Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | SOTABEAMS Bandspringer Midi Help

Reviews Summary for SOTABEAMS Bandspringer Midi
SOTABEAMS Bandspringer Midi Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $31.64
Description: 10m-60m longwire antenna. From the link included below:
"A great antenna for operators who like to travel fast and light; the new Bandspringer weighs in at just 190g (6 1/2 Oz).
... The Bandspringer is a multi-band long-wire antenna. The length has been carefully chosen to ensure that it will work with the internal antenna tuners in portable radios such as the K1*, KX1, KX2, KX3 and K2. It will also work well with LDG tuners and the Elecraft T1. Note that the Bandspringer must be used with an antenna tuner—it is fine for use with an FT817 or similar radio with a suitable antenna tuner.

If you want to support your Bandspringer on a pole, I recommend our 7m SOTApole. Any pole between 5 and 7m will be fine. Longer poles can be used by extending the nylon cord at the far end of the antenna."
Or, use a tree.

You can write your own review of the SOTABEAMS Bandspringer Midi.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2017 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the SOTABEAMS Bandspringer for emergency work after Hurricane Harvey. It is exactly what I needed to complement my other emergency equipment. Small, light, easy to deploy and all that at a great price. And, it comes in a handy bag. I now have both HF antennas and a roll-up J-Pole for VHF/UHF in the same bag. I'll be running the Bandspringer on either my 817 or 857. I now can deploy two HF antennas and operate on 2 bands, plus V/UHF from one bag. The Bandspringer is super simple to erect and it tunes with the Z817 tuner (or a Z100 for the 857) easily. I recommend this little piece of gear.
KG6LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2017 08:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a multiband antenna I could use on POTA activations. As a QRP operator, I was reluctant to use a non-resonate antenna. Having used the Band Hopper with great success I elected to try the Bandspringer with the Elecraft T-1 tuner. This antenna sets up quickly and has been a real performer. The ability to work 60-10 meters is great, and the signal reports bear out a great antenna.
KD9CDF Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2016 15:18 Send this review to a friend
A Very Pleasant Suprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The beauty is in the details (and the purchase experience).

SOTABEAMS wire antennas are known as the product of simple, proven antenna concepts built into systems that make deployment and use very convenient. The wire winder is a piece of art; Ok, maybe ugly to anyone who doesn't want to unfurl and furl an antenna quickly and without damage. The materials are good, and the collection of hardware and travel bag to hold it all are compact and well designed.

How does it perform? The same way any well-designed (think well chosen length in this case) long wire of good materials would perform with a tuner. But, it performs exceptionally with regard to being simple, compact, more-than-complete, and easy to use because of the winder engineering, elastic bands, stakes, support tab, BNC adapter, and bag to compactly organize and hold it all.

Though I wrote "complete", one end of the antenna must be off the ground. If a tree of other source of elevation doesn't fit your scenario, I can say I am also impressed with the optional SOTABEAMS compact 10m (30') mast. The sections are short enough for the collapsed mast unit to easily fit in my luggage.

Finally, I should mention I ordered the antenna from SOTABEAMS on Sunday night, it shipped on Monday, and it was delivered to Illinois on Friday. Though I opted for the premium shipping to get a tracking number, the cost wasn't excessive considering the distance traveled and the mast tube and box made for a non-standard size. This is a refreshing delivery time considering some U.S. vendors shamefully quote shipping services with eleven day delivery to domestic locations.

I have no financial interest in SOTABEAMS but am happy to report a good experience when earned by a vendor.