Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key
MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Reviews: 50 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Nice beginner's key. Needs adjusmentt quite often though. Again a good starter key. Did not take me long (1 yr) begin looking for an upgrade.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key.

K9RE Rating: 3/5 Jan 11, 2018 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Give it a chance!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This paddle is a "steal" compared to what you would have to pay if you were to buy the "original" from the "big name" company. I already own one of theirs but the price has gone way up and I could not justify spending so much money for a second one on something that is basically a fancy SPDT switch.

It is attractive looking and the base is heavy. It feels like quality for sure. That said, mine was WAY out of adjustment when it arrived. Even though it was well packed and did not show any signs of being dropped or damaged, one paddle was jammed closed while the other one was completely off the bearings and out of alignment. It took me quite some time fiddling with all of the various adjustments to get everything lined up and working properly. I was worried that it would not work, but it does.

As others have pointed out, some of the adjustment screws are very loose and I doubt they will stay in adjustment unless I do something to lock them down. I don't know if thread-locker is the best choice because I may want to change the settings in the future. I may look for a different solution.

They do not include the Allen wrench that is needed for adjustment. This is unfortunate; none of the ones I have in my toolbox appear to fit properly. This is an inexpensive item and it is absolutely needed to set up the key properly. They should certainly have provided one with the unit.

In summary, it is not the "big name" unit but if you are patient, you can get it working correctly. I'm pleased with mine.
AF4KK Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2018 00:09 Send this review to a friend
Not a problem at all!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, a few tiny drops of Thread-Lock solves the problem in short order! After that, it works and it works well. I have several (among other brands) and they all do very well for me!
W7KKK Rating: 3/5 Jan 4, 2018 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Just fix it  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had several keys in the past.
This is a good beginner key, maybe just a little better for the price.
Like others have said, just get some thread lock so once you have it adjusted it does not move.
Simple solution.
N9AOP Rating: 2/5 Nov 23, 2017 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Bad Clone  Time owned: months
I adjusted one for a friend. Why this key which is similar to the Bencher (now Vibroplex owned) can be such a mess is beyond me because they are very similar. Also, if you are a 'slap keyer' this type of key will not survive--get a Vibroplex or Kent.
KM6HFR Rating: 0/5 Nov 23, 2017 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Awful - Waste of Money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The set screws don't stay in place. Needs constant readjustment. Very poor quality and workmanship. I just ordered a Begali to replace it.
KG7OR Rating: 1/5 Jul 2, 2017 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Poor design, poor construction.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 564 was unsatisfactory out of the box. The "dit" post was misaligned, such that the paddle contactor wouldn't hit it squarely. I supposed I could have bent it, but there goes the warranty. Besides that, it seemed to fall apart at the slightest touch, with its central assembly simply held in place by a spring. My prior paddle was a Vibrokeyer, and I should've invested my money on another one. That's what I'll do with the refund I get from this one, as it's on its way back to the seller.
K3ZL Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2017 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointed   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This key is a big disappointment. I could not get it adjusted to my liking. Sent it back to MFJ for adjustment. It lasted about an hour when it seemed to fall apart. I like MFJ, but do not recommend this key. Hope MFJ can redo this key to be more reliable.
HIPPO Rating: 4/5 Sep 9, 2016 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Just like everything else Ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I read the reviews here before I purchased. It seems the primary complaints are screws that don't stay where you put them and a gut impression of poor quality from a cosmetic point of view. So I stopped at the hardware store and bought some thread-locking compound for a few bucks on my way to HRO, picked up the key for $69.99, took it home and sat it on my desk and spent three minutes going over all the screws. I hooked it up to a standalone keyer and played with it for awhile and reminded myself only once that it is a tool designed to perform a task, not an artwork to sit on a shelf, and enjoyed the feel and operation of my first iambic paddle key. I guess I must be too inexperienced to be disappointed.
KH6AQ Rating: 2/5 Jul 8, 2016 09:23 Send this review to a friend
fell apart  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The MFJ-564 paddle I owned would fall apart in the middle of QSOs. It looks good but doesn't work good.
G7SYW Rating: 3/5 Jan 5, 2016 16:38 Send this review to a friend
It's OK...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having sold up all my gear and taken a break from ham radio for about 5 years I've come back to the hobby and started to "re-stock" the shack.
As I had one of these paddles a few years ago, I thought I would buy another one (new), and it arrived a couple of days ago.
I have to say, the quality of the manufacturing has gone the way most things have, the pivot screws are loose, and I've put a spot of thread-locking compound on them to stop them moving. The chrome plating has tiny pits in it, although it doesn't affect the operation of the key, perhaps I was expecting too much from a relatively cheap paddle.
On the positive side, it does the job nicely, and it looks pretty sitting on the shack table. I decided against buying the MFJ cable kit as it's such a simple job to make one up yourself.