Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-910H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-910H
Icom IC-910H Reviews: 80 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $1,500 (Street)
Description: VHF/UHF Satellite Tranciever

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-910H.

G0VHS Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2017 06:11 Send this review to a friend
The best VHF/UHF available  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having had radio experience (Kenwood fan) spanning more than two decades mainly on weak signal/satellite work, I feel relatively qualified, by saying that the IC-910 is a cracking little set.

It will never be high end transvertor class, but for the price, it's a cracker.

RX can be enhanced if you are a little electronic savvy - http://www.w6pql.com/ic-910h/ic910h.htm

Grab one if you can.

N2EAC Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2017 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Under Rated UHF/VHF Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-910H for almost 15 years now. Except for a pin diode going out, the radio has operated flawlessly. Now let's briefly compare what it does/the pros and what it doesn't do/the cons IMHO.

What it does/ the pros:
1. It gives you all mode 2m at 100 w and 70 cm at 75 w. I do not believe there are any Rigs at this price (I am excluding the HF/UHF IC-9100 and the older IC-970H) that can put out that amount of power without and external amp.
2. If you want to work sats... no problem.
3. SSB sensitivity is very good, even w/o a preamp. But, if you are working DX, you'll of course want a GasFet Preamp at the antenna, and of course, transverters attached to an SDR Rig blow it away. But, you need the whole SDR set up first.
4. It works any repeater, except the exotics like D-Star and Wires, where you would need a specialized FM Rig. But, it's no big deal.
5. It has a simple band scope.
6. A lot packed into a rather small package.

What it's not/ the cons:
1. Easy to set up. The learning curve is more steep than other Rigs.
2. Easy to see from an an angle. It is very particular about you looking dead to read the display.
3. I am sorry that Icom did not include (a) the AF-DSP UT-106 modules 2 x $150.00, and the CR-293 High Stability Crystal Oscillator $300.00 plus cost to install it at time of purchase. While the UT-106's were easy to install, the CR-293 needs a confident and steady hand to install it, or pay someone to install it. All in all, they make it a better radio.
4. It has a simple band scope. Oh, well. It is 17 y/o.
5. No D-Star or Wires-X functionality.

Summary:
Even though discontinued, I am not aware of any radio that can stand up to the constant use and punishment that the IC-910H can withstand (I feel the old FT-857D and the IC-706mkIIg are ok for occasional use or mobile use. But, for higher duty U/VHF, on SSB or FM the IC-910H is still a good bet.) I use mine almost daily and still enjoy using it.

73, Ed, N2EAC

K4TB Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2016 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Basic Weak Signal & Satellites Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
After trading for it, I've had my Icom 910H for about two years. I finally got around to installing the last of the accessories. My unit is fully loaded: 2-DSPs, both CW filters, 23 cm transverter module, sound annunciator module, TCXO, and even the carrying handle and feet. I've used the radio for both weak signal SSB/CW and for satellite communication, and occasionally for local FM. I won't bother going into the plusses and minuses since they've been well covered in other reviews.

Suffice it to say that it was definitely designed with weak signal and satellite work in mind, not local FM (which it can do of course but not with all the extra features like memory labels, etc.) It seems to have good RX sensitivity, great TX power out (as long as SWR is low) and very good frequency stability (as long as you're using the optional TCXO unit). I like the fact I can work on the 23 cm band although there isn't much activity around here on that band. (Wish I had some EME antennas and amps to use with it!)

When I give it a 4 rating, I'm not comparing the radio with contemporary radios like the Icom 9100 or the Yaesu FT-991. Instead, I rate the 910H a 4 because of the difficulty I had with installing all the accessories, and the cost they added to the radio at the time it was new. I think that may have been why the 910H was not more popular than it was. Installing the accessories was like performing open heart surgery it seemed, but at least they all worked. I did have to recalibrate the TCXO because it was pretty far off frequency, and that wasn't too easy.

Bottom line: If you want an Icom 910H for weak signal or satellite work it's still a nice rig. It works well with SatPC32 for satellite communications. I still use mine for uplink due to it's TX power, but I'm using an FT-991 for downlink due to it's nice RX and finding it easier to work satellites with separate rigs.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2015 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Has Worked Great For 10 + Years !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my IC-910H for over 10 years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've used it on FM, SSB as well as CW and it has performed admirably!

After reading a previous review about phase noise and similar issues, I took a look at my unit using my Spectrum Analyzer. Harmonics and other spurious emissions were 65dB or better down! On SSB, the opposite sideband was over 50 db down.

I've used this for weak signal contacts running it into amplifiers, and use it for satellite work. I have made a number of 10 meter/2 meter CW contacts using it on Oscar 7 when it is in sunlight. Each time I was told my 2 meter CW signal sounded great.

Recently Icom has had some issues with some of their newer rigs, but for sure, the older IC-910H isn't one of them!

Besides my IC-910H, I still have an old IC-740 in use which is over 30 years old. Other than changing a few old electrolytics, it still purrs like a kitten!

Bill
K1FPV

W0LD Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Good VHF/UHF Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned 910H's since they were introduced to the market. Frankly, I have not experienced the issues some have talked about here. It is an excellent weak signal radio and drives a high power linear with a good signal. I have one that drives a 700 watt linear on 1.2 GHz. and a 1,500 watt SS amp on 2 meters. People have commented on how clean the signal is. In my book, if you can find a mint used radio, but it!

M0AFJ Rating: 1/5 May 6, 2015 09:25 Send this review to a friend
Phase noise  Time owned: months
This rig may look like a good solution to your multiband V/UHF requirements but it is not a good choice. The rig has very poor phase noise performance both on tx and rx, the transmitter radiates broadband noise which can affect locals and from a hill top hams many miles away. Contest groups who have used these have been penalised because of the interference caused. I have one locally and cannot operate on 23 cams when it is in use...
Should be consigned to the skip ( dumpster to my US readers)

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 05:50 Send this review to a friend
The Best VHF/UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a european ( UK )model right from the end of the production run - fully loaded, and it performs excellent.

When using an aerial that has SWR higher than 1:1.5 it will start to reduce the power, a good safety feature. When using an aerial with closer resonance it outputs full power as spec.

A lovely base station that does exactly what it says on the tin !

I thought about buying one of these for a long time - only wish i had done it sooner

If you can find a good one - do not hesitate....Buy it !

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2011 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my first IC-910H and wish I hadn't! I ended up buying another 910H used. The rig works well and is a lot cheaper with 1.2 Ghz. unit than the IC-9100. I have an HF radio and the IC-910H for half the price of the IC-9100. I have not had the problems some of you have had. The IC-910H makes full power, hears well and is an all around good VHF-UHF rig.

N5XO Rating: 3/5 Aug 14, 2011 05:10 Send this review to a friend
A little better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay, after playing with the power cable, crimped down tight the fuse connectors to insure solid contact, tightened up the molex connector for better contact the 910H is now putting out decent power about 92 to 98 watts.

Couple of quirks still rearing up....after a few minutes of talking it drops the power as it heats up...as loud as the fans are, you would think it would suck the heat out better and not need to reduce power.

But holy crap this thing hates SWR, my stacked beams are narrow and have a solid SWR on the call freq, but slide a little up or down and the SWR begins to climb. Nothing that should bother the radio, but power drops rapidly so that 30 to 40 watts is all that is going out. THAT IS SAD.

My review of the receiver has dramatically improved, while the S meter shows a low signal, I was pulling in some very good weak signals that were very easy to copy. So happy with the receiver but with out an amp, this transmitter sucks.

Come on Icom a dedicated VHF/UHF radio base station at the price you sold this for new should work one hell of a lot better than my cheap little yasue mobil for $105.

SV8FMV Rating: 2/5 Jun 20, 2011 02:11 Send this review to a friend
To little for the the big price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The life (with a VHF-UHF transceiver)is not only satellite.
1)Even I found the memory NAMES...where is it ICOM?
2)Where the DCS? (my IC-910H is a 2008 model)
3)...and the better from all.....where is the DTMF?
I feel wonder for this rig!!! Thanks ICOM.
Like all ICOM is a to expensive, i say one more time like a.....GOLD.