Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-910H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-910H
Icom IC-910H Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1,500 (Street)
Description: VHF/UHF Satellite Tranciever

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-910H.

K4TB Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic Weak Signal & Satellites Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After trading for it, I've had my Icom 910H for about two years. I finally got around to installing the last of the accessories. My unit is fully loaded: 2-DSPs, both CW filters, 23 cm transverter module, sound annunciator module, TCXO, and even the carrying handle and feet. I've used the radio for both weak signal SSB/CW and for satellite communication, and occasionally for local FM. I won't bother going into the plusses and minuses since they've been well covered in other reviews.

Suffice it to say that it was definitely designed with weak signal and satellite work in mind, not local FM (which it can do of course but not with all the extra features like memory labels, etc.) It seems to have good RX sensitivity, great TX power out (as long as SWR is low) and very good frequency stability (as long as you're using the optional TCXO unit). I like the fact I can work on the 23 cm band although there isn't much activity around here on that band. (Wish I had some EME antennas and amps to use with it!)

When I give it a 4 rating, I'm not comparing the radio with contemporary radios like the Icom 9100 or the Yaesu FT-991. Instead, I rate the 910H a 4 because of the difficulty I had with installing all the accessories, and the cost they added to the radio at the time it was new. I think that may have been why the 910H was not more popular than it was. Installing the accessories was like performing open heart surgery it seemed, but at least they all worked. I did have to recalibrate the TCXO because it was pretty far off frequency, and that wasn't too easy.

Bottom line: If you want an Icom 910H for weak signal or satellite work it's still a nice rig. It works well with SatPC32 for satellite communications. I still use mine for uplink due to it's TX power, but I'm using an FT-991 for downlink due to it's nice RX and finding it easier to work satellites with separate rigs.
K1FPV Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2015 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Has Worked Great For 10 + Years !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-910H for over 10 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've used it on FM, SSB as well as CW and it has performed admirably!

After reading a previous review about phase noise and similar issues, I took a look at my unit using my Spectrum Analyzer. Harmonics and other spurious emissions were 65dB or better down! On SSB, the opposite sideband was over 50 db down.

I've used this for weak signal contacts running it into amplifiers, and use it for satellite work. I have made a number of 10 meter/2 meter CW contacts using it on Oscar 7 when it is in sunlight. Each time I was told my 2 meter CW signal sounded great.

Recently Icom has had some issues with some of their newer rigs, but for sure, the older IC-910H isn't one of them!

Besides my IC-910H, I still have an old IC-740 in use which is over 30 years old. Other than changing a few old electrolytics, it still purrs like a kitten!

W0LD Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Good VHF/UHF Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 910H's since they were introduced to the market. Frankly, I have not experienced the issues some have talked about here. It is an excellent weak signal radio and drives a high power linear with a good signal. I have one that drives a 700 watt linear on 1.2 GHz. and a 1,500 watt SS amp on 2 meters. People have commented on how clean the signal is. In my book, if you can find a mint used radio, but it!
M0AFJ Rating: 1/5 May 6, 2015 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Phase noise  Time owned: months
This rig may look like a good solution to your multiband V/UHF requirements but it is not a good choice. The rig has very poor phase noise performance both on tx and rx, the transmitter radiates broadband noise which can affect locals and from a hill top hams many miles away. Contest groups who have used these have been penalised because of the interference caused. I have one locally and cannot operate on 23 cams when it is in use...
Should be consigned to the skip ( dumpster to my US readers)
CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 05:50 Send this review to a friend
The Best VHF/UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a european ( UK )model right from the end of the production run - fully loaded, and it performs excellent.

When using an aerial that has SWR higher than 1:1.5 it will start to reduce the power, a good safety feature. When using an aerial with closer resonance it outputs full power as spec.

A lovely base station that does exactly what it says on the tin !

I thought about buying one of these for a long time - only wish i had done it sooner

If you can find a good one - do not hesitate....Buy it !
W0LD Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my first IC-910H and wish I hadn't! I ended up buying another 910H used. The rig works well and is a lot cheaper with 1.2 Ghz. unit than the IC-9100. I have an HF radio and the IC-910H for half the price of the IC-9100. I have not had the problems some of you have had. The IC-910H makes full power, hears well and is an all around good VHF-UHF rig.
N5XO Rating: 3/5 Aug 14, 2011 05:10 Send this review to a friend
A little better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay, after playing with the power cable, crimped down tight the fuse connectors to insure solid contact, tightened up the molex connector for better contact the 910H is now putting out decent power about 92 to 98 watts.

Couple of quirks still rearing up....after a few minutes of talking it drops the power as it heats loud as the fans are, you would think it would suck the heat out better and not need to reduce power.

But holy crap this thing hates SWR, my stacked beams are narrow and have a solid SWR on the call freq, but slide a little up or down and the SWR begins to climb. Nothing that should bother the radio, but power drops rapidly so that 30 to 40 watts is all that is going out. THAT IS SAD.

My review of the receiver has dramatically improved, while the S meter shows a low signal, I was pulling in some very good weak signals that were very easy to copy. So happy with the receiver but with out an amp, this transmitter sucks.

Come on Icom a dedicated VHF/UHF radio base station at the price you sold this for new should work one hell of a lot better than my cheap little yasue mobil for $105.
SV8FMV Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2011 02:11 Send this review to a friend
To little for the the big price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The life (with a VHF-UHF transceiver)is not only satellite.
1)Even I found the memory NAMES...where is it ICOM?
2)Where the DCS? (my IC-910H is a 2008 model)
3)...and the better from all.....where is the DTMF?
I feel wonder for this rig!!! Thanks ICOM.
Like all ICOM is a to expensive, i say one more time like a.....GOLD.
KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2010 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Great for Satellites or local FM !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
With nearly 100 watts, this little beauty really stands out on 2m and 440 ! I've had two TS-2000 boxes and the 910H really runs rings around them in terms of east of use for satellite ops and local FM on 2 and 440... the extra power out - LOTS of power out - make marginal repeaters easy access and the receiver is fine for me with no external preamps for basic satellite and local and mid-range FM operating. If there was a major disruption of communications, and I needed to be able to reach out on 2M or 440 FM or SSB or Digital, THIS would be the radio to have. The TS-2000 is a distant second place radio here. ...Bob KK8ZZ
K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Needs Better Frequency Stability  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine for a few years and it does a fantastic job on satellites and VHF/UHF contesting. Only used my 1296 MHz option 3 times but at least I have it. Why can't manufacturers understand that on these bands, precise frequency control is needed. It may cost a few more dollars but a 10 MHz reference input feature would be great to have. One radio company, Flex Radio has that option in all their transceivers and luckily I own a model 5000A and the newer 1500 which has a 10 MHz input feature. If everyone had precise frequency control. just imagine the possibilties in weak signal work? Just my 2 cents.