Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | AOR LA400 Magnetic Loop Help

Reviews Summary for AOR LA400 Magnetic Loop
AOR LA400 Magnetic Loop Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$516
Description: Indoor, tunable pre amplified (20db) magnetic loop for desk
or window mounting. This is a receive only antenna.
More info: http://www.aorja.com/antennas/la400.html

You can write your own review of the AOR LA400 Magnetic Loop.

KN4VV Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 05:37 Send this review to a friend
Serves Purpose  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this back in the summer when the ham/swl bug bit again after 20 years. I use it with a CommRadio CR-1a in our bedroom as a casual listening post. It has exceeded my expectations.

For its small size, it packs quite a punch. For example, ~0300z on 25 Oct I monitored A92GE running a pileup on 40cw. Around 1 Sept I monitored VP6J. Being a loop, it exhibits some directivity, and it is sensitive to siting.

I have only really compared it to my Chameleon F Loop +. (I did temporarily run a random wire throughout the house, and the LA400 seemed much better - less noise.) The more time I spend w/ both the F Loop and the LA400 simultaneously on my FT-817nd, the more the two seem equal in performance at my indoor location. A true engineering evaluation probably could identify performance differences, but for 'general operating' it tends to be hard to tell if the differences are the antenna, qsb, or if the tuning (critical for these loops) is not spot on.

I have not used the LA400 much above HF (I have listened to some air traffic and NOAA weather stations) so I can't comment other than to say it obviously works as a general purpose small antenna. I use it quite a bit on MW where it performs well; the side nulls being useful at the upper end of the band when trying to isolate a signal.

With the CR-1a, the footprint is small, and the design looks enough like 'retro art' that it has spouse approval to be on the side table next to the easy chair in our bedroom. It hears well enough to be very enjoyable, not frustrating, to use.

Yes, it costs a lot. But it works, and I use it almost daily so I figure I will get my money's worth over time, unlike some other 'gadgets'....

So if you need a broadband antenna with a footprint that's smaller than a coffee maker, are flexible about siting, and can accommodate the ~12v requirement (no internal battery), I think you will be surprised how well this performs!

KN4VV Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2016 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Serves Purpose  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I have only really compared it to my Chameleon F Loop +. (I did temporarily run a random wire throughout the house, and the LA400 seemed much better - less noise.) B/w the LA400 and the F Loop: everything I could hear in the LA400 I could hear, and more clearly (therefore enjoyably), in the F Loop; almost everything I could hear in the F Loop I could hear in the LA400, but not everything.

I have not used it much above HF (I have listened to some air traffic and NOAA weather stations). I use it quite a bit on MW, and it shines there too!

So if you need a broadband antenna with a footprint the smaller than a coffee maker, are flexible about siting, and can accommodate the ~12v requirement (no internal battery), I think you will be surprised how well this performs!

G4MJA Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2016 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Whilst certainly not cheap for those who can't put up a receive only outdoor antenna this I believe is the ideal answer. A small loop 1' in diameter mounted on a small control box approximately 4.5" X 4" with two controls, one for band switching & one to tune the loop.An optional 2 cable extension pack is available so that the loop can be separated from the control box by up to 30' & mounted in a clear area such as a window. The loop is not waterproof & not suitable for outdoor use.Here in the UK today with the loop mounted on it's control box on my desk & connected to my Icom IC-R8500 I received Radio Australia & Voice Of Korea, pretty impressive performance for such a small loop.