Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key
MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Nice beginner's key. Needs adjusmentt quite often though. Again a good starter key. Did not take me long (1 yr) begin looking for an upgrade.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-564X

You can write your own review of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key.

M0JHA Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2010 08:39 Send this review to a friend
does what its supposed to  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only just got this today, i did a bit of searching re the unit and was met with mixed reviews. There were reports of the pivot screws being loose which is indeed what i found.

Ok now some would slate mfj for this , why? its not a 400 paddle. i simply put a very small blob of resin on the thread of the pivot stop screw , set it up and job done.

iv used the unit today and works as it should , no issues as yet. So any complaints from me ? No the slightly loose screws was a 1 min fix and if thats all thats going to be wrong with it i think i got an ok deal..

billy

WA7KGX Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2010 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Still learning.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one the other day on a whim.
It was only twenty bucks. It started me on a project to get going on the code.

I think I learned a few things about it when I "customized" the cord. There wasn't anything wrong with the cord that was on it; I just didn't quite like it. I got a 6 foot "guitar cable" with a limp black wire and cut it in two.

Changing the cable involved a major tear-down of the key. Parts fell off and the spring poppped out.

Two screws serve double duty as electrical connections and mounting the contact posts to the chassis. If they are not tight the contact adjustments will wander. If they are too tight one can't adjust the contact orientation. Some of the problems with drifting adjustments may be caused by these screws not being tight enough.

When I reassembled the key I set the contact spacing very tight. I didn't like it so I reset the spacing to about 1 mm.

Almost 50 years ago (arghhh!) I learned the hard way that some contacts need a certain amount of current through them to keep working smoothly. Adding a transistor to lower the switching current actually caused some contacts to lose signal. I don't know if some paddles need more current than an electronic keyer provides to keep working their best.

With a professional looking cable and plug my 564 now looks as if it cost twice as much.

KA2DDX Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2010 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these on the air for 3 years or more and used it extensively. The only complaint I ever had was that it won't hold it's settings and tends to get a little sloppy. But, it's performance was relatively consistent and I enjoyed it for quite awhile. It has been replaced by a Kent TP-2 (which I liked a lot) and that has been replaced by a Begali Magnetic Classic. The Begali is by far the best. For the money, the MFJ does the job reasonably well. But for higher performance, you go with something else.

W9CPI Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took a much more expensive paddle off the air because of reliability problems in the heat and humidity. The MFJ-564 has worked very well these last two years. Just a bit of something on the threads of the adjustment screws to hold the setting. I think it is a great value, and would recommend it to anyone who wanted an inexpensive way to go iambic. The chrome model looks good on the desk.
Steve, ZP9EH/W9CPI

KG4TQQ Rating: 2/5 May 17, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Poor, even for the lower price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this product from AES and when it came, it was obviously a MFJ product. I was not impressed as I had to take it apart and glue a small plastic piece on it. I found this was a problem when I tried to adjust it. I finally did get it repaired and adjusted but it was very frustrating. I was very hesitant about purchasing it because of the reputation of MFJ. I do have some things from MFJ that work great but I also have some that do not work so great. I am not going to say I won't buy from them again but I will say they are not my 1st or 2nd choice. Again, Let me repeat something that is said in many of these reviews. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

SV2HWR Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
good for its money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the mfj iambic paddle abt 8-9 months and i am very satisfied because with a "light" touch you get the dits-dots but i rated with 4 because the screws are lossing their possition and you have to re-adjust them. I put a piece of papper on those two screws and its SUPERB.
Anyhow i prefer a better(and more expensive) solution like BEGALI.
YOU GET WHATEVER YOU PAY

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2010 14:40 Send this review to a friend
NOT a piece of junk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I see a lot of hams down this key because of the screw working loose. So far mine hasnt come apart! Maybe they are tinkering with the key? I dont know, but my key works just fine and i have no complaints! I think some people like to down MFJ stuff just to have something to gripe about.
Someday, i want to get a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer but or now, this little gem will do just fine! :-)

26JLH Rating: 1/5 Mar 2, 2010 09:42 Send this review to a friend
total heep of excrament  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
pivot screws work lose, porely put together you have to mend the thing before you can use it,stay away from this chunk of worthless poo.
parts ok, lacks lock screws on pivot points you will need to glue it.and this is a ham radio key ?? i would not use it as a door stop. total rubish,, stinks,, jeff M6GLH..

KI4WCQ Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2009 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Better than what I was using  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Never having used anything but an old SK, I didn't find CW to be a whole lot of fun. I picked one of these up for $30 at a ham fest that was practically unused. I found code to now be enjoyable. I experienced the same loss of adjustment mentioned by other reviewers. My fix was to look in my tool chest and put some Permatex on the screws. This locks them, yet still allows adjustment if desired.

I'm sure I'll get a nicer paddle someday, but this is doing the job for me as I learn.

VE3OIJ Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2009 08:36 Send this review to a friend
Cheap. Will get you started...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this when I first got my HF privileges. I didn't have a lot of money, and this was a nice price. It does work. I passed my morse code test with this key.

But... you'll need to fiddle with it every time you move it, breath on it hard, undergo a couple days of temperature fluctuations, because the month has an R in the name, and just "because". Mine never stayed in adjustment. The fact of the thing always having to be setup every time I wanted to work some CW was very discouraging as a new opeator.

You get what you pay for, I guess.