Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key
MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Reviews: 45 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Nice beginner's key. Needs adjusmentt quite often though. Again a good starter key. Did not take me long (1 yr) begin looking for an upgrade.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-564X

You can write your own review of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key.

KG7OR Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2017 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Poor design, poor construction.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 564 was unsatisfactory out of the box. The "dit" post was misaligned, such that the paddle contactor wouldn't hit it squarely. I supposed I could have bent it, but there goes the warranty. Besides that, it seemed to fall apart at the slightest touch, with its central assembly simply held in place by a spring. My prior paddle was a Vibrokeyer, and I should've invested my money on another one. That's what I'll do with the refund I get from this one, as it's on its way back to the seller.

K3ZL Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2017 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointed   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is a big disappointment. I could not get it adjusted to my liking. Sent it back to MFJ for adjustment. It lasted about an hour when it seemed to fall apart. I like MFJ, but do not recommend this key. Hope MFJ can redo this key to be more reliable.

HIPPO Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Just like everything else Ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I read the reviews here before I purchased. It seems the primary complaints are screws that don't stay where you put them and a gut impression of poor quality from a cosmetic point of view. So I stopped at the hardware store and bought some thread-locking compound for a few bucks on my way to HRO, picked up the key for $69.99, took it home and sat it on my desk and spent three minutes going over all the screws. I hooked it up to a standalone keyer and played with it for awhile and reminded myself only once that it is a tool designed to perform a task, not an artwork to sit on a shelf, and enjoyed the feel and operation of my first iambic paddle key. I guess I must be too inexperienced to be disappointed.

KH6AQ Rating: 2/5 Jul 8, 2016 09:23 Send this review to a friend
fell apart  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-564 paddle I owned would fall apart in the middle of QSOs. It looks good but doesn't work good.

G7SYW Rating: 3/5 Jan 5, 2016 16:38 Send this review to a friend
It's OK...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having sold up all my gear and taken a break from ham radio for about 5 years I've come back to the hobby and started to "re-stock" the shack.
As I had one of these paddles a few years ago, I thought I would buy another one (new), and it arrived a couple of days ago.
I have to say, the quality of the manufacturing has gone the way most things have, the pivot screws are loose, and I've put a spot of thread-locking compound on them to stop them moving. The chrome plating has tiny pits in it, although it doesn't affect the operation of the key, perhaps I was expecting too much from a relatively cheap paddle.
On the positive side, it does the job nicely, and it looks pretty sitting on the shack table. I decided against buying the MFJ cable kit as it's such a simple job to make one up yourself.

KC8CB Rating: 1/5 Feb 11, 2015 19:14 Send this review to a friend
don't waste your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
donn't waste your money. cord (another $12.00) comes with lugs soldered on. the solder job was terrible, wires broke off while trying to hookup to key.
strain? connector is a pc of plastic that is really a wire clamp, did not hold wire (too big) so i had to correct that also. i wasted $80.00 on a poorly designed and constructed key. i would be ashamed to say i designed it. difficult to keep contacts adjusted.

VE3JSO Rating: 4/5 Sep 19, 2014 20:46 Send this review to a friend
good for a starter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i just got this mfj-564 key it is worth the $$$ you spend for someone just starting to learn cw i have tried the straight key the bug and the mfj-564 beats them hands down the only thing i wish they did with the key is to put something to lock the contacts in place so you don't have to keep adjusting it and come with a cable to hook it up right out of the box

W4ZFL Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2014 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Great economical paddle!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first paddle I had that I bought to operate C.w. with my Yaesu FT-990 which has very fast C.W. break in. I like the reasonable price and my XYL didn't object to the purchase. I have the model with the chrome base. As a teenager I had used a Vibroplex bug in the 1950s. I also used the paddle in Indonesia when I was licensed as YB0AWU/YB2.

KH6AQ Rating: 1/5 Sep 16, 2013 08:28 Send this review to a friend
do not buy this  Time owned: more than 12 months
This paddle goods good and is inexpensive but it's quite delicate. Mine would self destruct in the middle of QSOs and it ended up in the trash.

NY7Q Rating: 0/5 Sep 6, 2013 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Piece of Junk key  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, it is not a dual paddle key. It is dual finger piece speed key.
compared to BY-1, it is slight above Junk category.
BY-1 compared to Vibroplex comparable model is junk elite.
There are some very good dual finger piece keys for Iambic use and single finger piece keys for non iambic, but MFJ is not one of them...
sorry, but my opinion is based on daily cw usage for the last half century.