Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Noo Elec NESDR RTL 2832 Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Noo Elec NESDR RTL 2832 Receiver
Noo Elec NESDR RTL 2832 Receiver Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$25.00
Description: An upgraded RTL 2832 receiver, that uses higher quality
components. Features a Japanese 0.5PPM TCXO and the latest
R820T2 receiver.
More info: http://www.nooelec.com/store/sdr.html

You can write your own review of the Noo Elec NESDR RTL 2832 Receiver.

KC0WOZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 8, 2017 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Looks like quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the NooElec Smart NESDR and "Ham it Up" in hopes of using it with my Raspberry Pi RPi3. Anyone have any luck finding drivers or applications in this regard? The material appears to he top shelf as far as learning projects for those new to Raspberry Pi and Ham radio.
Best regard,
KC0WOZ (aka Jim)

VE3JAQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent little receiver with amazing value   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the premium version of the USB SDR receiver based on RTL2832 encoding. This version comes in an aluminum casing offering good RFI isolation.
Initially the unit was difficult to install. The drivers were not recognized by windows 7 system and kept trying to install the wrong one. After a fair amount of messing about I was able to locate a newer version of the driver. I had to manually uninstall the windows driver RTL2832IRHID and get the new one recognized. Using this device with HDSDR and SDR# excellent free SDR software, required some precise offset tuning and specific operational parameters. Once this was done WOW! This little $25 receiver performs. I am also using it with the HAM it up converter which allows reception from 100khz up to 40MHZ and with a flick of a switch it activates "Passthrough" mode where I can receive up to 1.7Ghz. This device, along with the Ham it up Converter ( which costs an additional $50) outperforms my Yaesu FT450D. Ok it ain't a K3 but for $75 the performance is outstanding. You also need to use a decent antenna not the minimal one that comes with the unit even though its not bad for the price. My next project is to get this integrated onto my Raspberry PI3 with a 7 inch touch screen and mini keypad! Try this puppy out you wont be disappointed. Make SURE you follow the installation directions and get the LATEST software ( there are a lot of websites with older versions and misleading information.

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2016 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using NooElec's improved RTL2832 receivers for several years, as part of a IF based panadapter system for a Yaesu FTDX-9000. I've had great success using products from NooElec.

Today, I received one of the latest versions of the RTL2832 from NooElec, cost was around $25.00. It has the latest 820T2 Tuner and a 0.5 ppm TCXO. Usually, changing SDR devices when using the less costly RTL 2832 SDR's, it can require changes in the software to compensate for any minor frequency differences. Amazingly, I did not have to change any settings in the software (HDSDR). IMO, that tends to show the products are very consistent with good quality control. It was simply plug and play.

Comparatively, I've experimented with cheaper versions of the RTL2832 SDR from places such as Amazon and eBay. I found those device to be much lower quality and I have seen some performance issues. The ones I have tried seem to become extremely warm and drift. At times, I've noted an increase of false signals on the panadapter. I have never had that issue with the NooElec versions of the RTL2832.

Recently, I decided to try one of the more expensive SDR receivers in the $150 price class. I wish I could say the more expensive unit easily out classed the cheaper NooElec SDR. However, in this specific application, the NooElec NESDR holds it's own.

As a company, my experience with NooElec has always been positive with adequate support.

73, Jim AB4D