Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key
MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key Reviews: 43 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Nice beginner's key. Needs adjusmentt quite often though. Again a good starter key. Did not take me long (1 yr) begin looking for an upgrade.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-564x Dual Paddle Key.

WA7NCL Rating: 3/5 Jan 21, 2012 17:36 Send this review to a friend
The usual MFJ quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Whenever I buy MFJ I always consider it a "partial kit". You can always count on having to modify it a little.

I bought this for camping and Fielday -- something I could take into the woods and not worry about beating it up.

When you get it, all the screws are loose. You need to tighten the ones in the base. The contact adjusters and set screw need to be removed and the split pedestal needs to be squeezed gently with a vise grips to get the locking screws to clamp the adjuster screw. The throw adjusters were threaded too sloppy so for them the only thing is to use some sort of thread locking compound after adjustment. I used clear nail polish.

After modification, it works nearly as well as my Bencher. So I am happy enough.
KI4GJV Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
This is a great paddle for the money.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some folks seem to have problems with just about everything. This $70.00 paddle works. It don't cost $200. + and doesn't pretend to. MFJ is a easy target I guess.
KF7YN Rating: 2/5 Jun 8, 2011 16:09 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this new intended for camping, field day, etc on a "buy it now" price too good to pass up, knowing full well MFJ quality is iffy these days.

When I got it, it keyed my radio all by itself! I took it apart and noticed there was metal shaving imbedded in the right hand plastic sleeve that holds the contact post. It was obviously left over from drilling and the post hole was never cleaned out or inspected.

After prying the piece of metal out, it still continued to key my radio. I measured from post to ground and read <100K ohms. Apparently the entire plastic sleeve is impregnated with metal bits. So I cleaned it up best I could and put nylon thread tape on the screw to make it work. All-in-all, a poor copy of the venerable Bencher BY-1.

Having been a commercial CW op on a merchant ship for many years, I know CW gear and the MFJ 564 is a pile o' crap.
N4UE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2011 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not being a CW 'expert', but a lowly 13 WPM Extra, I can't believe some of the negative reviews of this paddle.
I have a 'look alike' Bencher and the MFJ is a great copy.

After reading the reviews below, all I can say is:

"If you can't adjust this paddle, PLEASE don't work on your own car or anything else mechanical!!!".

This thing could NOT be more simple.

(been hamming for 50 years)
M0JHA Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2010 08:39 Send this review to a friend
does what its supposed to  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only just got this today, i did a bit of searching re the unit and was met with mixed reviews. There were reports of the pivot screws being loose which is indeed what i found.

Ok now some would slate mfj for this , why? its not a 400 paddle. i simply put a very small blob of resin on the thread of the pivot stop screw , set it up and job done.

iv used the unit today and works as it should , no issues as yet. So any complaints from me ? No the slightly loose screws was a 1 min fix and if thats all thats going to be wrong with it i think i got an ok deal..

WA7KGX Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2010 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Still learning.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one the other day on a whim.
It was only twenty bucks. It started me on a project to get going on the code.

I think I learned a few things about it when I "customized" the cord. There wasn't anything wrong with the cord that was on it; I just didn't quite like it. I got a 6 foot "guitar cable" with a limp black wire and cut it in two.

Changing the cable involved a major tear-down of the key. Parts fell off and the spring poppped out.

Two screws serve double duty as electrical connections and mounting the contact posts to the chassis. If they are not tight the contact adjustments will wander. If they are too tight one can't adjust the contact orientation. Some of the problems with drifting adjustments may be caused by these screws not being tight enough.

When I reassembled the key I set the contact spacing very tight. I didn't like it so I reset the spacing to about 1 mm.

Almost 50 years ago (arghhh!) I learned the hard way that some contacts need a certain amount of current through them to keep working smoothly. Adding a transistor to lower the switching current actually caused some contacts to lose signal. I don't know if some paddles need more current than an electronic keyer provides to keep working their best.

With a professional looking cable and plug my 564 now looks as if it cost twice as much.
KA2DDX Rating: 4/5 May 18, 2010 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Good for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had one of these on the air for 3 years or more and used it extensively. The only complaint I ever had was that it won't hold it's settings and tends to get a little sloppy. But, it's performance was relatively consistent and I enjoyed it for quite awhile. It has been replaced by a Kent TP-2 (which I liked a lot) and that has been replaced by a Begali Magnetic Classic. The Begali is by far the best. For the money, the MFJ does the job reasonably well. But for higher performance, you go with something else.
W9CPI Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2010 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took a much more expensive paddle off the air because of reliability problems in the heat and humidity. The MFJ-564 has worked very well these last two years. Just a bit of something on the threads of the adjustment screws to hold the setting. I think it is a great value, and would recommend it to anyone who wanted an inexpensive way to go iambic. The chrome model looks good on the desk.
Steve, ZP9EH/W9CPI
NT4Z Rating: 2/5 May 17, 2010 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Poor, even for the lower price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this product from AES and when it came, it was obviously a MFJ product. I was not impressed as I had to take it apart and glue a small plastic piece on it. I found this was a problem when I tried to adjust it. I finally did get it repaired and adjusted but it was very frustrating. I was very hesitant about purchasing it because of the reputation of MFJ. I do have some things from MFJ that work great but I also have some that do not work so great. I am not going to say I won't buy from them again but I will say they are not my 1st or 2nd choice. Again, Let me repeat something that is said in many of these reviews. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
SV2HWR Rating: 4/5 Mar 22, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
good for its money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the mfj iambic paddle abt 8-9 months and i am very satisfied because with a "light" touch you get the dits-dots but i rated with 4 because the screws are lossing their possition and you have to re-adjust them. I put a piece of papper on those two screws and its SUPERB.
Anyhow i prefer a better(and more expensive) solution like BEGALI.