Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER
ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER Reviews: 269 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,499
Description: This new HF plus 6 meter 100 watt transceiver hosts new
capabilities and technologies for its class. Instead of
the conventional superheterodyne system, a direct RF
sampling approach is used. The brilliant TFT touch screen
provides complete operational status including a stunning
real-time spectrum display with waterfall plus a useful
audio scope display. There is a built-in tuner. Other
features include: Voice memory, 15 Band Pass Filters,
CW/RTTY memory keyer functions, RTTY decode, SD card
slot, USB for CI-V and audio I/O, digital noise reduction
and 101 memories. Only 9.45 x 3.75 x 9.37 inches
(240x95x238mm). Supplied with HM-219 hand mic, DC power
cord and fuses.
More info: http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/hf/ic-7300usa/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7300 HF/50MHz TRANSCEIVER.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2018 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Love It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sorry to hear people got defective units but this happens although it's rare. Icom will make it right. Also, The previous review should have been 2 reviews. The radio and software should be reviewed separately.

I've had mine 3 days and absolutely LOVE it. I have only had one other Icom, a 706MKIIG that I did like.
I was a Ten-Tec, Yaesu and Kenwood person for years but I think I've found my retirement radio. The 7300 is the best bang for buck radio in it's class.

W6FCC Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2017 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Radio Great, RS-BA1 Awful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Friend in NY and I (california) both bought this radio during Black Friday sale. Radio is great.

Then we both bought RS-BA1 remote control software. My NY friend has huge antennas, and I wanted to try his setup using the remote software.

But, either ICOM screwed up the Firmware, or their software, but on the LAN it works, but across the internet, I have yet to read about ANYONE getting it to work with the latest firmware and software. The ONLY Youtube videos that report positive results were made before the "Updates" -- Frankly, I don't think the remote software has EVER been tested OVER THE INTERNET with the latest release.

For now, until you see a positive review, or another update, consider the RS-BA1 Remote Control system a total failure.

After updating the Radio Firmware from ICOM site Radio works great.

Reset Radio (after several attempts at RS-BA1)
Now:

1. Install CP210xVCPInstaller_x64.exe
2. Install software on RS-BA1 Disk
3. Install RS-BA1 Update v 1.95

Results:

Open Ports 50001 to 50003 on router, at both ends, pointing to Server and Remote (both routers need to have Port Forwarding enabled)

Connects to remote server: Yes
Connect to remote Radio: Yes
Same Virtual Serial Port: Yes
Same CIV address: Yes
Does it work: NO
Time spent: days when time available
Uninstall and Reinstall: Several Times

Conclusion: This program does NOT work as described.

Suggestion: Icom needs to actually TEST this software, OVER THE INTERNET, and provide whatever updates, instructions, firmware, etc. are needed. Otherwise, this program is a DUD.

N5JJC Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2017 16:26 Send this review to a friend
First Power to my new IC-7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my brand new IC-7300 from HRO. The guy at the store raved on Icom quality control vs Yaseu. When I power it on the first message I got was "DSP is not working correctly". No audio, no signal, no power out but all the menus worked. I checked the software versions. Main CPU: 1.14, Front CPU: 1.01 DSP Program: Blank DSP Data: Blank and FPGA: Blank.

I tried a firmware upgrade to correct the problem. It will not take the firmware.

I had this radio less than 2 days and actually read the manual. It is pretty straight forward and I don't think I missed anything.

We will see how the return works at HRO.

N2PH Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2017 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Happy owner of a 7300  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned many transceivers-Heathkit SB-102; Kenwood 120s, 520s, 530sp, 820, and 830; Yaesu 450d and fddx 1200; Icom 718, 7200 and now the 7300. I can say without a doubt the 7300 is the best one yet. I still own the Icom 7200 and throughly enjoy this transceiver. It appears that the 7300 has a better receiver than my 7200 but, using the same antenna the difference is not great-a receiver is only as good as the antenna. I believe the BIG difference is the scope. The scope lets you see what is on the band and where. Without the scope you may have to tune the entire band to find activity, but with the scope you can see where the activity is (or is not) and quickly go to it. I thought the scope would be a novelty and not that useful, I was wrong. Using the scope I can have more QSO's in less time than using my 7200.

Bottom line it is a great rig and I am very happy I own a 7300.

W7YC Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Replaced my Orion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally sold my Orion and purchased one of these. The Orion's down-conversion architecture combined with selectable IF roofing filters set a new industry design trend during the early 2000's. Now, that design trend has again been challenged with direct sampling architectures - the IC-7300 being an early adopter. In a recent CW contest with stations spaced every 250 Hz, I had no trouble using the 7300 to pull out weak signals with no adjacent channel interference and with very little ringing. Something the Orion could do but not nearly as well! The spectrum scope and waterfall display are indispensable operating tools, as those with other SDR radios already know. This was also something the Orion attempted to implement, but didn't quite have the DSP horsepower to pull it off. Since upgrading the 7300 to v1.20 firmware, I've had one instance where the spectrum scope randomly changed its sensitivity threshold during a QSO. Power cycling the radio restored the threshold back to its saved setting again. The price-performance point of this radio makes it a bargain today and will make it a tough market competitor going forward.

KD7SU Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2017 08:33 Send this review to a friend
Display goes away  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my ICom 7300 just over a year, after about a half hour the display goes blank and power button starts to blink. Been great radio until this happens. Key it and back to normal?

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2017 17:50 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this rig since they first came out more or less, still working 100% no problems. Having had many transceivers over the years this is a real keeper. For the price and size I would have excused it for not being a full 5* but I have radios and have had radios costing almost 4 times as much and this baby competes not only receive but transmit reports.I`m using an Icom SM20 mic (separated mic and ptt and using the mic section on a boom) I go on a number of nets and even on my limited power output I often get given at least as good and more often than not better audio and signal strength than many others. The bands at present are the pits but I always seem to be one of the members that can hear the weak stations. Apart from HF I go on several 4Mtr nets during the week and again get great reports. Everything is just so easy to find and adjust. I`ve seen a few reviews of the new 7610 vs the 7300 and in fairness the 7610 does seem to be slightly better in some things but certainly not by an amount that you would notice if you weren`t comparing them side by side. I think this radio will go down as a classic and Icom are still selling them as they are delivered to the dealers.Well done Icom you made me smile.

WB6OUE Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2017 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Best HF rig I have ever had.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ever since SDR radios came out I wanted to have one. Flex is the best, but they ask way more than what I wanted to pay. When the IC 7300 came out I watched pretty much every youtube review I could find. I was not to sure if the "size" of the screen on the 7300 would be a problem as it is really hard to tell from watching videos and seeing picture online.

When the black Friday prices came out for the 7300 I took a gamble and bought one hoping I would be happy with it's size. Now that I have it, I could not be more happy not only with it's size, but how good this radios works!!!

The screen is extremely hires, and being 65 years old I have no problems at all seeing everything crystal clear. The scope which refreshes 30 time a second is fantastic compared to other Icom and Yeasu radios that cost much more.

There is nothing about the IC 7300 radio I dislike. What a joy, and fun it is to use. If you are thinking about getting one of these I would not hesitate. You will not be displeased.

KF4MKP Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2017 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Very nice rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yep, I bought one. I couldn't resist as the pricing and rebates were so good and the reviews so great. Here's my two cent's worth for having owned the rig about a month.

Very good receiver. The OVF overload that has come up in previous reviews is not an issue if you use your RF gain and turn off the pre-amp. I find that I don't even need the pre-amp (which has three settings: OFF, PRE-1, PRE-2), turning down the RF gain gets rid of a lot of unwanted noise anyway, and coupling that with the Noise Reduction on the rig you get a great receiver audio experience and you won't miss a station.

I've had reports of good signal quality on SSB. I have used CW mode and the keying relays aren't really any noisier than any other rig I've owned. However, if that bothers you, just change your break-in settings.

The touch-screen display is easy to use, the knobs work well and have a nice "feel".

Like my 7200, the twin PBT is nice, but better on the 7300 as you can actually see your hi-cut/lo-cut directions displayed.

Filter settings from Sharp to Soft are nice, and the Manual Notch filter I find myself using quite frequently.

Ok, the Tuner will tune a SWR of 3:1 or less, but you can turn it off and use an external tuner, which I have to do because my primary antenna is currently down and I'm trying to get a good match on a G5RV, which doesn't work for me unless on 20 meters. However, you can put the tuner in an "emergency mode" which will tune up to a 10:1 SWR but limits the transmitter power to 50 Watts...

After the rebates, I spent less than 1k on this radio, and the performance is worth 3x that amount in my opinion.

N3WJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 2, 2017 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Fun radio except for the keying relay  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had my eye on this rig since it was first released. I have watched hours of YouTube videos and read countless reviews and read the online manual. I really wanted one. I finally sold some equipment and had the cash so I waited for Black Friday sales. On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I saw that HRO had it down to $999 including the mail-in rebate. Time to pull the trigger. I called HRO Phoenix and they had it to my Arizona QTH the next day (thanks!), well in time for the CQWW CW weekend.

With anticipation I set it up, hooked up my antenna and key, turned it on, keyed a few dots and WOW, what was that noise!? It sounded like a manual typewriter from the 60s. On top of that, every time I hit the key the fan came on. The combination created quite a racket in my shack. I can not believe that ICOM would put such a poor quality, noisy mechanical relay in a modern state-of-the-art radio!

I immediately Googled the problem and found a few, but not many, references to the noisy relay in both eHam reviews and YouTube. I watched a few of the YT videos and they actually suggested either a) putting some $3 putty around the relay or b) removing the offending relay altogether both of which, of course, voids the warranty on the radio. I was ready to pack it back up and return it within the 10 day return window and not worry about the restocking fee.

So, why do I still have the 7300 and give it 4 stars? Other than this very annoying problem, I have to say I really like the rig. The size is perfect for my small shack. The touch screen is great. The waterfall spectrum scope is not a gimmick and works really well. I love being able to spot activity across the band and just touch the screen to jump to that frequency. Although I am primarily a CW op, it works well on phone and I have received great audio reports just using the default settings. As for the keying "issue", I find if I use headphones, which I almost always do operating CW, it is not horrible.

When I thought about returning it, I tried to think about which radio I would get to replace it. Frankly, given the features, I couldn't think of anything that I could find that wouldn't cost at least twice as much, if not significantly more. I guess when the warranty runs out, I will try the putty...