Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-910H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-910H
Icom IC-910H Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1,500 (Street)
Description: VHF/UHF Satellite Tranciever

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-910H.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 05:50 Send this review to a friend
The Best VHF/UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a european ( UK )model right from the end of the production run - fully loaded, and it performs excellent.

When using an aerial that has SWR higher than 1:1.5 it will start to reduce the power, a good safety feature. When using an aerial with closer resonance it outputs full power as spec.

A lovely base station that does exactly what it says on the tin !

I thought about buying one of these for a long time - only wish i had done it sooner

If you can find a good one - do not hesitate....Buy it !

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my first IC-910H and wish I hadn't! I ended up buying another 910H used. The rig works well and is a lot cheaper with 1.2 Ghz. unit than the IC-9100. I have an HF radio and the IC-910H for half the price of the IC-9100. I have not had the problems some of you have had. The IC-910H makes full power, hears well and is an all around good VHF-UHF rig.

N5XO Rating: 3/5 Aug 14, 2011 05:10 Send this review to a friend
A little better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay, after playing with the power cable, crimped down tight the fuse connectors to insure solid contact, tightened up the molex connector for better contact the 910H is now putting out decent power about 92 to 98 watts.

Couple of quirks still rearing up....after a few minutes of talking it drops the power as it heats up...as loud as the fans are, you would think it would suck the heat out better and not need to reduce power.

But holy crap this thing hates SWR, my stacked beams are narrow and have a solid SWR on the call freq, but slide a little up or down and the SWR begins to climb. Nothing that should bother the radio, but power drops rapidly so that 30 to 40 watts is all that is going out. THAT IS SAD.

My review of the receiver has dramatically improved, while the S meter shows a low signal, I was pulling in some very good weak signals that were very easy to copy. So happy with the receiver but with out an amp, this transmitter sucks.

Come on Icom a dedicated VHF/UHF radio base station at the price you sold this for new should work one hell of a lot better than my cheap little yasue mobil for $105.

SV8FMV Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2011 02:11 Send this review to a friend
To little for the the big price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The life (with a VHF-UHF transceiver)is not only satellite.
1)Even I found the memory NAMES...where is it ICOM?
2)Where the DCS? (my IC-910H is a 2008 model)
3)...and the better from all.....where is the DTMF?
I feel wonder for this rig!!! Thanks ICOM.
Like all ICOM is a to expensive, i say one more time like a.....GOLD.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2010 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Great for Satellites or local FM !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With nearly 100 watts, this little beauty really stands out on 2m and 440 ! I've had two TS-2000 boxes and the 910H really runs rings around them in terms of east of use for satellite ops and local FM on 2 and 440... the extra power out - LOTS of power out - make marginal repeaters easy access and the receiver is fine for me with no external preamps for basic satellite and local and mid-range FM operating. If there was a major disruption of communications, and I needed to be able to reach out on 2M or 440 FM or SSB or Digital, THIS would be the radio to have. The TS-2000 is a distant second place radio here. ...Bob KK8ZZ

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs Better Frequency Stability  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for a few years and it does a fantastic job on satellites and VHF/UHF contesting. Only used my 1296 MHz option 3 times but at least I have it. Why can't manufacturers understand that on these bands, precise frequency control is needed. It may cost a few more dollars but a 10 MHz reference input feature would be great to have. One radio company, Flex Radio has that option in all their transceivers and luckily I own a model 5000A and the newer 1500 which has a 10 MHz input feature. If everyone had precise frequency control. just imagine the possibilties in weak signal work? Just my 2 cents.

TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2009 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
For an all mode, high power, amateur vhf/uhf xcvr it does the job well enough for me. I operate mine mostly SSB & CW. It is substantial, & well built unit from a mechanical stand point. It has nice sounding and xmit & rcv audio. It is a shame Icom does not have a 220 mhz module for it. I don't use it much for 2m/70cm FM, but for general use it does fine. Wouldn't it be something if Icom decided to make a modernized IF DSP version of this unit. Guess there's not much market for something like that or they would be making one. All in all, not bad, but it is a bit overpriced when you consider that the IC7000's 2m/70cm is quieter and has better selectivity (obviously not as much output power). Makes for a general purpose 2m/70cm base unit. Although I intend to hang on to this unit for a while, I probably would not buy another one if something happened to mine. I would probably go the transverter route with one of my HF transcievers.

I'm curious how the 2m module Elecraft is now marketing for the K3 will work out?

W3VR

W4AMP Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2009 12:18 Send this review to a friend
The Real Deal  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had a TS2000, and it is a nice rig. But IMHO the 910H blows it's doors off. Ordered mine from Dan at the ham station, installed the two dsp modules and 1.2 gig module myself. The rig has been flawless since day one. (six months now) No pre-amps needed, hot receiver on all bands. Lots of audio gain, like the hand mike better than the SM20. Worked the ISS during field day on 437.8 up with a GP98 verical! Reverse can be checked by pushing 7 (check) button.

Only knock on rig is option needed for computer logging/control. If not for that I would have given a five. Great rig, very pleased.

W3RXO Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2009 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, lacks some refinement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love my 910H. Now, with that out of the way, let me badmouth Icom, for some serious oversights, and engineered deficiencies.
1) No built in cross band duplex. While it is really best used for 2m SSB, it is a very capable FM radio, and this would be a nice function to have available.
2) No DCS. PLEASE! Come on Icom, radios selling for 1/4th the price have DCS capabilities. Why skimp out?
3) No Alpha-Numeric display. Again, like my first two complaints, this is primarily a problem for the FM user. But, again, radios with a far lower selling price, have Alpha-Numeric display capabilities.
4) And this one is more geared for the SSB/CW and weak signal users. The receive, when properly tuned to peak performance, is fully capable of far more sensitive receive, which would negate the need for the external pre-amplifier. Then again, maybe this was engineered in, to help sell the pre-amps?
5) A digital microphone gain control, that could program the mic gain setting based on band, mode, etc, into the memory, would be helpful. When switching from SSB to FM, if you forget to turn off the compression, or turn down the gain, you will have VERY hot transmit audio, in the FM mode.
SUGGESTION for Icom-Build a 220mhz module for it. Seeing as no manufacturer, other than Alinco, is currently building a 220 rig, having the ability to put a 220 module in something like this, or the Kenwood TS-2000, could be a plus to manufacturers who do not wish to put forth a full effort to build a 220 rig. Even if it only had a 25 watt output capability, it could be a boon for the manufacturer who builds one.

Aside from my negative comments, above, I do love my 910H. It does everything it is advertised to do, and does it well. The menus are fairly easy to navigate, and it is a solid performing rig. I simply wish Icom had thought to put a few more standard features in it, that are typically found on much less expensive rigs.

G8YTZ Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2009 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Communist radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio second-hand on e-bay from an Australian dealer www.radios.net.au The radio was well packed in its original box within another box and packed polystyrene “wotsits” ensuring that it arrived in one piece. Shipping took about two weeks to the UK.

The general condition was more-or-less as advertised perhaps the seller’s description of “immaculate” was perhaps very slightly optimistic, but certainly the radio is in “very good condition” and it works perfectly.

The general sensitivity and IM performance is good, I live less that ¼ mile from a powerful UHF TETRA transmitter these is a little cross-mod but is fairly negligible and no particular issues have been experienced. I can’t say that about other rigs I have tried at this location though.

The Good:

• Fantastic audio quality on transmit and receive, SSB and FM
• Very clear and easy-to-read display, only a normal LCD, but very clear and large display and at the right angle.
• Very easy to use, intuitive easy to store memories and navigate the menus.
• Great s-meters with massive dynamic range, I don’t think they come any better than this.
• Great cross-band performance (no noticeable receive gain compression) when using a Diamond diplexer and a Diamond V2000 single antenna
• Powerful transmitter mine gives 115W on 2M and 80W on 70cm (when cold) reducing to 100W on 2M and 70W on 70cm when hot
• Flexible data connectivity on the back
• Good options list, even if some should be standard

The Bad

• Expensive, until you factor in the cost of those standard built-in 70cm and 2m power amplifier.
• Lacks AM reception, or for that matter transmission too.
• Lacks a wideband receiver function that’s a standard feature on any modern handheld.
• No reverse repeater button (listen input) at least I cannot find the function in the manual, however this is not really a repeater rig so ignore this comment!
• Fan is a little on the noisy side, at least for most use it only runs at its lower speed and only when on transmit unless the unit is used for very long over’s. As I live in the UK and we don’t have Tokyo summers I plan to change it to a slower-running model (RS Components 541-5025) made by Orion which is some 17dBA quieter than the original and the same physical size and mounting dimensions.
• Frequency stability with standard crystal is ok, but only just ok, so as I am fussy, I’ve ordered the CR-293 high stability oscillator module, this really should be a standard fitment.
• Would be better if the memory selection was via a knob rather than up/down buttons.

Summary

If you want a dedicated and high-power base station 2 & 70 rig with a 23cms option there is no better one on the market, but that does not mean that it is perfect, it is just that this radio occupies a monopoly market position and therefore represents the single party state. Come on Yaesu, how about some good old fashioned pre credit crunch capitalist competition? I’ll be first in the queue!. Unfortunately this radio is a little long in the tooth now, but don’t let that put you off if you want a serious SSB rig.

Justin G8YTZ