I did a lot of research on this and the 7610. I had it on the air right away and with in the first hour got the hang of it. Love the touch screen and the rec. I have had excellent audio reports with the stock hand mic. Nothing else to buy. Might go full blown SDR!

KF7IWZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2018 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I won't get into a long write up, there are already plenty of those.

The price, features, and operating capabilities make this a 5 in my book!

I already have another HF rig but the IC-7300 got me off the couch and back into hf!!!

W4NNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Love it and wasn't sure I would...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a new rig, and being an Icom guy, had narrowed it down to the 7610 and the 7300. I was attracted to the 7610 because, let's face it, it's just so PRETTY. And there was that nice big display. There was also the price, of course, and I finally decided that for me, buying the 7610 would be like buying a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store once a week.

Now that I have the 7300, I'm thrilled with it. I was worried at first...the display, while far better than anything on any of my older rigs, did seem a little small. After a day or two it didn't seem so small, though...and in fact came to seem just about right.

Otherwise? Great receiver with excellent audio. Great reports on transmit audio. Lots of features, but everything pretty user friendly, it seems to me.

Feels like this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship!

WB8CAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 10:45 Send this review to a friend
LOVE IT ! ! ! !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To me, it's the ultimate rig. Anything I could say would just be a repeat of earlier positive comments.

I want to reply to a comment by KD7SU. He complained that the display, on his 7300, goes blank and the power light blinks. This is NOT an equipment failure. He has the screen saver turned on. It can be turned off, or set to different times before operator inactivity causes the screen to blank. I have mine set for 15 minutes. Moving any control brings the display back on.

AB9TX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Fun Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 6 months of ownership I thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in on this portable radio by Icom. Number 1 the operational design is outstanding, fun and easy to use, I will call it groundbreaking as the other big radio manufacturers are scrambling, which in my opinion is a good thing for us. The receiver is super hot, and the 2 preamps are very use able. I find running the first pre-amp and turning down the receiver gain works great. When it gets too noisy, I turn off the preamp.
The receiver gain control is the key with this SDR rig.
The emergency tuner mode can go to 10:1, limiting the power output to 50 watts, but for QRP use it is great with those home brew wire antennas and experimenting, where all other radios except Elecraft have figured out how to build an internal tuner.
The display is small, but very readable. The audio is great, even better with the matching speaker. I have excellent audio reports with the stock mic.
I have this radio on my nightstand where the size is perfect, very enjoyable radio, well done Icom. Thank you.

N2PM Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2018 05:48 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several 7300s. No doubt they are a great bargain and I found them extremely fun to operate. However after a short while I sold each of them. The problem is I live in an urban environment with a high noise level and the NR and NB can't cope with it as well as my 590SG. The receiver is great and for the money it is a great introduction into a SDR radio. My friend lives in the country and with a lower noise level has no problems. My advice if you live in the city go for the 590SG, if you're noise level is low either one is great with the fun factor in favor of the 7300.

KE4EVL Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2018 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just wanted to add to the review by saying how pleased I am with this radio. Huge upgrade for me from the IC-718. The menus on the radio seem intuitive to me and I can navigate quickly. The pan adapter is easy for me to ready and I absolutely love the touch screen so I can tune over on the waterfall by touching the screen.

I'd recommend this radio to anyone. I cannot believe the features for the price point. With rebates and etc. I got it for $1,100. Still just thrilled with the purchase!

G4PNF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2018 06:02 Send this review to a friend
Just right.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It really is a brilliant little rig. So much good stuff has been written about it there is really no need to add to it in detail.
The little panadapter type display is excellent. Some people have said it is too small to be of much use but in my experience and provided you set it up right, you can see everything you need across the bands and quickly tune onto any SSB or CW signal with accuracy. The rig operates very intuitively and the learning curve to master the menus etc via the touch screen is easy and natural.
I had a problem with the lack of an external RX antenna socket so I have fitted the Inrad RX7300 antenna port port mod. It's a bit over priced (in the UK) for what it is but it works great. I use it in combination with a simple 2way coax switch and I can instantly compare the main antenna with my RX loop. I also use the matching SP-38 which looks and sounds pretty good too. The transmit audio quality using the regular fist mic is absolutely spot on, full, clear and punchy sounding. It is of course easily adjusted over a wide range via the touch screen. In fact there is nothing not to like about this rig and for me it is definitely going to be a keeper.

NZ8I Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2018 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought one during the Holdiay Sales from HRO.
Ham friend has had one for a year or more.
All I can say is "amazing."
First licensed in 1978; Ham for 40 years. This one beats them all; if you actually still like to "turn the knobs."
I sold my RSP2 recently-no knobs. I'm sure the other computer SDR's would be just as dissapointing for me as well. Gripes about the second receiver port and the "big" monitor issues are easily solved by the INRAD accessory and the N1MM program.
If you are confused about a purchase of the 7300 vs 7610(are there other radios now?); please listen to the infamous Rob Sherwood "7610" talk on QRZnow recently. Best,
NZ8I

SQ5TSS Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2018 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Great   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a radio in just four weeks. Icom 7300 exceeded my expectations, because I moved to the kenwood T590 to the 7300. The ability to separate desired signals from closely spaced interference from surprise.
great EQ built in radio. buy one, you won't be disappointed.