Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | zastone MP-300 Help

Reviews Summary for zastone MP-300
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $100
Description: Dual band 2 meter/440 radio
More info: http://zastonetech.com/2-2-mini-mobile-transceiver/220235

You can write your own review of the zastone MP-300.

K4QD Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2017 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Satisfied for the price after one year  Time owned: more than 12 months
A year ago a local ham got together an order for ten of these at under $80.00 each including shipping. I am considering buying another unit for my "Go Kit" and came here to look at reviews. I was surprised at the poor reviews so decided to share my experience.

I first used mine for several months in the shack, and six months ago I installed it in my pickup truck. It has held up fine there in the Florida heat. Here are some further observations about the radio.

My radio puts out 22W VHF High power and 17W low. On UHF it puts out 18W high and 9W low (Bird watt meter into a dummy load). I have programmed all my VHF repeaters for low power because of the small size of the radio and my concern for the potential of overheating with a lot of use. I have never experienced any overheating problems. I have my simplex and UHF programmed for high power. Also, for my local VHF repeaters 17W is more than enough.

I found that I can program the channels quite easy using a quick guide I made up. The radio comes with a cigarette lighter adapter on the power cable and I initially used that for a while in the truck with a mag mount antenna with no problems. The power cable connector that comes on the radio is the same as most other VHF/UHF mobile radios.

This radio is not as rugged as my 25 year old Kenwood VHF mobile units, but then most new radios are not. I am giving this radio a four rating because after a year of use I have had no problems with it and it does the job for me on VHF and UHF at a cost that is far less than the Kenwood, Yaesu, and ICOM radios I have also owned.

I notice that it appears this radio also sells as a Jenetai JT-6188.

WB4TJH Rating: 0/5 Jul 31, 2017 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Mystery  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one that I have only used on simplex. I still can not figure out how to program the darned thing. Get a Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom and you'll be happy. Don't waste your money on this thing.

WD6BGN Rating: 0/5 Nov 6, 2016 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Rec has problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for over a year. While it transmits just fine, the receiver not so much. Even with reasonably strong signals (S-9) it will cut out, picket fence, It makes the other stations sound like it is breaking up. I have tried to contact Zastone several times, and they have not returned my email.
Perhaps I just got a bad one. I like the radio for it's small size, perfect for the new small cars.
It should have the audio coming out the mic jack, so that it could be used for APRS and other digital modes.
If you get one, check it out right away and make sure you can return it. I can't recommend this radio at this time.

KB4OIF Rating: 2/5 Mar 29, 2016 15:45 Send this review to a friend
not well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pro's very small and compact, clear audio and price.
Con's Very low audio with no way to turn it up in the menu's. Microphone cable jack is poorly made. Instruction manual is poorly written. Not anywhere near the kenwoods, yuasu's and so on. Will keep using my v71a's.